LaptopVideo2Go Forums

for choosing notebook memory, Fastest and Bestest! :)

®®®

I rechecked @NewEgg and guess what it seems that there exists such a module:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820220123

Model #: PEP5122700SLL (Patriot Extreme Performance 512MB 2700 S0Dimm LL(?)

Item #: N82E16820220123

Btw the Signature Line of Patriot Mem offers S0Dimm. They are listed here (at the bottom):

http://www.patriotmem.com/products/groupde...=PC2700&catid=1

Are you guys able to adjust memory timings in your BIOS settings? If not, the advanced timing capabilities of the SODIMMs won't do you much good.

No old-fashioned BIOS access here. Just kind of a Toshiba ControlPanel for some basic BIOS settings in Windows.

A thought:

If the SPD of the Memory modules is programmed to lets say 2-2-2 and BIOS reads out these value from SPD and applies them, we would be all set :) . I read somewhere and it sounds reasonable that this is the standard BIOS mem timing procedure (and it is for Desktop Mainboards/BIOS). If this also applies to Laptop BIOS i cannot verify.

Maybe the Memory Manufacturers can tell more :)

Well, just letting you all know that I have bit the bullet and placed an order for the Precision Workstation M50 1GB stick from Crucial.com. It had free shipping so that was a plus. The total (after tax) came to $144.02

I'll let you know how my system reacts to it. :)

Thank you to Rene, Larry, and Bill :)

Hey i found another high speed module today. It's a bit hard to find on the official corsair page. It's listed under the XMS series (Desktop OC series) [HERE]. You need to scroll down a bit as it's not linked in the top :)

XMS SO-DIMMs

The only performance memory in a 200-pin SO-DIMM configuration. 

XMS3200

Part Number Speed Size Latency Package Heat Spreader

CMXSD512-3200LL XMS3200 512MB 2.5-3-3-6 200 DIMM n/a

CMXSD256A-3200LL XMS3200 256MB 2.5-3-3-6 200 DIMM n/a

XMS2700

Part Number Speed Size Latency Package Heat Spreader

CMXSD512-2700LL XMS2700 512MB 2-3-2-6 200 DIMM Black

CMXSD256A-2700LL XMS2700 256MB 2-3-2-6 200 DIMM n/a

Too bad they don't offer 1GB modules.

post-5-11210140070_thumb.gif

That crucial module was probably the best choice, I have been thinking of getting 2x512 MB modules for my laptop from crucial, as each is now about $54 with free shipping, much cheaper than what Dell used to charge, which was over $200.

The crucial 512MB sticks used to be over $100 a few months ago, noticed they droped a few weeks back and I am seriously thinking about getting them.....

Tell us how that stick goes Kamika007z. :)

Also, my laptop currently has 2x256MB sticks, so where/how do you guys think I should sell those? (if I upgrade that is)

Rene:

Awesome find, although, like you said, too bad they don't offer a 1gb stick.

Bill:

I was thinking the same about Crucial, you can't go wrong really. Also, the fact that they lowered their prices tremendously, (the 1gb stick was over 200, if not 300, I don't remember exactly) I had decided to buy one ASAP. It was either get a new PSP game, which there isn't anything new, or get ram (and which is more than double the price of a PSP game) :)

About selling the sticks, you can try here in our selling/trading area or eBay

I'll let you all know how it performs

Thanks again

Well, I got in the 1gb stick 1 day ealier than UPS said they'd ship it in. I installed it and everything seemed to be tunning (application switching, and etc) the same speed as before, but I did notice a tad bit of difference.

In Counter-Strike Source, I was able to finally get it to run at dx8 pretty well. Whereas before it wouldn't run too well at all, so I was forced to use dx7, I can now run it at dx8.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE: I just noticed that I can also burn DVD's without heavily taxing the system.

Edited by Kamika007z

• 2 weeks later...

While it might be kinda late for this, crucial has 200 PIN PC2700 modules for the I5160, if they worked they might be fast, they do have a 1 GB module for it too, I am not sure if it is compatible, and don't have time to check, just thought I would mention, I saw it on accident BTW, I was looking at that for another user when I realized it was also a 200 pin stick.

• 9 months later...

In case you have wondered (like me) what a certain S behind PC2100 could mean here's the solution:

Labeling an Unbuffered PC2100 DDR SDRAM SO-DIMM

The following label should be applied to all PC2100-compatible DDR SO-DIMMs, to fully describe the key attributes of the module. The label can be in the form of a stick-on label, a silk screen on the assembly, or can be marked using an alternate customer-readable format. A minimum font size of 8 points should be used, and the number can be printed in one or more rows on the label.

[box]Format : PC2100m-aabc-d-ef[/box]

Where :

m: Module Type; S = Unbuffered DDR SO-DIMM (no registers or PLLs on module)

aa: DDR SDRAM CAS Latency

20 = CAS Latency 2.0

25 = CAS Latency 2.5

b: DDR SDRAM minimum t RCD specification (in clocks)

c: DDR SDRAM minimum t RP specification (in clocks)

d: JEDEC SPD Revision used on this DDR SO-DIMM

0 = JEDEC SPD revision 0

e: Gerber file used for this design

(if applicable) A = Reference design for raw card 'A' is used for this assembly

B = Reference design for raw card 'B' is used for this assembly

C = Reference design for raw card 'C' is used for this assembly

Z = None of the 'Reference" designs were used for this assembly

f: Revision number of the reference design used

1 = 1st revision

2 = 2nd revision

Blank = Not applicable (used with 'Z' above)

Example:

PC2100S-2033-2-B2 is a PC2100 Unbuffered DDR SO-DIMM with

CAS Latency = 2.0, t RCD = 3, t RP = 3, using JEDEC SPD revision 2 and produced based on the raw card 'B' Gerber, 2nd release

This info was taken from a SAMSUNG DDR specification site.

• 1 year later...

Looking to get BEST RAM for my M1710

I need 2GB stick x 2

4 GB total ... any advice .... money NOT a problem I need SPEED and QUALITY

I found this: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.as...A5D19F7A5CA7304

Any advice ?

Edited by XAKEP

• 1 year later...

I always buy Crucial memory. Even though it may not be quite as fast as other brands, it is a great deal and the memory is high-quality.