LaptopVideo2Go Forums

idt 92hd73c1 Windows 10 control panel

Sennevds

I have an old laptop (dell studio 1555) which I use to watch Netflix.
i've updated(after replacing hdd with ssd) to Windows 10. The sound works fine except the configuration panel isn't there anymore.

I need the config panel because I have connected an old 5.1 surround with 3 3.5mm jacks.
Is there a way to get it back on windows 10?

Edit: no modded driver where the jack configuration works for windows 10???

Edited by Sennevds

the dell studio 1555 is a mid-2009 model that had either pre-installed Vista or Win7; it's almost a decade old

running Win10 on that laptop is a big risk as Dell stopped providing new audio drivers for it in 2010 and IDT went out of the PC audio business at the end of 2013.

latest audio driver listed for studio 1555 is 6.10.0.6267 (must run ALL of the EXE setup files in Windows 7 Compatibility mode under Win10).

if that does not work, at least give me the hardware ID number of the IDT audio device on the Dell studio 1555 laptop and I could make a modded driver though there are no guarantees that a modded driver will work as good as the official non-modded drivers.

example > on my mother's Dell Inspiron 640m/e1405 laptop (a 2007 model - heh even a little older than yours but I'm using Win8.1 on it instead of Vista SP2 and I'm not putting any Win10 version on it), it uses a Sigmatel/IDT Stac9200 audio chip with hardware device ID "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_102801D8"

my policy > no hardware ID mentioned here = no mod

edit 2/13: and another thing, what version of Windows 10 are you running and what edition is it?  Win10 Anniversary Update (v1607 build 14393)?  Win10 Creators Update (v1703 build 15063)?  Win10 Fall Creators Update (v1709 build 16299)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the response I will check the hardware id number tonight. I know it's an old laptop and Windows 10 is not supported but it runs okay.
I'm running windows 10 because of netflix and 5.1 surround. I've installed the latest driver(with Compatibility mode) but still no configuration panel.

ok but be sure to follow joe's example from here.

his hardware ID on his HP Paviliion 500-223w computer is the following:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76F3&SUBSYS_103C2AF7&REV_1002
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76F3&SUBSYS_103C2AF7

The big reason why I ask for hardware ID is because the IDT Audio driver uses specific configuration INI files to setup the IDT audio device based on specific ID(s) used (also I don't wanna play guessing games as to what IDT audio hardware ID a person is using on the computer)

unfortunately, my family & I are switching internet providers soon (dumping DSL for cable internet), so I won't be available online until that transition is completed.

IDT sometimes just can't get their control panel UI right - and they got out of the PC audio business near the end of 2013 (they basically threw in the towel) and sold off their AC97/HDA products to Tempo Semiconductor inc., they just did not have the time/energy, the money & the manpower anymore to make new drivers (and also to compete against other audio chip makers like Realtek & VIA; unlike IDT & some, Realtek & VIA can produce all-purpose drivers but IDT can only make PC/OEM specific drivers).

Edit 2/26 - do you need a control panel option like this one?

idtaudio-v6504-dell-e1405-newcontrolpanelui-jackconfig.png

or this one:

idt-audio-oldcontrolpanelui-delle1405.png.cbee2fe14539b8b75d9d4431f9c065bd.png

I'm using my mom's Dell e1405 laptop with a modded 6427 driver that uses a new IDT audio control panel UI and I had to modify an INI file, specifying the "location" of where the ports are found.  in the example, they are on the left hand side of the laptop but the color of the ports are actually black (not pink & green).  the IDT audio chip on her laptop is STAC9200, which only provides 2-channel stereo sound only but the built-in speakers nearly sound as good as using plain PC desktop speakers.  here was the control panel of the original 6.10.6514 sigmatel/idt audio dell driver for the e1405 (which was so pathetic):

sigmatel-audio-controlpanel-ui-delle1405.png.0bc4850aab5a96337e0d605fd625480f.png

For true 5.1 sound, you need to connect ALL 3 audio cords to all 3 ports on the Dell Studio 1555 laptop (and that means you can't use the microphone at all; yes you have to connect that 3rd cord from your 5.1 speakers onto that Mic port).

it's the second one I need. the hardware id's are:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802BE&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802BE

all right.  based on the hardware ID provided, it uses the W92HDM66.INI file from the original Dell IDT audio drivers to configure the audio device (I'll have to study how that INI config file works).  the STWRT.ini & STWRT64.ini files list the ID "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802BE" to use the W92HDM66.INI file.

the 1st IDT control panel app uses the newer IDTNCPL.cpl & IDTNC64.cpl files and requires .NET Framework (all versions 2.x/3.x/4.x). the 2nd IDT audio control panel app [the one you need] uses either IDTcpl.cpl or IDTcpl64.cpl file - it's a little older but may not require .net framework.

Under Windows 10, .NET Framework 4.x is installed & used by default but not .NET Framework 3.5, especially when doing a fresh or clean install of Windows 10.  you will need to enable/install .NET Framework 3.5 under Windows 10 from the Program & Features control panel and clicking on "Turn Windows features on or off".  better to be safe than sorry and have both .net framework 3.5 & 4.x versions available in windows 10.

come back between March 3 & March 4 - I will have at least 3 kinds of modded drivers for you to test by then.  in the meantime, you can try out one more driver from Dell - R300304 (IDT audio v6.10.0.6304) - it's compatible with your hardware ID.  before installing the new driver, uninstall the existing driver from Program & Features, reboot and install the new driver and restart.  it's not a good idea to install the new driver on top of the old one [aka. overwriting the old driver with the new one].

Thank you very much.
I will try the linked driver tonight and will let you know if it worked

no problem, sennevds.  looks like the 6304 driver from Dell is a keeper (and with .net framework 3.5 installed under Win10 to get older programs & drivers that depend on the older .net 3.5 working)

let me know if you need the modded drivers or not

the hardest part is creating working INI config files when doing modded drivers (like the W92HDM66.INI config file that worked with the original Dell IDT audio drivers like 6304 & 6267 will not make the audio device work with the modded drivers from other PC manufacturers - I would have to make a bunch of changes [add some things or remove some things] to make the audio device work & not produce the error message "No Audio Output device is installed" with a red X icon appearing on the Speaker tray icon; that's another reason why IDT chose to do PC manufacturer specific drivers - they can't make their drivers work on all their IDT audio chipsets and newer driver versions seem to support only newer IDT audio chips for few specific PC manufacturers that request them [and also to keep costs down].  IDT only listened to OEM/PC manufacturers, not to end-users like you and me.

took many tries (at least 30 attempts) to make my own modded IDT audio drivers that actually work on an old Dell e1405 laptop [and it sure took about 10,000 tries for Thomas Edison to invent the light bulb centuries ago].  making modded drivers is usually never easy, just to let you understand where I come from.

but since the 6304 Dell IDT driver is working for you, no modded driver is needed at this time.

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 8:24 AM, erp-ster7n said:

all right.  based on the hardware ID provided, it uses the W92HDM66.INI file from the original Dell IDT audio drivers to configure the audio device (I'll have to study how that INI config file works).  the STWRT.ini & STWRT64.ini files list the ID "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802BE" to use the W92HDM66.INI file.

the 1st IDT control panel app uses the newer IDTNCPL.cpl & IDTNC64.cpl files and requires .NET Framework (all versions 2.x/3.x/4.x). the 2nd IDT audio control panel app [the one you need] uses either IDTcpl.cpl or IDTcpl64.cpl file - it's a little older but may not require .net framework.

Under Windows 10, .NET Framework 4.x is installed & used by default but not .NET Framework 3.5, especially when doing a fresh or clean install of Windows 10.  you will need to enable/install .NET Framework 3.5 under Windows 10 from the Program & Features control panel and clicking on "Turn Windows features on or off".  better to be safe than sorry and have both .net framework 3.5 & 4.x versions available in windows 10.

come back between March 3 & March 4 - I will have at least 3 kinds of modded drivers for you to test by then.  in the meantime, you can try out one more driver from Dell - R300304 (IDT audio v6.10.0.6304) - it's compatible with your hardware ID.  before installing the new driver, uninstall the existing driver from Program & Features, reboot and install the new driver and restart.  it's not a good idea to install the new driver on top of the old one [aka. overwriting the old driver with the new one].

THANKS!!!  Your solution solved the small problem I was having to restore the original 5.1 IDT sound drivers and control software on my Dell Studio 1735 system running 32-bit Windows 10 Home edition. Once windows realized what software dell was installing, it installed the latest Microsoft IDT drivers from April 11, 2018,  version 10.0.17134.1 

Works Great!!!

Brian L. Raney

Edited by brianlraney