LaptopVideo2Go Forums

What happens when you use system restore.....

Bill

What happens when you use system restore to uninstall drivers too many times.

First here is what you get when you sign on:

lots_of_duplicates.jpg

Here is all the duplicate files:

duplicates.jpg

Here is all the duplicate files deleted:

duplicates2.jpg

And here they are in the recycling bin:

duplicates3.jpg

One reason that I use system restore to revert back to old drivers is that it is easy and it keeps my old driver settings.

I posted this because I'm bored and its funny.

If you also use system restore it is usaully perfectly safe to delete all the duplicate files. In my case I got back 52 MB harddrive space but I havent permanently deleted the files yet.

I know the pics are big but I like big pics.

Comments appreciated. (I'm bored)

Those pix prove your commitment to ceaseless testing of various drivers... :)

• 1 month later...

System Restore never works for me unless I dedicate lots of space to it. How much storage space do you guys give it?

I give it too much, end of story.

lol

I have it set to 12% of my HD space right now, I think.

Whatever 12% of my HD is.

Edit: I can't believe someone replied to my thread!

Bill

I have never used System Restore, does that make me a virgin ?

I use a testing partition where I install and uninstall drivers, after about 6 months of this and probably around a 100 installs, I just format that partition and start again.

So my main partition stays nice and clean, I'll only install a driver if I'm happy with it.

A the moment 61.77 with INFv30.25.

Pieter.

lol

Bill

Hehe, how big is your HD though? I mean when I have it at 10%, it works but when I have it at 1%, it never restores.

I have never used System Restore, does that make me a virgin ?

I use a testing partition where I install and uninstall drivers, after about 6 months of this and probably around a 100 installs, I just format that partition and start again.

So my main partition stays nice and clean, I'll only install a driver if I'm happy with it.

A the moment 61.77 with INFv30.25.

Pieter.

Drivers isn't the problem. One time, a USB Hub wasn't installed correctly so I deleted the driver from the registry and the system can no longer detect any USB device. Thank god System Restore restored to the previous snapshot or otherwise, I would have to clone the HD again and start over with the massive amounts of post SP1 patches.

lol

Bill

Hehe, how big is your HD though? I mean when I have it at 10%, it works but when I have it at 1%, it never restores.

How big do you think it is? Check me sig again.

You should probably set like between 5 and 12%.

I am thinking about getting a 160 GB 7,200 RPM HD (or somethign close to that),

and an external enclosure so I can use it on my laptop, or just about any newer PC for that matter.

This is what I was thinking of getting,

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-145-346&depa=1

It looks nice and has USB 2.0 and firewire.

You can pick a 160 GB or so HD for like $100 these days, I would never run out of storage space with that. (for a while anyway) I do video editing on this laptop so it would come in handy, the other day I had a 10 GB AVI file that was less than 50 Min long.

It was compressed with a lossless codec.

lol

Bill

How big do you think it is? Check me sig again.

You should probably set like between 5 and 12%.

I am thinking about getting a 160 GB 7,200 RPM HD (or somethign close to that),

and an external enclosure so I can use it on my laptop, or just about any newer PC for that matter.

This is what I was thinking of getting,

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-145-346&depa=1

It looks nice and has USB 2.0 and firewire.

You can pick a 160 GB or so HD for like $100 these days, I would never run out of storage space with that. (for a while anyway) I do video editing on this laptop so it would come in handy, the other day I had a 10 GB AVI file that was less than 50 Min long.

It was compressed with a lossless codec.

Sorry, didn't check your sig but 12% I think is the default that Windows assigns so it's around 8GB. I wonder how much space is the minimum needed before System Restore will work.

12% is the default, which might be too high for some, I think that if you have a 40-80 GB or 5% should be minimum for you, if you go up to 12% that is ok but you really don't need that much on a 60 GB or bigger HD, if your HD is 100 GB or larger you don't need 12%. If your HD is 20 or 30 GB you should have atleast 7 or 8% probably.

Also, I think that the amount that you need for one restore point depends on the restore point, like what your have installed and uninstalled, ect.

Bill

That's true. I have the Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM drives. I have lots of stuff installed so free space is better than no space.