LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Black Bar

Guest mattlab

Guest mattlab

How do i get rid of the Black Bar on the right side of my screen. I have a toshiba laptop and just got the latest driver version 56.82 and 20.19 from this site.

The only known solution for now is to drop back to a 4x.xx driver. All of the 5x.xx drivers produce the black bar on many (if not all) Toshibas. Finding a solution to this is one of our top priorities.

This all around here is beta, so no need to call 0-800-TOSHiBA. They have no support for modified INFs and drivers.

Guest PeteSL

A number of months ago, I did contact Toshiba as my laptop is still under waranty. They ended up giving me an email address that is only accessible from inside Toshiba to send my concern to. Great help <_<

nVidia made a change in their display detection code when they went to the 5x.xx drivers causing many Toshiba laptop displays to be incorrectly identified. From the looks of it SoftEDIDs no longer works and mobile also seems to be ineffective.

We can only hope that Toshiba has now seen the problem and reported it back to nVidia. Too bad neither company provides end-user email support.

nVidia made a change in their display detection code when they went to the 5x.xx drivers causing many Toshiba laptop displays to be incorrectly identified.  From the looks of it SoftEDIDs no longer works and mobile also seems to be ineffective.

Interesting, though, that in my experience the black bar feature is inconsistent through versions: on my machine, 44.68->ok, 46.34->bb, 46.90->bb, 47.12->ok (last week's infs).

infs for v52.16:

Pieters v11.64 and 11.65

eventually you have to rename it in nv4_disp.inf, if you don't intend to run into problems during UNinstallation

Nice! Have fun with your new Laptop :)

btw there is a saying around here:

"The only place to go, where problems get solved"

:)

I just wanted to mention that v52.16 is actuaally a desktop driver.... !???

But as we also found out: NVIDIA's UDA seems to work

52.16 whql with 9.6 inf works for me as well without black bar. Great. I do not know how I missed that in past tests.

However, when I try to use the desktop properties I get a message saying that (more or less) screen settings are invalid and the driver was created for an older win version. I think someone in this forum had the same problem, but I cannot find the post ( and the answer).

I was surprised a lot when I later found that on my system using 52.16 the black bar is INF-DEPENDENT. In fact it came back when I tried to use inf 11.65. :)

9.6 has many more nv_tweaks enabled than 11.65. I tried to enable them, but the black bar remained. Maybe an inf guru can have a more educated guess of what can be the fundamental difference between those infs.

Guest Gialdy

I'm going back to the basics.

It's wierd that Velocity7 inf doesn't have the bar and Pieter on does, if they are essencially the same. I belief we are missing something or misunderstanding something.

Currently we have to mayor problems, black bars and standby. Both of these problems are old problems that somehow we get the fix and then they come back.

I'm going back to the basics, to Pieter inf 1.02, which was the one that really fixed things for the 45.xx. The 45.23-45.33 worked perfect with this inf. What I'm concern is that in the develpment process we have taken out something or added it out of order and now we are kinda guessing what's going on.

I'm not used to checking the inf, I just used them and it's taking me a lot more time than the one I have. If someone else wants to look at inf, let me know.

I'll keep everyone posted, if I find anything.

In fact it was just a tiny typo. See topic on inf dependency in Technical.