LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Your Drivers allways crash :/

fame

hello guys!!

i tried some different drivers from u with the modded inf files but allways, if i try to play a game, the screen freezes.

i got an inspiron 5150 with a mobile 2,80ghz p4 and a geforce fx5200 go 64mb, 512 mb ram..

its not thats my laptop is running hot.. it stays at 55C

thx

Tell us what OS you have and what SPs you have installed, what games you play that have this problem, and what drivers you have tried.

Edit: Also tell us what screen resolution you try to run games at and what kind of screen you have.

Bill

Tell us what OS you have and what SPs you have installed, what games you play that have this problem, and what drivers you have tried.

Edit: Also tell us what screen resolution you try to run games at and what kind of screen you have.

Bill

windows xp with SP1 installed.

resolution is mostly 1024 because its the best for my laptop.

games are tonyhawk 3 (or 4??), max payne 2, true crimes: streets of la

thats it. would be great if u have an idea!! thx

1. Are you overclocking at all? That and overheating are the most frequent cause of screen freezes, especially if it happens in more than one game. Check the overclocking page in the nVidia Control Panel and make sure it's set for the default frequencies.

2. There's nothing in the INF that should cause screen freezes unless you're using my custom INF for the 5150, which does have some extra tweaks enabled. If you're using mine, try Pieters instead.

3. If you've been using Pieter's, try mine and see if it helps. You can find it here.

Let us know what happens!

no overclocking, im no pc noob :) that would be the first thing i would turn off.. like i told: IM NOT OVERHEATING! i got the air to blast of the dust (sorry, my english really sucks :/), i got a tool that check my temperature...

which is yours and which is pieters one? i tryed the one from laptopvideo2go page. is it yours?

if u told me that i can try the other one and tell u what happened!

My custom inf for the 5150 is here.

And your english is fine! :)

thx :)

your inf seems to be working, dont have time to play more then 30 minutes now. but with the other infs it often crashes after 5 minutes..

but i got a new problem with your inf :) i cant use my tv out to play games on my tv :/

i only can chose single screen, no clone or so..

edit: i saw your system info: is the a35 bios better then the a36 or why ure not updating?

To get your TV to work, you have to have it connected when you boot your laptop. If that doesn't work, go into the Troubleshooting page of the nVidia Control Panel and check the box that says, "My conntected TV is not being detected."

If neither of those works, buy a copy of TV Tool from the link below. It's a great tool that offers many more TV options than the nVidia Control Panel does. Very affordable too.

TV Tool

Yes, this is a fairly recent change in the nVidia drivers. Clone Mode used to be available whether you had anything connected or not.

Oh... You can also try using Fn+F8 to activate your TV. I'm not sure if that method requires a reboot or not.

On your question about the BIOS, the 5150 overheats fairly easily when its cooling fins become clogged with dust. The A36 BIOS attempts to work around it by changing the heat tables to run the fan more often. In my case it was running TOO often and too fast and the noise was annoying me. Since I keep my cooling fins clean, I reverted back to the A35 BIOS.

mhh, i never had a problem with overheating..

i keep my fan clean to, with that air u told me :) was an good idea!!

well, my fan is not running to often. only if i play a 3D game with lots of grafic the fan turns on.. and i allways play with music, so its no problem :) but thanks for the answer.

i try the thing with fn + f8.. bye

got an shareware of the tv tool but dont know how it works :/

dont get any kind of pic on my tv, that sucks :/

edit: i got new informations: could it be that it is your inf file sudlow? the tv tool say that i got no TV chip.. if i use driver (dell) withhout your inf i says i got a tv chip.. thats strange.

Okay... Try this version of my inf and see if it helps. If not, you may have a hardware problem since you were crashing with Pieter's inf.

nv4_disp.inf

Some Dell's do have problems with TV-out, it has something to do with the TV-out encoder (not sure wether Dell uses Chrontel)

Overheating is normally caused by the vents being blocked.

Make sure you have a gap underneath the laptop this is normally where the air is sucked in.

So if it's on a desk you may nned to raise the back a little to make a gap.

Also make sure none of the vents on the back or side are blocked as these are usually where the hot air come out of.

Ambient tempurature can add to the probkem as well, the hotter the room temp, the harder the fans have to work to remove the heat.

When the machine is hot the fans should run ALL the time, if they don't you may have a hardware/software problem.

Get fanGUI and set to max cooling.

On the webpage for Driver/INFs are now INFs with no tweraks what so ever, try on of these.

It might be on of the tweaks causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

Dell (or at least the 5150 ) doesn't use Chrontel. It just says "TV Encoder Type: Integrated (MV).

Fame, I wondered about the hardware because the TV Out on my nearly identical 5150 works fine. Maybe it's a PAL vs. NTSC problem.

Try one of the earlier drivers and verify that it still works. If we can figure out what works and what doesn't, it will be a good clue. Thanks!

Here is what properties state for my TV-encoder what is your fame ? (Chrontel 7007)

properties.jpg

like sudlow says: integrated (MV)

the older drivers still work. got the newest (from the dell page) that works.

@mobilenvidia: im no noob :P i build me a nice construction where i got a 5cm gap under my notebook :) works fine. and the other fans can blow where ever they want :) i got a tool that says me the temp. of my cpu and its never over 60. if i idle in windows its only 30 degrees.. ill try the ins without tweaks and tell you if it works.

i got anther thing that is strange: at the driver page (like mobilenvidia postet the pic) there he tell me NOT agp x4 or something like that... he tells me: PCI x0

is that normal on an inspiron 5150?

Fame, you're right, it should say AGP 4x, not PCI. You should be able to set it on the AGP Settings page (with our driver, not with Dell's).

I agree with Pieter... Try his "No Tweaks" inf and see if your TV works. Your machine may not like one of my tweaks for some reason.

where can i change it to AGP? dont find it :)

with the no tweaks inf i even got no nview option :/ so its more worse then the tweaked inf..

the TVtool says that i have to install detonator 45.73 or higher... :)

maybe it has something to do with the image i postet now.. got this from the beginning and dont know what kind of component it is :/

post-18-10949014410_thumb.jpg

With my inf, the AGP settings should be just under NVRotate on the nVidia Control Panel menu. But that may not be your problem.

Do you have any idea what that unknown device is? Try deleting it and let it auto-detect. If it fails again, we need to figure out what driver you're missing.

i never had an agp setting at the nvidia driver "page". not with your infs, pieters inf or the dell driver.. :/ maybe i got a pci card? but i cant believe that..

the unknown device ill try later, but at this time he never found any driver for it.. :/ and my comp. dont want to search in the internet :/