LaptopVideo2Go Forums

61.77 Problem

Guest Guest

I tried installing the 61.77 drivers a few days ago, and I was fairly happy with them. Good benchmarks, good looks, I was happy. Well, I had this problem where when I'd boot my computer, once the computer got to the point where the login screen was supposed to pop up, all I got was a black sreen with a funky garbled box in the lower left hand corner.

Specs are: Toshiba 5205-s119, 2.2 Ghz P 4-M, 512 MB RAM, nVidia go5600 64MB graohics chip.

I hadn't heard of this problem before, but then again, I haven't seen anyone else here with the same model that I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm sorry to reactivate this thread, but i've got the black screen problem and nothing seams to help.

I have tried severals things:

- All different versions of the drivers (mostly all 6X.XX drivers, with the 5X.XX drivers i havn't got the problem) with different versions of the INF files (with the blankdelay option enabled).

- I tried to mod my own INF file (change register keys. Add some older keys, which i got from my original driver)

Nothing seams to work, mostly when i install the new driver, the first boot is everything ok, but on the second i only got this black screen with the small box on the left down side. This happens right after the Win2k loading screen is displayed and the graphical mode is about to open. Does anyone has an idea, what the problem can be? My friend has the same laptop and he has the same problem. We worked 3 evenings on this problem (so we really tested a lot things), but nothing helps!

Here are the details of our systems:

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite 5200-902

Graphic: GeForce Go5600, 64MB Ram

If somebody has an idee or a solution we would really be happy...the 6X.XX drivers are so fast!

I can try the ideas you have - so we can find a solution for that problem (i'm shure we're not the only one with that problem)....

So thank you....

Greetings

Oli

Hello again

I've worked again with the driver and found an interesting thing:

The problem only happens on a Win2000 system. I've installed the same driver on WinXP and it works fine.

Has anybody now an idea?

Greetings

Oli

PS: Oh by the way, i hope you all understand my english!?

How big is the box? Could it be the login screen shrunk?

Do you have to login or does it occur then bypass the login screen and return to normal? The BIOS part is fine so it must be inside Windows only?

It's odd that it's only a 2K issue...

The Box is very small at the left down corner and i don't think that it's a kind of login screen! It has very various colors. It happens right after de Win2k loading screen has finished and the graphical mode is about to open. I think after the screen has switched to black, the whole system is hanging, because there is no more harddisk action!

It's very mysterious that it's only a Win2k problem. Has anyone tried the drivers with Win2k or are there only WinXP users out there?

Another small thing with the 56.XX driver: Has anyone the problem with these drivers, that the mouse-cursor is invisible? It is there (i can mark things or click on the start button) but it's not visible!

Guest need-help-man

I too have this problem:

specs:

Toshiba Satellite 5200-802

Geforce FX 5600go 64mb

XP-SP2

I installed 61.77 ..everything went well..even reboot...but after restarting the comp again the login screen was gone...everything was black...

I had to restart in safe mode, unistall drivers back ... i would be really happy if Pieter or anybody else could provide a fixed INF coz I just don't think I'm pretty good at editing INF's......

thx for everything

ups,

my full specs

P4-M 2,2ghz

Satellite 5200-802

Geforce FX 5600go 64mb

screen res. 1024x 756

no i don't think the login screen shrunk... its just black...i tried to type my password..but its like frozen...

thx 4 any help

Edited by dontknow

All i found is that the "ModsetBlankDelay" line must be inserted, but it hasn't helped! I tried various other things (INF files) and drivers (all 6X.XX versions), but nothing solved the problem! It would be really nice if somebody can help us!

Thanx

To Oli and others with this problem, i had something similar, blank screen on boot up. After playing around with Pieters INF i was able to get it to work.

i have uploaded the inf file i used, but i warn you, its to my laptop specifications.

(Toshiba Sat 5200 2.2ghz 64mb go5600)

let me know your results, and i hope this helps.

btw keep up the good work Pieters and Co.

This INF is for driver v61.77

nv4_disp.inf

Edited by dontknow

7th, what setting do you think has solved the "Blank-Screen-On-Boot-Before-Login"-problem?

I do believe it's ModeSetBlankDelay = 150, the only difference I could see.

yes, i changed the ModeSetBlankDelay to 150 and reduced the number of display modes. I doubt the latter makes much of a difference, just my preference in having fewer screen resolutions (that my laptop actually supports) to choose from.

Cheers.

Guest need help man

So are all the people who have this black logon screen problem for 61.77 also having the same issues for all later driver?... i really hope that you look more into this issues since there seem to be more people with this issue...

please bring some light into this issue

BTW are only Toshiba's (Satellite) with Geforce FX cards affected?

Sorry for my long respond time!

So i've tried the INF file posted in this thread, but i'm sorry to tell you, that the problem is still there!

But there was something that maybe can help to find the problem:

First i've removed my old display drivers (original 43.36 drivers from toshiba), than i had to reboot. After that i installed the 61.77 drivers with the inf file from this thread. After the reboot, windows booted normaly, but only with the 640x480 resolution. I change my resolution to 1600x1200 and rebooted again. Now windows stopped with the black screen. So i booted in the VGA mode and reset the resolution to 640x480, but windows isn't booting anymore.

So my question is: Is it possible, that a setting from the original toshiba driver can stay in the registry until windows has booted one time with the new driver? If we can find this setting, perhaps we can solve the problem!

Thank you all....

Black logon screen still remains even with the INF from this thread :-(

oli, i hope your input helps to find the source of this problem... please help us (BTW: I unistalled old drivers befor using the new ones...and a couple of times 61.77 drivers did work rebooting the pc, but then after a complete shutdown and startup ---> black screen)

Guest need help man

Oli - after a clean uninstall and reboot all the settings of the 43.36 should be gone...correct me if I'm wrong...there are also "removal tools" to trace all nvidia files...

i don't think that's the right hint to avoid the Toshiba driver update horror

Is everybody talking about 61.77 driver here or have you tried other drivers like the 66.31non whql with the latest INF?

Is it only on Win2K or does it happen in XP too?

Which cards are affected? I see FX Go5600. Any more?

You all are guests, make things difficult. Register & Put in a signature.

One problem went (Blackbar) another black thing appears.... Toshibas are strange or need weirsd timings. Or they just have character :)

So, as you can see, i'm now a registred user :-)....

I've tried nearlly all 6X.XX drivers with the related INF file, i will try the new driver and send the result to you tomorrow!

I also thought that all settings from the driver are removed, but why can i boot one time without problems? I think this is very mysterious!

As a wrote, the same (also same INF file) 61.77 driver is running on my XP system without problems. I only get the problem on my Win2k system (which is my prefered system).

Thanks now we need input from the others.

Guest need help man

ok... i'll registry later... i'm have to go right now so everything in short:

I have Windows XP / SP2 / Toshiba Satellite 5200 / Geforce FX 5600 / and still black logon screen, I think it's a toshiba related problem not Windows'

cheers

so far 3 people with Black Logon Screen:

Toshiba 5200....... ..XP...FX Go5600 (need help man)

Toshiba 5200-802...2K...FX Go5600 (oli)

Toshiba 5200..........XP...FX Go5600 (seventh)

All this only happened when you tried to upgrade from 40.xx series to 61.77?

What is the symtom?

Is there a "Black Logon Screen" or "a black sreen with a funky garbled box" or only "Box is very small at the left down corner" (all quotes)

A small correction: My laptop model is 5200-902

All three symtoms are nearly the same! Mostly i have only a black screen after Win2k is about to switch into the grafical mode! But sometimes a have a small box at the lower left side!

Today i've tried the new 66.31 driver with the INF 30.28 (blankdelay line enabled), but i still get the black screen (also at the first reboot)!

I had a 5X.XX driver running at the first time i updated to the 6X.XX driver! Now i installed the original Toshiba 43.36 driver and update to the 61.77 driver! After this update procedure, i got windows running for one boot, but after reboot the black screen was there again!

So i hope you understand my update way!

Guest need help man

hey oli, ur from switzerland too? ..nice

Ok, it's me having a Satellite 5200 - 802

I upgraded from 5x.xx driver ..i haven't used 4x.xx drivers for ages... i also was never effected by the "black" bar problem...but this login black screen gives me the creeps