LaptopVideo2Go Forums

video mem problem

Guest dlzinc

Guest dlzinc

DirectX seemingly randomly detects my Geforce 4 420 Go 32MB as having 16MB of memory. Sometimes I reboot and it shows 16MB sometimes it shows 32MB. As you can imagine, performance in DX based games is severely affected. OpenGL based games don't seem to be affected.

I use dxdiag and 3dmark 2001 se to "see" how much video ram dx thinks I have.

Rivatuner and the driver display panel both show 32MB all the time.

Solution?

dlzinc,

Are you using DX9b ? 9.0 or 9a are bug riddled and shouldn't be used.

I can see with only 16MB you would have a severe slow down problem exspecially in any modern game.

Pieter.

dlzinc, it sounds like one of the memory chips on your card is either going bad or is coming loose. If you can get to it, try making sure all the mem chips are firmly seated. If they are, and if the video card iteself is securely installed, it may need to be replaced.

Arn't memory chips these days soldered to the board ?

If not you might just be able to press down, if they are soldered you might have to put up with the 16MB (32MB randomly).

Or get it fixed (very expensive unless still under warrenty)

Make sure DX9b is installed first (it doesn't cost anything)

Pieter.

When I changed the FX Go5200 in my Dell I didn't see any evidence of soldering. The memory chips appeared to be pressed in.

I am using DX 9.0b

The game it's most noticible in is Spellforce

Apparently it "requires" a 32MB but it ran fine (albeit EXTREMELY laggy) when dxdiag detected 16MB. 3dmark 2001se also dies on the 2nd test with insufficient video memory.

Quake3 didn't seem to be affected ... but maybe it doesn't need all 32MB of texture... (in any case, what DX detects didn't seem to affect the timedemo). Does anyone have a freely available OpenGL bench I could perhaps test?

For the time being, I'm using the 53.03 modded inf, it seems to work fine all the time with that.

As for hardware, I haven't ever disassembled my laptop to the extent that I could see the vpu/vram so... I would ASSUME that there should be nothing wrong with them... Though if it DOES seem like hardware, I've got about 3 years left on it :)