LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How to mod and sign NVIDIA drivers with TPU NVCleanstall

StefanG3D

28 minutes ago, sneed said:

Oh, will also test that. BTW, what template did you choose? I was using the K2200M template as the difference between K2100M's and K2200M's sections in release 426.78's inf were marginal, but not sure if there's a more suitable section/template compared to it.

I have also used the K2200M template 🙂

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StefanG3D

• aledsav1

• TheRandomOne

• silverbullettt

After looking exactly at all reports from DELL users i think we can isolate the R470 issue to the Alienware M17

Pesky if you paid a grand alone for the GTX 880M chip

I update the 1st post to reflect that...

Alright, so I've modified Quadro 473.81 drivers (using K2200M template + Disable Telemetry, MSI mode tweaks), uninstalled old drivers via control panel & cleaned leftovers with DDU in safemode, resetted, and then installed these drivers and they work! No problems shown in device manager, GPU-Z shows the right info, and Optimus works (tested JC2, activity icon signalised usage, and benchmark reported the Quadro card being used).

Thx to all, and especially Stefan for creating this guide!

image.thumb.png.0557686771224ac73eedb076fcf7e18f.png

10 minutes ago, TheRandomOne said:

So does this work with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWI4OB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

& if so what drivers are compatible exactly with Windows 10 Pro ?

Your GPU is also from Kepler micro-architecture.

Try driver 473.81 like the previous speaker @sneed

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 11:03 AM, StefanG3D said:

Your GPU is also from Kepler micro-architecture.

Try driver 473.81 like the previous speaker @sneed

So what would be the best method for me in tweaking since there are options ?  I currently DO have a modified driver from a few years ago installed via modified inf.  Im assuming I would gotta use Display Driver Uninstaller & get rid of it first before anything else.  So the question is once I do that what would be the best method of those listed ?

I use only "unattended installation" and "add HW support".

Usually i install new drivers on top of old ones, so i can use the quick rollback option in device manager.

IIRC i used DDU last time in 2019 when changing between DCH and legacy installers.

Yea i am the same way i install over old. Havent used DDU in years honestly. Only when something is corrupted or bad maybe.

5 hours ago, StefanG3D said:

I use only "unattended installation" and "add HW support".

Usually i install new drivers on top of old ones, so i can use the quick rollback option in device manager.

IIRC i used DDU last time in 2019 when changing between DCH and legacy installers.

Okay so this is what I see.  My card is 770m currently.  I already have DDU installed.  How do I get any info I might need such as ID

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Edited by TheRandomOne

9 minutes ago, TheRandomOne said:

Okay so this is what I see.  My card is 770m currently.  I already have DDU installed.  How do I get any info I might need such as ID

Template: any GPU

ID: click on the hex number on the right to copy and paste

Name: copy and paste NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M

Edited by StefanG3D

3 minutes ago, StefanG3D said:

Template: any 970M

ID: click on the hex number on the right to copy and paste

Name: copy and paste NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M

I do not see any 970 the highest it goes is 780 Ti / Titan / Titan Black / Various Titan Z

Just now, TheRandomOne said:

I do not see any 970 the highest it goes is 780 Ti / Titan / Titan Black / Various Titan Z

I just corrected myself...

1 minute ago, StefanG3D said:

Okay lets see how this goes

7 minutes ago, StefanG3D said:

Okay as far as I can tell from the confirm a test thing it worked ?  But I will install a game & see if this game will now work that would not work before as a real test

8 minutes ago, TheRandomOne said:

Okay as far as I can tell from the confirm a test thing it worked ?  But I will install a game & see if this game will now work that would not work before as a real test

For quick testing i suggest the demos in GPU Caps Viewer

I edited opening post to make use of template clearer

select a GPU as template which is most similar to the target GPU
(actually you can use any GPU, but most likely you want extras like RTXBroadcast and RTXVoice on an RTX GPU and so on)

Is it impossible for this Laptop 2 run Direct X 12 games ?

Screenshot 2022-10-17 180853.jpg

Edited by TheRandomOne

4 hours ago, TheRandomOne said:

Should I try another template or is this a bust ?

No, you are done.

Whatever is missing, requires a modern GPU.

29 minutes ago, StefanG3D said:

No, you are done.

Whatever is missing, requires a modern GPU.

All right thanks but will sticking with any of these templates at least help the games that can run better or go back with the old modded inf ?  Or is it better & easier sticking with this program ?

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up for this site to post a success with this tool on Win11. Alienware M15x with i7-X920, A9 BIOS, Dell GTX 880M GPU. Mine worked on older Win 10 builds, but had been not loading the driver on newer builds, this was confirmed with checking Windows logging files. 425.31 was the last official NVidia driver for the GPU. GPU Device Id: 0x10DE 0x1198 Version: 80.04.E8.00.0C and this was the older VBIOS version of the Dell card. I forced the NVflash to the newer VBIOS, GPU Device Id: 0x10DE 0x1198 Version: 80.04.F5.00.07, as subsys ID was a mismatch and wouldn't load with a strait flash command. After the flash I could boot with the driver loaded just fine. I may try some newer drivers and see if those will work now too. This old machine is really just a tinker toy for me, and now I can play with it again on the newest Win11 22H2. thanks for making this driver tool. It speeds up the process of testing things like this. Now I need to get out the old M17x R2 and see if I can get dual GTX 880M's to work on it.🤩

If anyone with skills in VBIOS modding wants to look at the diff between the black screen, no desktop, on Kepler, this may have a clue in the two GTX 880M Dell VBIOS files.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=Dell&model=GTX+880M

8 hours ago, LaptopZen said:

I may try some newer drivers and see if those will work now too.

R450 should work fine.

R470 caused troubles for the 3 previously speaking M17 users.

Let us know the outcome. A GPU-Z screenshot would be nice.

btw NVIDIA refused to release Windows driver 473.91 for Kepler this month 💩

https://docs.nvidia.com/datacenter/tesla/tesla-release-notes-470-141-10/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

@StefanG3D

Completely new to driver modding

I have a rtx 3070m chip on a gpu board (chinese) there are some drivers supplied which involves installing 2 drivers to get this work on desktop pc which involves TESTSIGNING and DISABLING INTEGRITY, I have managed to then add the ID into the latest 527 notebook drivers which then install fine, after this I can then remove TESTSIGNING and ENABLE INTEGRITY, all works fine.

I have been trying to bypass having to install the 2 chinese drivers so that I can just use the 527 with the added ID, however this does not work, I have also been trying to bypass TEST/DISABLE etc I don't know if that is a must when installing modded drivers

As a complete novice I may well be attempting something that is not doable and therefore wasting my time. So just asking for some guidance if modding the 527 driver is something that might be possible inorder to avoid having to install the 2 chinese drivers first, and if modding a driver can be installed without TEST/DISABLE etc

And a long shot is there anything I can do to mod the cards bios to make install easier or even fool the pc/driver into thinking it is a legit card

318876384_5483999048375138_7449257615104346013_n.jpg.31c6f170102bb6d05f30862717ee3059.jpg

Edited by aledsav1

8 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

And a long shot is there anything I can do to mod the cards bios to make install easier or even fool the pc/driver into thinking it is a legit card

No dice, NVIDIA is hardening the "NVIDIA Falcon security" with every new micro-architecture.

8 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

have been trying to bypass having to install the 2 chinese drivers so that I can just use the 527 with the added ID, however this does not work

What particularly doesn't work? There is no magic sauce in these chinese drivers.

Just follow the instructions in the first post step-by-step, NVCleanstall does the modding and signing for you.

2 hours ago, StefanG3D said:

No dice, NVIDIA is hardening the "NVIDIA Falcon security" with every new micro-architecture.

What particularly doesn't work? There is no magic sauce in these chinese drivers.

Just follow the instructions in the first post step-by-step, NVCleanstall does the modding and signing for you.

Hey thanks

Ok thought that the bios route was a complete no go.

I did use NVC to add the ID (before reading this guide I think, done so much and its all new have got a little lost/confused) but when I installed the driver it the res did not change and got error 43, though it said driver installed successfully...I obviously missed something so will go through the guide carefully.

But just to clarify, once I have completed the NVC part I still need to do the TESTSIGNING and INTEGRITY DISABLE, or can I run driver with out those or do I need to do both?

ahh and also I can never find the nv_disp.inf

I only have nv_dispig?

Edited by aledsav1

• StefanG3D featured this topic