LaptopVideo2Go Forums

WINDOWS 10 INSIDER PREVIEW BUILD 17661

Infinity7

Win 10 Insider Preview build 17661 is now released to Insiders on the Fast Ring and Skip Ahead both.
Microsoft blog gives details: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/05/03/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17661/#Mt8a3T9euk1m7ptk.97

• Focus assist improvements when gaming: Now Focus assist will turn on automatically when you’re playing any full screen game. No more interruptions when you’re crushing it. This behavior should be turned on automatically, but you can always check by going to Settings > System > Focus assist and ensuring the “When I’m playing a game” automatic rule is enabled.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Game Bar not appearing for some Insiders after pressing WIN+G.

Ahem... "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware."  🤨

EDIT: Two more tries with same result. None of the previous Insider builds had this problem.

6 hours ago, LSudlow said:

Ahem... "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware."  🤨

EDIT: Two more tries with same result. None of the previous Insider builds had this problem.

Odd.

Maybe if you updated a driver or a bios first and rebooted, maybe the update would work after that.

1 hour ago, Infinity7 said:

Odd.

Maybe if you updated a driver or a bios first and rebooted, maybe the update would work after that.

I'm a driver/BIOS hound running the latest of everything. I'll wait and see what happens with the next build.

Minor rant: It sure seems that Windows Setup ought to be able to tell you exactly what it was trying to do when it failed. I mean, this is what computers are supposed to be GOOD at!

There will be some log somewhere with point of failure

I see you guys have caught up with builds
No issue for me, let it restart went away to do some gardening come back and here I am.

5 hours ago, LSudlow said:

I'm a driver/BIOS hound running the latest of everything. I'll wait and see what happens with the next build.

Minor rant: It sure seems that Windows Setup ought to be able to tell you exactly what it was trying to do when it failed. I mean, this is what computers are supposed to be GOOD at!

Take a look at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/928901/log-files-that-are-created-when-you-upgrade-to-a-new-version-of-window

My specific error message isn't listed and the logs don't specify the failure point After several more failures, I tried running SetupDiag.exe with the following results:

SetupDiag was unable to match to any known failure signatures.
System Information:
    Machine Name = LAPTOP2
    Manufacturer = Dell Inc.
    Model = XPS 15 9560
    HostOSArchitecture = x64
    FirmwareType = UEFI
    BiosReleaseDate = 20180423000000.000000+000
    BiosVendor = 1.9.4
    BiosVersion = 1.9.4
    HostOSVersion = 10.0.17134
    HostOSBuildString = 17134.1.amd64fre.rs4_release.180410-1804
    TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.17661.1001 (rs_prerelease.180428-1349)
    HostOSLanguageId = 1033
    HostOSEdition = Core
    RegisteredAV = 
    FilterDrivers = 
    UpgradeStartTime = 5/5/2018 9:05:49 AM
    UpgradeEndTime = 5/5/2018 10:21:49 AM
    UpgradeElapsedTime = 01:16:00
    CommercialId = Offline
    CV = 
    ReportId = 

probably something to do with the merging of 171xx to 176xx builds
About the only thing one can gather from above

I'm glad that opening File Explorer no longer tabs other openings that was annoying all through 176xx builds