LaptopVideo2Go Forums

PSA: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" on Windows October 2018 Update and How To Fix It

StefanG3D

For those doing a fresh install of Microsoft's latest Windows 10 operating system (version 1809 October 2018 Update), you may encounter an issue with NVIDIA graphics drivers. Namely, a message may pop up when you install the graphics driver, telling you "The standard NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows". The issue is caused by the operating system automatically installing the GeForce 398.36 DCH graphics driver through Windows Update, immediately after first log-on. DCH drivers are also known as "Universal Windows Driver", "UWD", "DCHU", and "Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support App", and leverage the Windows UWP platform for driver control panels while promising simpler updates and maintainability.

If networking is available during the Windows 10 installation, the operating system will automatically look for a graphics driver on Windows Update, which is a good thing, as it simplifies the setup process for the majority of users. At this point, everything will appear to be fine, however, once you attempt to update from that driver to the newest version from NVIDIA's driver download page, the error will appear. This is highly frustrating for some users, who have been reporting the issue on several online forums, including NVIDIA's own, with little attention paid thus far from their developers.

Read full story at TechPowerUp

I get the error after installing a DCH driver (via Control Panel) then trying to install a normal driver
Had to uninstall DCH driver first (via conrttol panel)then able to install normal after a reboot

Looking at Techpowerups process this is possibly a way I could have resolved my issue when first trying to install a DCH driver and also Windows update updating at same time
Then uninstall didn't work, I used DDU app which uninstalled the GF driver and all was well afterwards