LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Folding@Home while in lockdown

mobilenvidia

Cranked up the old Folding@Home account and put my server to work
Seems as if Covid-19 is reinvigorating folding, and enjoying a newly found hip thing to do
Its always been good as it helps with various ailments and modelling various things
Covid-19 just means finding a cure has become a very high priority as 1000's have died
For those with spare computer power, Folding is a very good way to help find cures and makes you feel warm and fuzzy as you are helping
A very good article can be found here on FAH and Covid-19
https://foldingathome.org/covid19/

LaptopVideo has an account for yonks
If you feel the urge to fold, using our account is to be encouraged (Account 134478), but any account is fine by us as long as your folding to help

Here is my setup, that I'm currently using to fold
Dell SC8000 (R720) server
96GB RAM
Dual E5-2640's
Tesla M60 (2x8GB 2x 2048 Cores)

Happy folding

FAH stats II.PNG

FAH stats.PNG

[UPDATE]
Looks like FAH is still having trouble with dishing out Work Units and slow at accepting finished WU's

Pity, FAH can't see to dish out Work Units so server is sitting there doing what it normally does...nothing but waste power
Oh well I did at least try

Big thanks to gtx1650 for helping with folding, I didn't feel so lonely.

Seem like mornings (NZ time) is the hard time to get WU's as one 1/2 of GPU is idle.
Wonder if FAH is prioritising WU's to higher ranked teams as some are getting huge numbers

Why are so many folding anonymously here is a change to help other teams and asve the world

Struggling to stay in the 13xx in Teams, both gtx1650 and I doing our best but we need help (hint hint)

Not helped with both my m60 cores sitting idle waiting for work

image.png

Server chugging away 24/7 for over a week now
Still struggling to keep the M60's fed with Work Units
Have installed MSI Afterburner and cranked the GPU boost speed up to 1294Mhz from 1177Mhz and Memory speed from 2500Mhz to 3500Mhz
GPU speed won't go up any more
With all both M60  GPU's working +CPU was showing around 900k points per day with increase in speed no showing just over 1,000,000 PPD
Can't see any increase in heat

Anyone wanting to help us keep our place which is slowly slipping as every man and his dog is folding, don't be shy
Here are our current standings

image.png

Looks like FAH are able to dish out more Work Units, as GPU's look to me busier and score going up per day
Also noticed new version of Software which lets you choose COVID-19 as project to fold for
I'm still folding for all, but did notice that CPU is helping out on COVID-19 project.

image.png

Hmmm, after a couple of weeks of on/off Work Unit assigns things were looking up
One day with 1.4Million points but mine and GTX1650's GPU's must have been fed all day
Now a couple of just over 1Million points day, no complaints really
Today I noticed one of the M60's got a 205,000 Base point WU, but with a version error
In log the WU was version 0.03 but version 0.05 was expected not amount of fiddling got rid of that error
So completely uninstalled incl data the FAH then reinstalled
Error gone, setup both GPU's as 'Advanced'

Wonder if installing the new COVID19 FAH client over previous version gave this issue
Anyway back to just over 1,000,000+ PPD 

Hy! My laptop is dead, and it was sent to service! Sorry for my bad english and have a nice day to all members!

1 hour ago, Gtx1650 said:

Hy! My laptop is dead, and it was sent to service! Sorry for my bad english and have a nice day to all members!

I hope it wasn't the folding that made it die
also hope you get the laptop back soon, know what its like to not have one and in all these lock downs I would be lost without mine
Still working on our Europe trip that will one day happen and Slovenia is on the list of countries to have a look at

Laptop didn't miss much as I assume the last day and a half it looks like very few WU's were sent out.
DO appreciate you choose LV2go as your preferred Team

I've put the M60 back to default clocks, the clock would stop/start constantly, non but Cores, one core is running at 70deg other around 60deg, the joys of having a passively cooled 2x2048 Core GPU
Does mean 150k less PPD but with WU a very fickle thing, should be easier on the GPU

Hope to see you back soon and thanks for helping out

I will come back as soon as i get my computer. I love you guys, you are amazing. Have a good day.

6 hours ago, Gtx1650 said:

I will come back as soon as i get my computer. I love you guys, you are amazing. Have a good day.

Its comments like these that help spur us along to keep going, all the best and stay safe

Looks like motherboard has come to a premature end, no life from server
Not been overly impressed with Dell R720's and their longevity, not the first motherboard I've replaced
Not sure what to do now, but am sure no folding for a while

22 hours ago, Gtx1650 said:

hy!

I'm Back finaly. Sorry for your dell!

Welcome back, fellow folder
I'm tempted to dust off a LGA1155 Mobo with I think an i5-3470t
Will have a play to see if I can get the M60 working on here

I'm back too

ASRock Z77 m-ATX mobo
i5-3470T (ES) 2C/4T
16GB RAM
Tesla M60 in PCIe x16 slot, running with dual 40mm fans taped to the back of it, running around 3000RPM (20% of max)

Hoping to extend the temp sensor on the Fan controller to put it in the back of the M60 to ramp up when folding
But currently M60 rear GPU is at 52degC which is about 20deg cooler than inside the server and relying on its fans to cool it.

The i5-3470 being dual core is running about 120k points per day short of Dual 6core/12Thread CPU's

• 1 month later...

Got the server back up running
New Mobo sorted that out, will be the last Mobo I get for it as this is the 3rd one

Back folding for while, need to get the team to 100Million points at least

Just passed 100 Million points, calling it a day for a while

image.png