LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Macbook Pro Mid 2010 17in nVidia GeForce GT330M Windows 10 mod Driver

Dat Verse

Hi,

My Laptop is:

Macbook Pro Mid 2010 17in 

VGA Cards:

- Intel HD Graphics (Intel Core I5 M540)

- nVidia GeForece GT330M

I installed successful Windows 10 pro on this laptop with all drivers.

But VGA (Graphics) Drivers got issue:

(This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31))

(Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43))

(Please view the attach files)

I try installed many driver version but still got issue and many problems.

Can you help me "mod" the nvidia driver for this macbook model with windows 10?

Thanks. :)

1.png

2.png

3.png

download Intel driver 8.15.10.2900 from Microsoft

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2013/04/200000263_dcb0607954adad6f676a8ee3f8e57a10b239e9dd.cab

install driver via have disk method as described at:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface (ignore prolog about MS surface, treat CAB like ZIP)

latest NVIDIA driver for your legacy GPU is 342.01

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/112596/en-us

get modified INF here

https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/31728-geforce-34201-fujitsu/

disable driver signatures as described in our FAQ section

HI @StefanG3D,

So many thanks about your reply.

I trying with your help.

I will report about this. :D

HI @StefanG3D,

I try install  Intel driver 8.15.10.2900 as you recommendation.

But when install the laptop suddenly restart too many time and after that windows 10 try restore the old driver.

I think I will re-install the windows 10.

:D 

Hi,

My current issue is: "Can not install the intel HD Graphic driver".

When install this the Macbook Pro being suddenly restart. 

I am trying install new Windows 10 in this macbook and got same issue when install HD Graphic Driver.

Maybe the Issue is the CPU of my Macbook Pro not supported UEFI boot? I wondering about this.

Are you have any idea to help me. :D

Thanks.

What about if you install the NV driver first then Intel

Also extract drivers, then use Device Manager to install the drivers, installer might be throwing a wobbly

Hi,

So many thank your reply.

I trying install the "mod" nVidia Driver as you recommend.

The Hardware Ids of nVidia GeForce GT330M is:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_00C8106B&REV_A2
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_00C8106B
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&CC_0300

I add the code:

NVIDIA_DEV.0A29 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M"

----

be viewed like this:

[Strings]
DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows Vista / 7 / 8 (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"
NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"

;GPU's by www.laptopvideo2go.com
NVIDIA_DEV.0A29 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M"
NVIDIA_DEV.06A0 = "NVIDIA GT214"
NVIDIA_DEV.06B0 = "NVIDIA GT214 "
NVIDIA_DEV.06C0 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480"

But

When install I can see the "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M" in Model list.

(Please view the attach files for more detail).

I send you the INF file too.

Please review it and help me.

So many thanks about your help :D

a83534b9e5a3aedcc77d96a48358690e.png

db7dc1a68eee2b41f575e5fc657f5efa.png

2defb038252951e1e932923bec83472e.png

NVFM.inf

Try the attached, you forgot about the PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29 near beginning of INF, and thats why you see the above

NVFM.inf

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

But finally, my macbook pro and windows 10 require intel driver before install nvidia.

We can not install the mod nvidia driver first.

I think the core of problem is about cpu, intel vga and windows 10 os not support on this macbook pro.

So many thanks about your time and your help for my case.

I will re install windows 7 for this laptop.

I have many knowledge on this case.

• 2 months later...

Hi I recently?succeed to resolve this problem! and sharing it here

My system is mbp 6,2 (mid 2010 i5)/ nvidia gt330m/ osx highsierra, windows10 (efi?booting)

It may be? LVDS problem?(https://www.mail-archive.com/intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org/msg01337.html)

So I decided disable IntelHD Graphics when booting.

1. Install GRUB2 on EFI partition

1.1 SIP disable (single user mode : csrutil disable)

1.2 copy grub files to EFI partition from ubuntu live dvd (I could not found how to install grub2 to EFI using ubuntu live dvd so I manually install it)
/efi/boot/grubx64.efi > /efi/boot/grubx64.efi
/boot/grub/*.* > /boot/grub/*.*

1.3 add menu entry (/efi/grub/grub.cfg)
menuentry "Windows10" {

setpci -s "00:01.0" 3e.b=8 #remap pci lane for intel vga
    setpci -s "01:00.0" 04.b=7 #remap pci lane for nvidia vga

setpci -s 00:00.0 50.W=2 #disable intel vga (maybe)
    setpci -s 00:00.0 54.B=3 #set main vga to nvidia

search -s root -f /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD  #search microsoft boot bcd location and set root
    chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi #load efi boot file
}

2. Install reFind
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/

3. reboot select grub > select Windows10

this is how I disable IntelHD vga

helpful links
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro8,1/8,2/8,3_(2011)

etc
Everything works greatly except lcd brightness controls

final.PNG.ecc21c6e162f756b1a956a8e31f9d94f.PNG

Edited by Deathrave

• 8 months later...
On 7/5/2018 at 4:50 AM, Deathrave said:

Just wanted to say thanks to the guy above, you're a genius! This helped me fix Nvidia issues in win10 as well on MacBookPro6,2!

UPDATE: reading through the CPU datasheet I found out that one of the commands uses incorrect register: it must be 52, not 50, and it's sufficient to modify only a single byte of the register. Instructions below are updated to reflect that. Note that if your CPU is different from those, register 50 might actually be correct - the only right way to find it out is to read your CPU datasheet (or just check in EFI shell if 50 and 51 have all zeros - if yes, then 52 is the right one).

But I went one step further and got rid of GRUB by translating the GRUB's setpci calls into EFI's mm calls, which are executed directly from rEFInd. Steps to do this:

1. Download EFI 1.1 shell
  2. Install rEFInd https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/
  3. Copy EFI shell file downloaded in 1) to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/tools/shell.efi (destination filename must be exactly shell.efi). If you're doing this not immediately after installing rEFInd in Recovery mode, you'll probably need to mount the EFI volume from Terminal first:
    sudo diskutil mount disk0s1
  4. Open /Volumes/EFI/EFI/refind/refind.conf with your favourite text editor and add a new menu entry in the bottom: 
    menuentry "Windows 10" {
        icon \EFI\refind\icons\os_win.png
        loader \EFI\tools\shell.efi
        options "fs0:\EFI\tools\launch_windows_disable_iGPU.nsh"
    }

5. Use your favourite text editor again and create file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/tools/launch_windows_disable_iGPU.nsh with the following contents:
    mm 000001003e 1 ;PCI :8
    mm 0001000004 1 ;PCI :7
    mm 0000000052 1 ;PCI :2
    mm 0000000054 1 ;PCI :3

fs0:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

6. You're done! Reboot now and select new menu entry "Windows 10" in rEFInd to boot Windows with the working Nvidia adapter.

Some details:

• if you want to actually understand what these commands do, read the CPU datasheet linked above or check my description at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/running-windows-with-fully-disabled-dgpu-on-an-old-mbp.2368512/post-31779359
  • on step 4 you're telling rEFInd that you'd like to execute EFI shell script which you pass in the options parameter instead of direct booting to OS
  • launch_windows_disable_iGPU.nsh script contains the converted setpci calls from step 1.3 of the original guide, as well as starting Windows boot process
  • your main EFI volume is mapped to fs0: in EFI shell (in my setup I launch windows from USB HDD, hence my MS boot loader is located at its own EFI volume on the external disk, and I use fs8: in the script - you can find these mappings by launching EFI shell from rEFInd menu and entering `map -b fs*`)
  • for w/e reason, mm's command syntax is different when executing in the shell manually, which I add for the sake of completeness (btw leading zeros can be omitted) :
    mm 000001003e 8 -pci
    mm 0001000004 7 -pci
    mm 0000000052 2 -pci
    mm 0000000054 3 -pci

Edited by kambala_decapitator
fixed one of mm commands

Nice job kambala_decapitator !!!

I will try it sooner or later

Thank you~

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

Can someone upload the modified drivers? Links not working.

Macbook Pro 6.1 / 1297 / i7 620M / Nvidia GT 330m
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_00C8106B&REV_A2
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_18
Win10 64 Bit 1809

Thanks

• 6 months later...
On 3/15/2019 at 5:43 PM, kambala_decapitator said:

Just wanted to say thanks to the guy above, you're a genius! This helped me fix Nvidia issues in win10 as well on MacBookPro6,2!

But I went one step further and got rid of GRUB by translating the GRUB's setpci calls into EFI's mm calls, which are executed directly from rEFInd. Steps to do this:

3. Copy EFI shell file downloaded in 1) to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/tools/shell.efi (destination filename must be exactly shell.efi). If you're doing this not immediately after installing rEFInd in Recovery mode, you'll probably need to mount the EFI volume from Terminal first:

4. Open /Volumes/EFI/EFI/refind/refind.conf with your favourite text editor and add a new menu entry in the bottom: 

menuentry "Windows 10" {
    }

5. Use your favourite text editor again and create file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/tools/launch_windows_disable_iGPU.nsh with the following contents:

mm 0000000050 2 ;PCI :2

6. You're done! Reboot now and select new menu entry "Windows 10" in rEFInd to boot Windows with the working Nvidia adapter.

Some details:

• on step 4 you're telling rEFInd that you'd like to execute EFI shell script which you pass in the options parameter instead of direct booting to OS
  • launch_windows_disable_iGPU.nsh script contains the converted setpci calls from step 1.3 of the original guide, as well as starting Windows boot process
  • your main EFI volume is mapped to fs0: in EFI shell (in my setup I launch windows from USB HDD, hence my MS boot loader is located at its own EFI volume on the external disk, and I use fs8: in the script - you can find these mappings by launching EFI shell from rEFInd menu and entering `map -b fs*`)
  • for w/e reason, mm's command syntax is different when executing in the shell manually, which I add for the sake of completeness:

mm 000001003e 8 -pci
    mm 0001000004 7 -pci
    mm 0000000050 2 -w 2 -pci
    mm 0000000054 3 -pci

Thanks  kambala_decapitator

It works perfectly but unfortunately i cant change LCD Brightness at all. Do you have any solution for that ?!

4 hours ago, Goldenstarc said:

Thanks  kambala_decapitator

It works perfectly but unfortunately i cant change LCD Brightness at all. Do you have any solution for that ?!

Yes, unfortunately, brightness can't be changed. The only things I found that might help (but haven't tested them yet) are:

• https://computeco.de/DyingLight.html
  • https://github.com/navhaxs/BrightnessTray

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I am not so good on informatic as all the users i read here, but i am sure you will be able to help me.

I have exactly the same problem but with a computer SONY VPCL14M2E.

The same NVIDIA GEFORCE GTM not working after migrating to Windows 10.

When i try to install the new pilot from NVIDIA, it tells me that the device is not found... i think Sony and NVIDIA blocked that.

Can somebody help me.

I have this when i go on devices:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_9060104D&REV_A2
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_9060104D
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&CC_0300

Thankssss a lot for ur help

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 3:13 PM, kambala_decapitator said:

menuentry "Windows 10" {
    }

Some details:

• for w/e reason, mm's command syntax is different when executing in the shell manually, which I add for the sake of completeness:

mm 000001003e 8 -pci
    mm 0001000004 7 -pci
    mm 0000000054 3 -pci

thank you very much @kambala_decapitator
can i ask you how to change mm's commands so i can disable my gt330m and use my integrated only ,because of the defective capacitor on this macbook pro model i cant use the my dedicated card ,is there any way to do it ? 
thank you again

@amnay sorry, I can't tell you the exact commands, as I'm not really familiar with EFI. Maybe command comments from the original poster can help you to find the right values:

On 7/5/2018 at 4:50 AM, Deathrave said:

setpci -s "00:01.0" 3e.b=8 #remap pci lane for intel vga
    setpci -s "01:00.0" 04.b=7 #remap pci lane for nvidia vga

setpci -s 00:00.0 50.W=2 #disable intel vga (maybe)
    setpci -s 00:00.0 54.B=3 #set main vga to nvidia

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2019 at 2:12 PM, kambala_decapitator said:

@amnay sorry, I can't tell you the exact commands, as I'm not really familiar with EFI. Maybe command comments from the original poster can help you to find the right values:

Thank you for the instruction!  Can you give another for Macbook  pro 8,3 (AMD+Intel HD) ?

• 1 month later...

I am also trying to install Windows 10 on my MBP 6,2.

and i am using the driver and modded inf from here:

https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/31728-geforce-34201-fujitsu/

I have added this line to the modded inf mentioned above:

[NVIDIA.Mfg.NTamd64.10.0]
;PCI-ID's by www.laptopvideo2go.com

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A29% = win10mobile,       PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29

and added my modded inf (attached) to the extracted driver directory overwriting the original one.

I am trying to install via the have disk method but i get an error that the system cannot find the file specified.

can someone help please?

NVFM.inf

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 10:13 PM, kambala_decapitator said:

menuentry "Windows 10" {
    }

Some details:

mm 000001003e 8 -pci
    mm 0001000004 7 -pci
    mm 0000000054 3 -pci

Thank you for the solution. However when I choose Windows 10 in rEFInd boot menu the shell terminal booted but does not boot windows. The script in step 5 was not executed and have to be done manually. Only by your method of manually key in the mm command in shell console then boot windows with command the windows is booted with Intel VGA disable. Any idea? 

Nick

Edited by nick4jc

The script file will not execute the command of 

Instead shell return with unrecognised command of 

fs0:\\EFI\\Microsoft\\Boot\\bootmgfw.efi

What did I miss exactly on this part? I can manually boot it up in shell by typing it out to boot Windows 10.

Nick

Edited by nick4jc