LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Trying to find compatible vBIOS for Nvidia 980M

Refai

Hello,
I have MSI GT70 2pe dominator pro, it originally had nvidia 880m gpu but it overheated and I replaced it with NVIDIA 980M card
Following the upgrade I read that I have to update VBIOS to match the new card but I wasn't able to find a matching bios for this particular card,
all the vbios I found didn't match subsystem ID

Any help finding an appropriate Vbios is sincerely appreciated
Card info: Nvidia 980M 8GB
Device ID 10DE 13D7 - 1462 110B

Everybody who replaces his notebook GPU has this problem.
SUBSYS ID = Vendor ID + product identifier
"The Device Manufacturer is responsible for assigning this identifier to each individual product MODEL. Once an identifier is assigned to a product model, it must not be assigned to any other product model manufactured by the same company (that is, that uses the same Vendor ID)." Source: PNP ID and ACPI ID Registry

At first get driver 419.35, which accidentially supports your GPU w/o subsystem.

Otherwise you have to use modded INFs

On 6/13/2020 at 7:19 AM, StefanG3D said:

Everybody who replaces his notebook GPU has this problem.
SUBSYS ID = Vendor ID + product identifier
"The Device Manufacturer is responsible for assigning this identifier to each individual product MODEL. Once an identifier is assigned to a product model, it must not be assigned to any other product model manufactured by the same company (that is, that uses the same Vendor ID)." Source: PNP ID and ACPI ID Registry

At first get driver 419.35, which accidentially supports your GPU w/o subsystem.

Otherwise you have to use modded INFs

Thank you, this was highly informative

So the driver's issue is now clearer for me, what about the vbios issue? How do I determine which vbios fits the card? I fiddled with the card's vbios and changed it multiple times because I didn't know that vbios comes with the card

Any idea how I can find compatible vbios?  

Svet on MSI forums might help against a small donation - he has done the modified 51X and 71X bioses that I've seen + according EC files,too. https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?action=profile;u=29469