LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fix for Toshiba Users with Black Bar

Teraphy

Literally the closest solution is the post above yours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teraphy

• ®®®

• Craig Corp

• ministeve

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest KrzysMen

Toshiba Satelite 1410, 1024x768 XGA.

Thanks you all very much. I just read your forum and installed driver 77.20 with new IFO file made by nHance, no BlackBar, no problems with new games on my old notebook Satelite 1410-604. All OK.

:) :) :( :P

Just installed 77.77 With INF file from PHP Link... Works like a Champ! No more god dang black bar and I can play all my games in piece... Toshiba 5105-S501 GF440Go 32MB C5 Bios... Hope all info is posted... Thanks to those who put in some serious efforts fixing this... Toshiba and Nvidia owes some ###### royalties to those people since they dont feel the need to support their consumers... Bastads!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!!!

I have Toshiba Satellite pro 6100 from soon(second hand).

GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba) NV17 (A4) 32MB DDR

BIOS 4.17.00.41.C7

It worked well till i tried to change display drivers with better(i used ver.27.27 from Toshiba site)

First i tried with 91.36 /87.25/81.86/71.90 with original .inf files but failed. There was message"The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware."

After that i installed 42.57 also with original .inf. And i have black bar :)

I uninstalled driver with original Windows driver and old 27.27 but they worked with black bar also.

I install again 42.57 with enhanced .inf for default resolution but black bar is still here!!!

What i have to do?

Welcome, please read FAQ section for all your questions. You can use Enhancer to fix blackbar problem.

thanks a lot !!!

i solve the problem.

could i ask which driver gives the best performance in my case!

• 1 month later...

Greetings., I'm very new to this...I have a Satellite M40 that upon powering up from bringing home from the store has this 3inch black bar on the right edge...is this the same problem that this thread is discussing?

I tried reading the helpful post just above...but I was lost in it :) ., how do I know which number of driver I need?

Here's my information please. Kindly,

LaptopVideo2Go_RegInfo.txt

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

Guest William E. Kimberly

I had the problem of the Black bar on the right side of the screen. Trying to update the driver using one of the nHance .inf files did work, removed the black bar BUT when running the Direct3D test on dxdiag it failed. The games did run but slowly and with graphics problems. After trying one version of each decade (4x,5x,6x,7x,8x,9x) and getting the same result I tested an self made .inf (my first) using several things learned in forums from website. To my surprise I did it correctly and with no problems my fist time! incredible! It ran Direct3D and games with no problem. I'll tell you my recipe:

1-Download the Driver from nVidia website nVidia website Windows XP/2000 Driver Archive I downloaded ver 56.72 because WinXP came with 56.73.

2-Extract the files to a known directory.

3-Open the .inf file in a text editor.

4-Search for [NVIDIA.Mfg] section and add a line of your graphic chip/card Model, this can be found in one of the nHace files. for example for the GeForce4 420 Go:

%NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0176.1% = nv4,[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]  PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0176

5-Look for the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section and add 3 lines, this depends on your screen resolution, for the codes go here. For the resolution of 1400x1050:

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 3A,C4,00,03,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,36,12,30,2A,78,20,51,1A,10,40,30,70,13,00,31
E5,10,00,00,18
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags1, %REG_BINARY%, 3A,C4,00,04,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,36,12,30,2A,78,20,51,1A,10,40,30,70,13,00,31
E5,10,00,00,18
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags2, %REG_BINARY%, 3A,C4,00,00,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,36,12,30,2A,78,20,51,1A,10,40,30,70,13,00,31
E5,10,00,00,18

6-And last in the [strings] section add your graphic chip. Here on the left you have to put the same string that you did in step 5 and on the right you can put any name. This name is going to be shown as your graphics card and remember to make it different from other so you can identified in the future. In my case I added:

NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0176.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 32M (5672)"

Typing in the (version) of the driver I used. I could have said = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 8200 Ultra" which is a gpu that does not exist and latter bragg that I had an gpu faster than anyone in the market (yeah right)

To update the driver go to My Computer->Properties->Hardware-.Device Manager->Display Devices->YourGraphicGPU right click and select Update Driver, then follow this steps:

-No, Not at this time -> NEXT

-Install from an list or specific location (Advanced) -> NEXT

-Don't search. I will choose the driver to install -> NEXT

-Click on Have Disk and on the dialog box type the directory where you extracted the drivers and where the modified .inf is. ->OK

-On the list select the Model you typed in step 6, in my case I selected NVIDIA GeForce4 32M (5672)

-Next->Yes->Next->Next->Next->Next->Next->Next->Next->Next->Next.

-Reboot.

Hopes this helps other like many posts have helped me.

William E. Kimberly

Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100

GeForce4 420 Go 32M

2.2GHz P4 384 MbRam

Greetings, I'm the guest 2/3 posts above.

I ran the BIOS update from here-choosing the windows installation version. It didn't do anything.

My Toshiba M40 has an intel video card...not an nVidia. This is losing me as I try to grapple with how to resolve this issue....does this fact matter-I seem to be under the impression I can only choose a proper driver from here if my laptop video does indeed have an nVidia card?

I've also discovered that the video driver installed is ver=6.14.10.3929 This still doesn't tell me what driver to choose :) .

helllp pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 with 128MB DDR shared video memory specifically is the card, sorry....hmmm maybe I should register :)

You need an NVIDIA card to view the beauty of the BlackBar. Sorry :)

Then welcome to the club :)

Did you updated the System BIOS with the correct file? http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/fil...M40200INTEL.EXE (Windows) or http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/fil...M40200INTEL.EXE (DOS)

I cannot tell the history of this Laptop (may it be used or refurbished or whatever)... so it's just a guess.

Something is wrong with your XP LCD/Monitor Hardwaredatabase which might the reason for the malfunction. Toshiba often uses one XP installation IMAGE for a couple of models which are based on the same model line. So in your case you have had installed a SAMSUNG LCD, an AUO LCD, TV Output was already used/configured and a couple of generic Windows LCDs, which *might* confuse windows.

I suggest my "Remove PhantomDevices Procedure" which can be found in the FAQ area (or my signature). It might help, but no guarantee.

Interesting info.

I actually tried to register 2 days ago but couldn't. Was asking for A LOT of technical info as part (at least it seemed to be required info) of the process, and I didn't have it, so I gave up after 3 attempts.

I'm pretty sure I've installed EVERYTHING and then some., but still no go.

This is a DEMO unit., but I've learned it was in fact a customer return...I've spoken with a mgr at headoffice and today they're getting back to me with a suitable/comparable replacement to send out. Too bad this was their last unit. The laptop physically is in perfect shape...just the display "doesn't work" hehe.

I'll try the remove phantom devices utility, and try again, the intel drivers/bios ones. Keep in mind I can't do the floppy install as there's no floppy drive, only do the WINDOWS version ones.

Oh and the black bar shows up in the F2 setup screen also., not only windows....anytime the laptop is 'on' the bar is there :) . Yay for mysteries.

The deeper reason might be that the SystemBIOS/VideoBIOS does not completely support the current LCD attached to the laptop. As the current one is a replacement it might not be supported yet, whereas the old one was (although it broke :) ).

I've seen countless System BIOS Updates changelogs (from TOSHiBA) which state that support for new LCDs was added. So this might be cause.

If there's still guarantee on the laptop i would try arguing with TS support for a solution.

This is more of a recap of the problem from my understanding and not much of a solution post...

Nice video, points out the problem exactly. Interesting that it is Toshiba's only and now across multiple display devices. My friend has always told me Toshiba has some crazy BIOS requirements. I could be wrong, but it sounds like the Intel card is really onboard video since it shares memory. Not sure if Intel actually makes plugin cards, but anyway I also don't know the breakdown for onboard video but the video ROM must be a part of the system BIOS. Which will help explain the bar in the setup screen. The issues on NVIDIA cards doesn't occur until Windows initialization when the video card actually polls for valid EDID.

The best case scenario is to replace the unit. The next best case would be where Windows is displayed properly. Sadly, the solution we use here is directed at NVIDIA cards because NVIDIA supplies a registry key to assist in matters and not knowing whether Intel supplies such a work around for their graphics is another matter. Therefore see scenario one. :)

Regarding the circumstances...in brief this was a DEMO unit retail 1699CAD, that TheSourceCC (in Canada) listed at $649, with 'Explicitly a 1yr Toshiba Warantee.

Who would be an IDIOT to pass this up. Upon receiving this and powering it up, the defect was noticed. I called up Toshiba Tech. Support who told me that this unit was registered to a person LAST year, and the warantee had in fact expired.

yep...big screw up on TSCC's side. Seems it was a returned item that slipped Q&A, and went out as a Demo in their clearance section???

After speaking with a mgr at head office, who naturally was apologetic but powerless to find me a replacement unit, immediately offered a full refund without the restock fee of course.

I wish they found me a replacement...in fact they offered a couple refurbs (ACER, M40X CELERON) retail 900-1000 but that's not a remotely close fair offer.

I've given up., I'm going into town today to ask a couple computer stores to see if they have a quick fix for it...if not, I'm returning it. IF there's a fix, I'll call the mgr back one more time, lay it out, and suggest they refund a further 25-50% and I'd keep it-otherwise there's no point in gambling with an out of warantee unit.

Was I naive in believing that they have a Q&A dept which should ensure such hiccups don't happen?

Too bad-was getting REAL comfy with this laptop (eventhough it was originally bought for my buddy hehe). It's got a beautiful screen, very nice esthetic keypads, and my favourite (built-in SD card reader) hehe yes I have humble requirements...not a gamer :) .

Thanks again for your help.

• 3 months later...

:edit: Nevermind! I uninstalled all the drivers i tried sofar, and installed 77.79 again with the INF and it worked! :)

Hi there. I have a problem with the solution given here for the black bar problem.

I have a Toshiba SP 6100 with the Geforce420go (32mb) with a 1024x768 screen.

(Bios 4.17.00.41.C7 )

I'm trying Vista for the first time and offcourse the driver provided by Microsoft doesnt have alot of options.

First tried the Vista drivers from this website but they dont work for me (after reboot i disables the device, error 43) so I decided to try the XP drivers.

I looked up which driver would serve me best in the recommended driver thread and I decided on 77.79.

I downloaded the driver and used the enhancer to get an optimized INF (selected 77.79 and selected the toshiba screen size). I put the new INF in the folder where I extracted the driver, overwriting the original INF. The tried installing using setup and also by selected the driver from the device manager. Both resulted in a working driver but still the black bar.

Can anyone help me get rid of the dreaded black bar?

Edited by Padraig

• 2 weeks later...
:edit: Nevermind! I uninstalled all the drivers i tried sofar, and installed 77.79 again with the INF and it worked! :)

Hi there. I have a problem with the solution given here for the black bar problem.

I have a Toshiba SP 6100 with the Geforce420go (32mb) with a 1024x768 screen.

(Bios 4.17.00.41.C7 )

I'm trying Vista for the first time and offcourse the driver provided by Microsoft doesnt have alot of options.

First tried the Vista drivers from this website but they dont work for me (after reboot i disables the device, error 43) so I decided to try the XP drivers.

I looked up which driver would serve me best in the recommended driver thread and I decided on 77.79.

You have exactly the same Toshiba model as I have. 71.90 works for this model, see my posts in this thread. If 71.90 works, then you can try later drivers. I had problems with some later drivers, and I kept 71.90.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the Toshiba Qosmio G15-AV501 sold in US, with 17" screen, supporting max. 1440x900 according to the spec. It has the Nvidia FX Go5700 GPU - and seems to give exactly the same problems after driver installation - vertical black and white stripes all over the screen (I can't see any of the screen), or chequered stripes. I've tried applying the modified, or enhanced .inf files, but you don't seem to have any for this particular resolution, and none of the other three work. In registry, under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Display I have "TOS508B" - which I'm not sure if is the correct EDID. I can only use the laptop if I disable the video card driver all together. Does anybody happen to have the correct inf file? Let me know if you need any further info.

Many thanks,

S

• 2 months later...

Hello. I'm french and my english is not perfect, so i'll try to be as understandable as possible.

I've discovered this website doing research to find a driver for my nVidia GeForce4 420 Go card installed on my toshiba laptop (satellite 1410).

I understood how to make the drivers work with that kind of cards and it worked almost perfectly. The only problem was the Black Bar issue that you are talking about in this topic !!!!

So i was really happy when i saw that i was not the only one with this issue and that you had solutions for it !!!

I understood what do I have to do to resolve the black bar... But i can't do it because in this website there is no INF Enhancer anymore !!!!

Apparently, the link http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer is not working !!!! And i don't know how to get modified INF files for removing the black bar (I installed the 67.90 driver).

Could you please let me know if the INF Enhancer is coming back online soon, or if you can tell me what to modify exactly in my actual configuration to remove that black bar.

I'll be grateful for any help for the rest of my life !

Thank you very much !

• 7 months later...

I have been fighting with the same issue. I tried the above fix but it didn't work for me so after some hacking I have come up with this one, its a combination of teraphy's fix and the omega 1.6693 driver, It has fixed my black bar issue and I have managed to make the 420 go card run under vista with the omega performance mods (I can play frets on fire without lagging finally)

You need to use the 66.93 drivers and replace their nv_disp.inf with this one.

Please note this works on my 1024x768 screen on vista, I don't know how it will go in another resolution or O/S but I think it should work fine in XP too

nv4_disp.inf

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello,

I was reinstalling WinXP SP2 on a French

Toshiba Satellite Pro SP 2100 laptop

when the black bar showed up on the right of my screen.

After (eventually and thankfully) finding your page, I replaced the Nvida driver [ *.inf ] file with the 1024x768 .inf driver you provide here, reinstalled the driver, rebooted the computer, and it works like a charm: I recoverd my screen!

Thank you so much for your help and all the best,

Fred

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I've got the similar problem on my notebook - aristo smart 340 (its a polish brand probably). I got a black bar on right side of screen ane the task panel (u know, where the start button, clock and icons are) is expanded ( i mean over 2 timeswider) and dush (swing?) a bit. Unfortunately this laptop goes with unichrome pro igp graphic card instead of nvidia ones:( Are there any chances to solve this problem? Thx for any help:)

Ps. The only resolution i can set is 1024x 768 and 800x600, the lcd screen is 15,4 wxga 1280x800 pixels.

Pps. I know my english sux, i hope u understand ..:/