LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Lenovo M700 Tiny PC experiences

mobilenvidia

16 hours ago, cicistrici said:

Hi @mobilenvidia,

There's some tasty Lenovo M800's I could get for a decent price. It has the q150 chipset and I think there are not any newer lenovo pc's that are using the q250 chipset. Do you think it is possible to mod that thing for coffee lake?

M800 SFF or tower ?
It should work on those as BIOS looks same as M700/900
BUT use a EPROM flasher so you can try and go back if things go wrong
DON'T use SW flasher as there's a chance you'll need to buy an EPROM programmer incase that goes wrong

So what I did should work for you too, but I can't guarantee that

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• Brow16

• rycyve

• cicistrici

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mobilenvidia said:

M800 SFF or tower ?
It should work on those as BIOS looks same as M700/900
BUT use a EPROM flasher so you can try and go back if things go wrong
DON'T use SW flasher as there's a chance you'll need to buy an EPROM programmer incase that goes wrong

So what I did should work for you too, but I can't guarantee that

Thanks for your reply,

SFF, and thanks for the tip, I wanted to use a hardware flasher, but somehow they never seem to arrive from China (I ordered the 3rd one 2 weeks ago...)

I'm happy to buy one and experiment.

17 minutes ago, cicistrici said:

Thanks for your reply,

SFF, and thanks for the tip, I wanted to use a hardware flasher, but somehow they never seem to arrive from China (I ordered the 3rd one 2 weeks ago...)

I'm happy to buy one and experiment.

Things coming from China aren't too bad in NZ, no longer than it used to take
Grab latest BIOS, there is a newer one than what I worked on flash that to your machine the go through process

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:21 AM, mobilenvidia said:

Things coming from China aren't too bad in NZ, no longer than it used to take
Grab latest BIOS, there is a newer one than what I worked on flash that to your machine the go through process

Hey,

I had to wait a lot, but today the flasher arrived. Did everything and it's workin fine, much better than the G4400 😄

cpuid.png

It wasn't recognized the sata drive, that was the only problem I had, and crying for the unknown uuid, which I'd really like to solve, but I don't know how to yet. I opened the bios and changed that "os defaults etc" option to enable and it booted up fine, however since then I can not access bios at all. If I press the buttons on the keyboard to access bios it just won't boot, no video at all. 

Edited by cicistrici

First welcome to Coffee Lake
2nd Hmmm weird no BIOS entry option t boot, not essential but very annoying
You may need to play around to solve that, I never had that issue so can't help

3 minutes ago, elfrom1 said:

helloy you can give you bios for m700? im have started cpu QNCT 

Look for 'here'

im flash this bios m700_m710_cfl.bin and install cpu QNCT ddr4 4Gb 2133/8gb 2400 no started ? maybe you have other mod bios for qnct?

CPU work on gigabyte h110m

On 3/22/2021 at 7:31 PM, mobilenvidia said:

First welcome to Coffee Lake
2nd Hmmm weird no BIOS entry option t boot, not essential but very annoying
You may need to play around to solve that, I never had that issue so can't help

I made a second bios with coffee time with updated vbios and it is workin fine now, no need to enable os default settings in bios to boot. The only issue I have is that the sata device is not shown in bios but it is booting and I can access bios now which is great. 

Also it seems that the merged bios keeps the original mac address of your device. 

If you want to change the UUID and other things which are not kept in the edited bios, you just have to create a bootable DOS usb disk, then take a look at here

And you can easily edit what is unknown. 

Edited by cicistrici

8 hours ago, cicistrici said:

how to make 16mb bios dump and exchange raw gop vbt file? the computer is an m900 tiny.

22 hours ago, elfrom1 said:

im flash this bios m700_m710_cfl.bin and install cpu QNCT ddr4 4Gb 2133/8gb 2400 no started ? maybe you have other mod bios for qnct?

CPU work on gigabyte h110m

You have done the CPU pad mods that a 6core CFL CPU needs
My mods work for 4core CPU with no mods but you need to modify the CPU pads or 6core and beyond

Hi @mobilenvidia

I read that you don't use wifi, but I have a strange issue and you might have something helpful.
Originally my unit does not have wireless installed, so I got an m.2 ngff wireless card which is totally supported by my machine, even the same FRU as in the Lenovo documents for this PC.
But when it is installed, the pc just refuse to boot, fan spins at almost max speed, no video nothing.
Of course after it is removed it boots just fine.  

Edit: Ok, it was just a connection error, now it boots but the device is neither shown in the self test and nor in windows.

Edited by cicistrici

Does the card still work ?
When connecting wrongly you didn't short it ?

15 hours ago, mobilenvidia said:

Does the card still work ?
When connecting wrongly you didn't short it ?

I think the card is fine. It works well in a laptop. I found another card which also has an FRU. Now if I install the Intel card it boots up fine, but it can't be found anywhere. If I install the other card, which is a Realtek one the fan spins but no boot. 

I had the opportunity to test another card, it was also an Intel one, but got no boot with that too. 

Maybe Lenovo disabled the ability to add an m2 wireless on pc's shipped without one? I do not know yet, if I'll have some more time I think I'll swap to the old cpu and flash back the original BIOS and then check if it is working.

Edited by cicistrici

On 3/23/2021 at 10:22 PM, cicistrici said:

i modified om biose 8mb gop, gop vbt and vbios and ME has been officially updated ver.11.8.80.37.46. whether such a combination should start i7 7700 kbl. besides the mod can't flash sw tools. I share the result. https://easyupload.io/j42zhd

669.jpg

Edited by rycyve

On 3/24/2021 at 5:54 AM, mobilenvidia said:

You have done the CPU pad mods that a 6core CFL CPU needs
My mods work for 4core CPU with no mods but you need to modify the CPU pads or 6core and beyond

Hello.

I am also wanted to put a QNCT from our aliexpress friend at an M700. My M700 now has an i3-6100t.

According to your comments it seems that somehow it would be possible to make it work but I have no clear as. Can you help with information to be able to perform the procedure? It seems that according to your comments it is necessary to remove or modify pads of the QNCT?

Thanks for your support.

Edited by Jul

On 4/1/2021 at 9:27 PM, Jul said:

Hello.

I am also wanted to put a QNCT from our aliexpress friend at an M700. My M700 now has an i3-6100t.

According to your comments it seems that somehow it would be possible to make it work but I have no clear as. Can you help with information to be able to perform the procedure? It seems that according to your comments it is necessary to remove or modify pads of the QNCT?

Thanks for your support.

You need to connect some pads together and isolate some others
Coffeetime app has a picture of what to do there.
You'll need some things to do it, and make sure you do  good job as you can fry your Mobo and/or CPU

• 3 weeks later...

hi mobilenvidia!
would need help. i want my m900 tiny to run i7700.
for some reason it only works with mod m900 m910 clk.bin bios but if i take m900 backup.bin biose and change it to coffeetime 0.92 then no picture will come up. can't understand what's wrong? I'll upload images here.

66666.jpg

Edited by rycyve

You don't need to run Coffeetime if running a Kaby Lake CPU you won't gain anything
You just need to get to M910, via the BIOS merge
It should work as long as you have the Code in the BIOS, make sure its not a ES CPU also not a non T, but M910 should be your aim with the 7700(T)

thanks for the reply.cpu is genuie i7 7700.
i just want m900 biost because it would fit better in tiny.m910 bios makes this B750 having a video card menu which i don't want. that is already one of the reasons. i don't understand what is missing is vbios + gop, ME are the same and the microcode is on this cpu 906E9.i think the thing is still ME.910 already has kbl support though ver. is the same as 900 but somewhere there is something else in the oem bios. if i try a newer version of ME or take the 910 image from ME and write it in the 900 bios.

787.jpg

Edited by rycyve

Coffeetime only works with KabyLake capable Mobo's/BIOS's
Lenovo has crippled the M900 in the BIOS (hidden) to not accept Kabylake CPUs 
And so the step from M900 to M910 has to be made, you can't get round it

I found (I think been so long now) not to update the ME FW worked best

I too have some issues at boot where sometimes it goes through the trying to boot via LAN IPv4 and IPv6 makes boot rather slow but I have the M900 on 24/7 so only issue when Windows updates
But other than that its running great

Am impressed the 65w CPU works, I may keep an eye on higher watt CPUs for my baby
4k/60, HEVC encoded video is a struggle for poor old i3-9100T, which is about an equivalent of a 6500T/7500T but with newer features, so they would probably struggle too

568 / 5000

I think lenovo has divided the m900 biose ME into several, so the bios update in the form of 8mb does not guarantee an ME update, it's not just in this section of the biose. anyway, I'm still working on it. both DP ports are booting. everything works but i want to complete the fact that the m900 bios works in kbl. further, the memories need to be unlocked to run at full speed, i.e. 3200MHz not def. 2400MHz anyway, I'm working on it. thanks for replying and if you have any ideas on how to more easily open the biose submenus or activate them, any suggestions are welcome.
Edited by rycyve

I'm not in the fussed camp about ME, and yes Lenovo has the ME hidden in some BIOS updates where it probably as special routines to recognise it and update

The 7700 maxes out at 2400Mhz DDR4 ?
I need to add a 2nd 8GB stick to dual channel and help with my 4k/60 decoding

All I care about is it works with some quirks I can live with
But most interested in how you get on
The M900/700 spanning 4 generations of CPUs is pretty cool

yes the 7700 officially supports 2400MHz but this is the case with every cpu but you can always get more memory speed if there are corresponding memories. i bought lexar 2x8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz LD4AS008G-R3200GSST because they are affordable and very good with samsung chips which are oc favorites. here's an overview of analog chips https://www.pctestbench.com/lexar-ddr4-2666-sodimm-laptop-memory-review/3/ . i am using this kind of active dp to hdmi adapter because this manufacturer has paid the license fees and works very well and also the price is ok https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-video-products/dp2hd4k60s . the cooling is such a story that the tiny oem cooler is 35w rated and can't be over or converted to do anything with the software but the cool cpu can't. but no problem after a long search i still found a chiller from the chinese manufacturer which is 65w and it is already in my order.there are two places where you can order it. I bought a cheaper one because the delivery time is practically the same.https://www.chinahao.com/product/543645905415/

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/543645905415/

Nice find on those coolers, I may need one on a work M92 which gets very toasty not doing anything
Been toying taking out the i5 and putting in a Pentium as it just records data logs from a Sensor

You are asking a lot from 1lt machine, with OCing memory bus (if that will even work)
Be happy with 2400Mhz dual channel, 3200Mhz won't see anything but a place to keep you coffee hot 🙂

I bought this Active DP to HDMI converter
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/ADPJ5C3158/J5create-JDA158-DisplayPort-to-4K-60Hz-HDMI-Active
Works well and was cheap and in NZ no waiting weeks or months from China at the moment
My AV Amp is only 1080p, and running above converter to 4k60 TV and another to the amp for sound was problematic

As M900 got confused with dual displays and when amp going into standby it would scramble the TV displlay
I need to either get a 4k60 AV amp or preferably a nice stereo amp as I have a DAC coming from Aliexpress