LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver needed for Nvidia GeForce GT8600M 512MB for Sony VAIO laptop

SonyVaioVGNAR770U

Hello Fellows, 

Apologize if I am posting my question/ assistance in the wrong section, new here......I am trying to find a driver--Nvidia GeForce GT8600M-512MB, for my Sony VAIO VGN-AR770U laptop. 

The driver from Nvidia's website (342.01 somehow just couldn't make it work. Device Manager shows standard VGA.

If anyone can provide me a direct link, truly appreciated. Million times "Thank You". 

Does the installation itself fail or does the driver misbehave after successful installation?

@StefanG3D : Thank you for your reply. And apologize for my late response to yours....

Since the clean installation of Windows 10 (64 bit) the device manager just shows standard VGA. The sony laptop was originally loaded with Vista Ultimate 32 bit. VAIO no longer under Sony and thus either entities were willing to provide the original driver. 

Took me a long time to find this website and hoping you guys still have the modified driver. 

Thank you,

1) Check our FAQ section how to disable driver signatures

2) Download driver from here:

https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/33375-geforce-34201-windows-vista7810-last-windows-driver-for-tesla-micro-architecture/

3) Unpack driver with 7zip

4) inject your GPU into nvszci.inf

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]
%NVIDIA_DEV.0407% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407
%NVIDIA_DEV.0425% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425

%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.9005.104D% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]

%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.9005.104D% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2]

%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.9005.104D% = Section003, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3]

%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.9005.104D% = Section004, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D

[Strings]
DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"
NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_A = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_DEV.0407 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT"
NVIDIA_DEV.0425 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS"

NVIDIA_DEV.0426.9005.104D = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT"

5) run setup.exe, if that fails check FAQs again for "have disk method"

@StefanG3D:

Once again thank you so very much for your reply, truly appreciated. 

I am not really technical, so it is going to take me some time to digest all the instructions & FAQ,....yet right here allow me to ask two questions:

--Instruction#4

" inject your GPU into nvszci.inf",.....How do I go by "injecting"? Do you mean I "copy & paste" the above to the nvszi.inf ? Is that one looks like a read-me document?

--from the link (for driver)

Difference between Quadro_certified with-whgl.exe & the regular one ( which one should I go for? ) 

It's going to take me a few days & perhaps the weekend as my daily life is a little crazy here on my side,...hope you understand,...

Million Thanks 

Edited by SonyVaioVGNAR770U

5 hours ago, SonyVaioVGNAR770U said:

Do you mean I "copy & paste" the above to the nvszi.inf ? Is that one looks like a read-me document?

Yes, that's what i meant.

An INF (installer file) is simply a text document.

5 hours ago, SonyVaioVGNAR770U said:

Difference between Quadro_certified with-whgl.exe & the regular one ( which one should I go for? ) 

The regular one: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/342.01/342.01-notebook-win10-64bit-international.exe

@StefanG3D :

Thank you for your confirmation in such a speedy manner,...again, "Million times" Thank you !!

Will get back to you later,

Best, 

@StefanG3D:

Not successful at the end. See attached links for photos. (let's see if it shows, here said cannot be linked?)

I tried 2 times with 2 sets of cmd (for signature driver disable) , the set with 3 commands actually rebooted my computer (& pressed F7 function key to select "disable signature driver) and showed "test mode" on the lower right hand corner screen--2nd time.-Completed.

I was able to find the section of nvszci.inf (somewhat in the middle) of "List Device" file, and copied/ pasted. -Completed.

Not sure what exactly I did wrong, but every steps were all good until the final one--run setup.exe, see photo. 

I looked into the section of "Have disc method", a little confused, & those were made for Vista, 7 and Windows 8. Not sure if it is applicable for Windows 10 ??

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195866826@N05/bk1m1k

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195866826@N05/M4J6js

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195866826@N05/iz9X8G

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195866826@N05/9j9y36

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195866826@N05/Bt0q2Y

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195866826@N05/9825x6

Failing setup.exe happened to me also from time to time.

The have disk method is always the same since Windows 95.

Depending on Windows settings nvszci.inf appears with or without .INF suffix in device manager.

Also you will have to confirm a warning message.

@StefanG3D:

Glad to hear that "Failing setup.exe happened to you also from time to time"....I mean, glad to know I am NOT alone,...hahahaha...

I just read thru the "have dics" method second time, still confused, can you simplify the steps for me? ..., please !

How do I confirm a warning message? 

I will keep the "bcdedit--test signing ON " for the time being,...

Million times "Thank You", 

@StefanG3D:

Good evening from Los Angeles, I went ahead and tried, see 2 photos linked.

I got lost at "Select extracted driver folder" to "Select inf" , thus unable to continue.

I take it, "Select extracted driver folder" is the one I downloaded from yours and extracted/ unzipped- (see photo), however, interesting enough, the "document file" called "List Device" -that has all the .inf writing, (the one I pasted to) DOES NOT show up when I tried to "Select inf".

I copied and pasted that List Device document with .inf writing to folders but then still it would NOT let me going forward.

I believe all steps prior, were done correctly, as the Device Manager now shows Nvidia GT 8600M.  

It is so close,...yet I am confused what did I miss / did wrong??

Have Disk Dev Mgr

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195866826@N05/bAX8ii

@StefanG3D:

Or did I copy & pasted to incorrect one? (see photo)....the one I pasted to, was List Device, a read me document file. And the one with gear/wheel logo, looks like is is a dll file, not a .inf,..........Please confirm,...Thank you...

nvszci inf

ListDevice.txt is only a kinda log file.

Indeed you have to edit the file with the cog wheel symbol, the top will look like this:

; NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Display INF file
; Copyright (c) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

[Version]
Signature   = "$Windows NT$"
Provider    = %NVIDIA%
ClassGUID   = {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class       = Display
DriverVer   = 11/14/2016, 21.21.13.4201
CatalogFile = NV_DISP.CAT
[nv_CplInstaller]
Default_addreg = nv_CplInstaller_addreg
Default_copyfiles = nv_CplInstaller_copyfiles

If you opened a DLL file in a text editor, you would read MZ followed by gibberish.

Here is a guide with pictures for Intel GPUs, but you should get the idea: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

@StefanG3D:

Yes, the steps shown on the windowscentral are very much what I went thru (Have Disc Method), up to step#9. I clicked "Have disk" and pops up appeared which I included in the 1 of 2 photo (in my earlier reply)-- the options shown on my screen are different on step#10 (, thus, I was unable to complete further. (seems to me I pasted to the incorrect location, that would explains it)

I did open that DLL file (the one with the wheel/ gear) and inside there are many many paragraphs, I don't remember seeing 1 paragraph with nvszci.inf description.

Allow me to confirm with you:

-I should copy & paste to DLL file?

- "I would read MZ followed by gibberish" ?? Do you mean there is a paragraph MZ followed by gibberish?

- Should I copy & paste at the top or end of all paragraph inside the DLL file? Or there is a nvszci.inf paragraph inside???  

-after that, try to install, right ?!!

Million times "Thank you",

9 minutes ago, SonyVaioVGNAR770U said:

I did open that DLL file (the one with the wheel/ gear)

It is not a DLL, it is an INF (installer file)

To avoid confusion, disable hiding known file extensions in folder options of Windows explorer.

Use the search function in your text editor to find the lines around the green colored texts mentioned above.

@StefanG3D:

See attached photo, I opened it (the one with the wheel/ gear) Sorry I thought that's a DLL-my mistake!.... and saw that inside ...

Most of the paragraph has the following:

Sections..

AddReg...

CopyFiles

DelFiles,...

Again,...there was no section of nvszci, ...Where should I paste? at the end ok? ...Million Times "Thank You"...

Screenshot 2022-06-22 055327

Search the line:

Below that paste:

and so on...

@StefanG3D:

Found it,...so I will paste it like:

%NVIDIA_A% = NVIDIA_SetA_Devices,NTamd64.6.0,NTamd64.6.1,NTamd64.6.2,NTamd64.6.3

(Paste it here....Right??)
%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.9005.104D% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D 
%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.9018.104D% = Section009, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9018104D 
%NVIDIA_DEV.0A29.9067.104D% = Section045, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_9067104D 
%NVIDIA_DEV.0A2A.905E.104D% = Section049, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2A&SUBSYS_905E104D 

Screenshot 2022-06-22 061118

@StefanG3D:

I am totally confused,....tried multiple times still have problem(s).

What happened:

I was finally able to locate that .inf (actually was is Display folder within, and as stated, pasted successfully.

1st round installation, just mouse click the .exe , then selected Custom, but NOT Fresh Installation, ...no-go!

2nd round installation, same as above, but selected Express installation, ...no go!

3rd round, Have-Disc,....Computer then turn dark, much like in DOS or cmd screen, ...only showed my mouse "arrow" with clock running circle, took a long time more than 1 hour, but still hang,...had to turn of computer. A screen pops up said Windows had removed a driver file. Device Manager no longer showed Nvidia GT 8600M, showed "Display/ other device" instead.

4th round, deleted the extracted folder, started all over....using unzip to extract, copy & paste to nvszci.inf within the Display folder, proceed with "Have Disc" method, all steps completed this time (beyond step#9--above), saw the warning and went thru, but at last saw another pop-up says " Windows encounter a problem while installing a driver for your device, error code# 43....

What am I missing ? ....The funny is, after the 4th round, the Device Manager pops back Nvidia 8600GT as display....not "Display/other device...Also, from Control Panel/ Programs & Features, I can see the Nvidia 342.01 is right there listed, meaning the driver is already installed? But stopped by Windows?? Or what????

Any suggestions, ideas.....Million times "Thank You"

Screenshot 2022-06-22 074356 Select Custom Not Clean Install system cannot find the file specified Screenshot 2022-06-22 123127 Screenshot 2022-06-22 130356

Code 43 means the driver has been installed, but does not work properly.

Review this guide:

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-error-nvidia-code-43-windows-has-stopped-this-device-because-it-has-reported-problems/

I have no further tips for you.

Hello StefanG3D,

Greeting from Los Angeles,...

Yeah, I agree with you, I felt that the driver was installed but somehow Windows just couldn't acknowledge that,...If it wasn't, no way would the device manager and programs/features folder from control panel indicate that the Nvidia.

I will read thru the website linked you provided. 

2 questions:

-Do you have a pay-pal account (email address that linked to paypal)? I would like to use pay-pal to buy you a cup of coffee as a token of appreciation, not only you took the time to help me, but the idea that you put together all these to help people,...should be appreciated.

You are the ONLY one I came across that could take me this far, not even the tech support at Nvidia, they told me that Sony VAIO had some special arrangement on drivers, besides, it has been a while all support for older pieces, have ceased. This is the reason why this laptop is no longer my daily use ones, yet remain as my fav, so when I saw someone made a posting at another place, linking to this website here, I jumped in.

-Have you encounter any issues after the driver installation such as updating at Nvidia's website? 

Once again, Million Times THANK YOU, you have been a great help !

Best regards, 

Dickson,