LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrade

Guest Marek

Guest Marek

Is that possible change geforce2 to geforce4 in Inspiron 8100? Mayby any one know - if yes, how much cost second hand or new geforce4 card. THX

Yes, it's possible.... Not sure on the cost though. You can even get a Radeon 9000 Mobility 64MB which would be a step above the GeForce4 440 4Go but below the Quadro4Go 700GL.

You can only upgrade to a card that was made to fit in the 8100 or another model with the same design. I don't think Dell offeres an laptop video upgrade service which means the only way to upgrade is to replace the card yourself. You need to call Dell spare parts department to order the card and ask about pricing.

aye29 is right on the money on that one.. :)

install.gif

Guest Angel

Wouldnt there be a heating issue involved? There was a topic on dell community forum about upgrading i8200/i8500 (with nvidia geforce4 4200 go 64mb) to ATI Radeon 9800 128mb. They said it can be done but you need to do a heavy creative modification because overheating will only shutdown your laptop to prevent excessive damage. The modification includes buying stuff from plumbers like those metallic thing that covers the interior of your video card slots, installing guifan, replacing the pads, etc. If you search the forum, you'd even find instructions with photos on how to do it.

Good luck!

Angel,

That's the i8500, D800, i8600 you're talking about since those are D series platforms. The i8000/i8100/i8200/C800/C810/C840/M50 are all considered the C series platform and made by Compal. The D series is made by Quanta.

Angel:

I think there is more space in the C series as it's 3 spindles and 2 PCMCIA versus the 2 spindle and 1 PCMCIA slot.