LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Lsudlow's backlight fix

Guest Rajasthan

Guest Rajasthan

Hi, I've just found this in the utilities section, and i wonder what it is... who does it "work"... because i have some kind of backlight problem (i.e. when the screen is black (like in MSDOS) i see large zones of light... i mean some of them are more liten than the others...)

is that a fix to this problem ?

thx in advance

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you're seeing is just the lighter zones from where the backlight is located. Most LCD's have brighter zones where backlight is close...

oVan

Correct, OVan. The backlight fix is for machines that fail to shut off the backlight when you close the lid.

Rajasthan, the "ultrasharp" LCD tends to "leak" a bit more than lower resolution screens for some reason. I've seen this mentioned several times on the Dell forum. One option is to lower the backlight brightness a notch or two by holding down the Fn key and hitting your "down arrow" key once or twice.

You should be able to achieve a pretty consistent black (or near black) screen. If you can't, you might want to talk to Dell.

You mean how to remove the applied fix? Like removing what the merged .REG file did?

This is what the .REG does:

It writes a folder called LidCloseSetPower in HKLM.CCS.C.GraphicDriver, which "fixes" the Backlight issue on some machines. So to revert this one, just delete the LidCloseSetClosePower folder in the registry @ the mentioned location.