LaptopVideo2Go Forums

inspiron 8500 ti 4200 poor gaming performance

Guest tommy verceti

Guest tommy verceti

hello, i have an inspiron 8500 with a ti 4200 go in it. i just bought it off of a friend of mine after he just had it refurbished by dell. i was reading on the dell forums these things rock for gaming and score anywhere from 8500 to 10500 points in 3d mark 2001. so when i got it, i anxiously loaded the benchmark with disapointing results (7000). so i reloaded windows, tried a modified driver at the advice of a guy on the dell forum, same results. the best score i got was when i clocked it to 210 core and 510 memory. (7800). what gives? anyone have one of these with the a05 bios having these same results? ive tried reinstalling windows and the drivers in different orders 3 times. this thing can't even play need for speed underground @ 1024x768! my inspiron 8200 hosed this thing in gaming. i thought this card was faster then the radeon 9000. any help would be great. thanks.

Tommy,

Yes you should be getting at least 9000+ with your GPU in 3Dmark 2k1.

The fastest (apparently) for 4200go is 44.03, get this, install with modded INF.

Now in the Control Panel set the performance to max in the main panel and also the Direct3D panel.

in More Direct3D set the refresh sync to always off.

Turn off AntiAliasing and Anisotropic filtering.

Make sure your in Single Display mode and that Powermizer is on Perfromance.

Also set the power level to Always on or max Performance in the power settings feature in Control Panel.

You should now have the fastest settings enabled.

Now test, and report back with good news (hopefully)

Pieter.

Guest tommy verceti

ive tried all that, iam starting to think it is something with the bios. i would like to try a different one but they state that i am replacing it with an older file and setup will stop.iam really pulling my hair out by this! those scores i had posted were all at the highest performance setting. any other solutions?maximum pc actually had an artical about one of these machines when they did the review of the voodoo laptop compared to the inspiron 8500 a couple of months back ,stating that they had updated the bios and all the drivers from the dell site and there benchmark scores fell dramatically as well.something like 9400 to 7600. anyone now how i can change it back to the previous bios?

How much RAM on your 4200 Go? That can make a big difference.

Guest tommy verceti

its a 64 mb card. i don't really think that the amount of ram a video card has makes much of a diference in speed. it is the clock speed of the ram that affects the speed

Yes and no. Certainly video RAM speed controls how fast it can be written to and read from, but the amount of RAM controls how much processing can be done quickly on the card itself, and how often it has to swap information out to the main computer memory over the AGP bus. Since every swap takes time, the more memory on the card itself, the better (up to a point).

If you run games at a low enough resolution and color depth to keep everything on the card, extra memory won't help at all. But if, as most gamers do, you try to max out all settings, especially at the resolutions many laptops now achieve, you'll definitely swap out to main memory if you're short on video RAM. You can see the results on any table of benchmarks that compares identical cards with different amounts of RAM.

Regardless, your 64MB should be enough for the scores you're trying to achieve, so your problem lies elsewhere.

Tommy,

What drivers have you tried ?

4x.xx are going to give better results for 3DMark 2k1 than 5x.xx.

tabs.jpg

Can you post here the settings you have in:

nView Display Mode

Performance and Quality

Direct 3D Settings

Powermizer

and Clock Frequencies.

This will give us an idea of what is going on.

Pieter.

Guest tommy verceti

hello all! i am using the modded 43.03 drivers. i have nview set at single monitor, performance and quality settings at high performance, d3d at best performance,power settings for ac and power at highest performance,and clock for the core is 210 mem 510. my scores at this are about 7400. i read an article in maximum pc about 3 months back were they had done a comparison of the inspiron 8500 versus the new voodoo notebook and it says when they updated the bios and drivers the score on that machine dropped dramatically fro like 9400 to 7500. it must be a bios problem but i can only go back to the a04 bios and thats it. all the other bios wont let me downgrade. it seems to me like the card only runs at agp 1x as i have messed around with the agp settings and it doesnt lower the scores. game 1 sits at around 120 fps. but game 2, the same as game 1 but high detail, drops to around 25 fps. its like the card isnt getting the bandwidth it needs. thanks for the suggestions guys!