LaptopVideo2Go Forums

for choosing notebook memory, Fastest and Bestest! :)

®®®

My Chipset (845MP) supports:

SODIMM Capacity: 512 MB

SODIMM Organisation: 64M x 64

Density: 512 Mbit

DDR Organization: 64M x 8

# of Components: 8

Package Type: 66 lead TSOP

# of physical banks: 1

# of Banks in DDR: 4

# Adress Bits (row/col): 13/11

The Intel 845MP Chipset memory controller directly supports one channel of PC1600 or PC2100 SO-DIMM DDR memory. The Intel 845MP Chipset memory

interface supports DDR devices with densities of 64-Mb, 128-Mb, 256-Mb, and 512-Mb technology.

The maximum memory support is two, double-sided SO-DIMMs (four rows populated). The Intel 845MP Chipset memory interface also supports variable page sizes of 2 KB, 4 KB, 8 KB, and 16 KB. Page size is individually selected for every row and a maximum of 16 pages may be opened simultaneously.

DDR Interface Overview

The Intel 845MP Chipset MCH-M supports DDR at 200 and 266 MHz and includes support for:

? Up to 1 GB of PC2100 DDR

? PC2100, unbuffered, 200-pin DDR SO-DIMMs

? Maximum of 2 SO-DIMMs, Single-sided and/or Double-sided b

? Configurable optional ECC

Intel 845MP main memory controller targets CAS latencies of 2 and 2.5 for DDR. Intel 845MP provides refresh functionality with a programmable rate (normal DDR rate is 1 refresh/15.6 us).

I would like to have max. performance, but i'm not quite sure which memory module is the right one. CAS 2 is supported by chipset. As far as i know is PC2700 (DDR333) backward compatible to PC2100 (DDR266) like in the days of PC133=compatible with PC100 and PC66.

Kingston has this interesting site where they state that both DDR266 and DDR333 work with my system: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurat...&submit1=Search

There is GeIL with the following modules:

http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=34

http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=32

Are they any more manufacturers of memory modules SODIMM you know of, preferly in Europe to save shipping cost?

Any suggestions what to buy or look for? Thanks

Guest Scott

I recently bought the following memory for my Dell Inspiron 8600 which, according to AIDA32, uses an i855PM chipset. www.kingmax.com/product/pro_protMSAC22D-38KB3.htm

I bought them for US $94 each from www.newegg.com which, unfortunately, does not ship internationally. I am, however, pleased with the memory module quality and its price seems to be better than many of the "boutique" brands of quality modules (at the time of purchase, crucial.com was selling comparable modules for about $120).

-Scott-

Will have a look at their webiste. thanx

I totally forgot about SAMSUNG... must also check out their website

Guest Korpowski

Hello

I have only a Dell I8200 wich use also an Intel 845MP. What I already some times readed is, that it support up to 2GB of ram! But I can't give you any garatie for it...

Well, I would say Crucial-RAM should be a good choice, they have special modules for "each" system witch will work probably. I use only crucial memory, because they are fast, and of good quality.

Robert

PS. they are also cheap (micron-ram, direct reseller)

®®® - I've found that my Samsung memory performed slightly better than others I've tried (Kingston, Crucial/Micron & Siemens/Infineon), as tested with memtest86.

Regards,

Chip

I know, i also like samsung mem. back in the days, i strictly bought and used samsung mem for Desktops Sytems. Currently i have 2x256 Samsunf modules, but they need to be replaced NOW. Thanks again for writing down your experiences here :) (Korpowski, unfortunetaly i can't afford buying a 2x1GIG mem, just for testing purposes. Muesst ick erstmal im Lotto gewinnen, oder wie sind da zur Zeit die Preise?)

®®®, I may have extra 512MB modules of Samsung PC2100 kicking around, e-mail me at ofelas@rogers.com if you like.

You've got mail :)

Guest Guest

Hi there,

I would absolutely recommend Infineon memory.

It's best quality overall, very high performance and stable like a rock.

Personally, I had stability issues with Kingston and Micron/Crucial in the past and will buy only Infineon from now on.

An alternative may be Corsair...but it's even more expensive ;-)

ulysse

The two 1GB sticks of 333MHz PC2700 on my Precision M60 laptop are made by Elpida...first time I've used Elpida, but the modules have full coverage heat spreaders....seem to be quality RAM from what I've found on Google...

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I want to get an idea as to which RAM would be the FASTEST and BEST notebook memory there is to buy? I want to give me i8200 1gb stick, so I will have 1.5gb, but before I do this, I need to know which is the fastest?

I looked at corsair, but they have a voltage of 2.6.

I looked at ocz, and theirs is a 2.5 voltage.

I also looked at crucial memory and it wasn't mentioned.

Please let me know.

I want to make a purchase asap! :)

Thank you in advance!

John, I've always used Crucial with great success. I've never heard anything but good reports about them. (I've just upgraded my Inspiron 5150 to 1GB of Crucial RAM and it's doing great so far!)

It seems we are both on the same mission, i'm looking forever here and there and not very ambitious :) to upgrade CPU and RAM to the best possible ratio price and performance related.

CPU:

2,6Ghz/SL6WZ is max, but the availability at EBAY is very rare and the price is very high :) (250,-)

RAM:

is another story and i'm about to get rid of the idea of the fastest and bestest, as it's timewise a pain to research the detailed timings for notebook ram.

My last buying decision was about G.E.I.L Golden bla RAM, i will post a link later to the the modules and their specs. The price and timings were ok.

max. is 1GB, so i need 2x512.

:)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information.

About the CPU: Intel decided late into the p4-m stage to produce two more cpu's before finishing off the line and starting the centrino's

About the RAM:

Thank you, again, to both of you. I would be really interested in seeing that link Rene :P

:)

The M50 uses the same RAM as the I8200 right?

The 1 GB modules for that on crucial's mem selector should work just fine.

here's are the links for GEIL S0Dimm

PC2700 512 MB: http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=32

200pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered, SO-DIMM DDR memory modules.

GeIL 6ns 32x8 Density WLCSP DDR Chip.

6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded Golden Dragon PCB with Gold 30u" Plating.

Optimized SPD Guarantee 100% Compatiblity.

Lifetime Warranty .

CAS 2.5 7-4-4 @ DDR333 PC2700

2.55V-2.65V

PC2100 512 MB: http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=34

200pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered, SO-DIMM DDR memory modules.

GeIL 6ns 32x8 Density WLCSP DDR Chip.

6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded Golden Dragon PCB with Gold 30u" Plating.

Optimized SPD Guarantee 100% Compatiblity.

Lifetime Warranty .

CAS 2.5 6-3-3 @ DDR266 PC2100

2.55V-2.65V

Bill,

Yeah the M50 uses the same as the i8200. They are the same board.

Rene,

Wow! is all I can say. Do they offer any 1GB sticks?

Thank you!

i don't think so, but i haven't looked for that as i need 2x512 (max. 1GB).

Btw here's the link to verify if it's a true P4-M (ebay sellers often advertise their CPUs wrong) to verify:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/l...asp?ProcFam=826

John, did you compare the timings and specs for the modules you are interested in? Can you provide a short overview of what OCZ, Corsair, G.E.I.L and Kingston offers?

It just came to my mind that i was also interested in SAMSUNG memory, as i always had good experience with it in the past (@desktops): high quality (SPD always included), low price, timings were great also (though not spectacular as some of the new OCs memory modules).

Edited by ®®®

When I get a chance I will post them. However, I got the memory timings from looking at www.newegg.com

For now, gotta run to class! :)

searching for CL2 (cas 2) modules @NewEgg brought up this high performance RAM from Patriot:

PC2700

Patriot Extreme Performance PC-2700 memory is designed to operate at extreme low latency timings at 333MHz on both Intel and AMD based motherboards.

SPD programmed at an super low latency of:

2-2-2-5 (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS), our EP PC-2700 memory is designed for simple plug and play operation. It is as simple as install and go.

In addition, every one of our Extreme Performance memory goes through rigorous compatibility testing and strict quality control to ensure operations and performance at their rated speeds and timings. Accompanied with our high quality premium heat spreaders and backed by our life time warranty, Patriot Extreme Performance memory is right memory for the overclocking enthusiast in you.

Features

PC-2700 operating at 333MHz

Low Timings of 2-2-2-5

Qualified on both Intel and AMD based systems

Plug and Go operation :P

Premium Heat Spreaders

Life Time Warranty

Non-ECC/Non-Reg

PEP5122700LL Extreme Performance DDR 512MB PC2700 333MHz (2-2-2-5) Non-ECC Unbuffered 184-Pin Dimm

PEP2562700LL Extreme Performance DDR 256MB PC2700 333MHz (2-2-2-5) Non-ECC Unbuffered 184-Pin Dimm

64$ for 512, 1GB not available

http://www.patriotmem.com/products/groupde...=PC2700&catid=1

Interesting :) I think i would like to know if they run on my machine, maybe Patriot will send us a sample? :)

Here's a Corsair timing for comparison:

Corsair SO-DIMM ValueSelect 1024MB PC2700 DDR CL2.5-3-3-7-2T (PC333) (VS1GSDS333)

and here's what i had in my Bookmarks (alongside with the GEIL modules i posted above):

PC2700 CAS 2,5

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurat...R333X64SC25/512

PC2100 CAS 2,5

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurat...R266X64SC25/512

General PC2700 S0DIMM listing

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurat...MM&SUBMIT1=Find

General PC2100 S0DIMM listing

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurat...MM&SUBMIT1=Find

This Patrio ram looks awesome. I sure love to plug and go with it... (haha yeah it's funny, I'm sure other companies haven't "caught on" to that technology... lol) However, it's a 184 pin module, not a 200 pin one.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong area?

:) i have overseen that.

A pity that they don't offer S0Dimms. It seems there is no great timings 200pin RAM modules out there :) Sorry for the confusion :P