LaptopVideo2Go Forums

SP1/SP2 WLAN Card Fix (AGERE MiniPCI WLAN)

®®®

Issue:

After a 'clean' installation of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (rather than an installation of the Service Pack 2 upgrade for Windows XP), the built-in Toshiba (AGERE) Wireless LAN Mini PCI card will not detect Wi-Fi access points or other Wi-Fi devices, due to an IRQ conflict.

I found a technically more precise description for the "IRQ conflict":

Agere MiniPCI wireless LAN device has TI1410 CardBus controller and 16bit wireless LAN device on MiniPCI card. This registry key is effected to assign a same IRQ for TI1410 CardBus controller and 16bit wireless LAN device.

Affected models & WLAN card:

Agere MiniPCI Wireless LAN (802.11b/11MBit) installed in:

Satellite

5005-S504

5005-S507

5005-S508

5105-S607

5105-S608

5105-S501

5105-S701

5105-S502

5105-S702

5105-S901

5205-S503

5205-S703

5205-S504

5205-S704

5205-S505

5205-S506

5205-S5151

5205-SP505

5205-S705

5205-S119

Solution:

merge this reg file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters]

"IrqRouteToPciController"=dword:00000006

note:

- For Windows XP ServicePack 1 (clean install) this registry entry is also needed and available at the Toshiba support site since 2001

- if you have Windows 2000 you need to set the value to 0, else the device will not resume when coming out of standby

- There were 2 firmware updates available (v8.42 & v8.72) for that card, but not anymore. If anybody is interested i can upload them plus the latest driver (Service Release v02-2.3), which you need when you update the firmware.

This fix just made my WiFi happen!! After 2 years, i clean and fresh installed XP with a slipstreamed SP2. :) The Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card was not detecting my AP and seems not to function anymore, but remembering this small .reg file brought it back to life!

:)

TICardBusIrqRouting.reg

• 2 months later...

And this is the fix for the correct WakeUp after standby :)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters]
"DisableIsaToPciRouting"=dword:00000000

Disable_ISA_to_PCI_Routing.reg

• 2 months later...

hey...i am trying to find a driver for a lucent wireless pcmcia card with external antenna hookup. the part number is 012699/B

When it tries to install is says "found hardware" Lucent Technologies wavLAN/IEEE

I dont know the model or anything...just part number and a T/N number. I figured p/n would be best. Please help.

Look in the Device Manager for an unknown (currently not properly installed) device with a "yellow ?". Then find out the device and subsys ID of this your WaveLAN device by open up the properties and clicking the details tab. This should give a hint who the manufacturer etc. of the device is.

• 1 month later...
Guest Albanetz

First of all, thanks a lot for making the drivers, firmware updates and AGERE Wireless Lan Client Manger available for download! I couldn't find this stuff anywhere else.

Now, some questions:

1. Are the firmware updates that you provided necessary? How to determine that? As I understand, there won't be any undo-opportunity if something goes wrong?

2. What is the correct procedure -- first apply both firmware updates, then restart, then install the new drivers? Or do the drivers go first?

3. The "fix for the correct WakeUp after standby" that you are talking about here -- is it also available from Toshiba's support site? If not, what makes it necessary? Is it only needed together with the new driver?

4. Is the AGERE Wireless Lan Client Manger a really handy piece of software? Is it necessary or does it give any advantages compared to the standard Windows software or the standard software from Toshiba that came with the 5205-s703? Does it get in conflict with the Toshiba's software?

Edited by ®®®

Yes i can, and if you ask a couple (11!) of detailed questions, you WILL receive a detailed answer, but currently i don't have the time for that :)

Brief:

1.there is a changelog somewhere.

2.You should update. first FW, then driver.

3.Standby fix is available @ Toshiba somwhere, too

4.You need to try out yourself all 3.

Albanetz, it would be nice if you link THIS thread to the thread about the 5205-s703 i just discovered @ the IXBT forum :)

Guest Albanetz

@@@, Thanx for the answers and -- yes! -- I will be delighted to link that thread to the iXBT forum thread dedicated to 5205-s703! You speak Russian yourself, I suppose? :)

Do i look like a russian living in Berlin with a Jamaican flag :) ?

I need to ask 'HexploR' or use worldlingo.com to translate, which sucks sometimes, though i can get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Charles Morrison

I've got a Satelllite 1416-s173 that refuses to connect to a WAP with any WLAN card IF i install the Nvidia Geforce4 420 drivers. Uninstall the drivers, it works fine, reinstall the drivers for video support, no WLAN.. It sees the access point, but it refuses to connect.

I've fresh installed XP and it still doesnt help..I've tried changing the mentioned reg key, but thats not helped either!

Any ideas?

It reminds me of a problem we had a while back (1year?), but it wasn't solved and then suddenly with the release of more recent drivers we never heard of it again.

Try searching the forum for "SpreadSpectrum" (that is the setting in the INF where i thought it would cause the anomaly, but it was never proven and probably wrong), you might find some more information & users who suffered from this problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rogerlunel

Hi, I'm experiencing exactly the same problem you had:

Clean install of XP Pro with SP2, to give the system a fresh start. Mini PCI WLAN card looks fine in the Device Manager, but does not detect any AP. I know there is one and I know the card worked with the standard XP home installation.

It's a Toshiba Satellite 5200-903.

I applied the IRQ provided here and in on the Toshiba site. No result.

:)

Geee, don't know what to do anymore...

:P

I checked an littel bit the IRQs of other devieces and: is it that no IRQ my be used by two devices? Because the Texas Instruments PCI-1410 Cardbus Controller is also at IRQ 6....

Any ideas :)

Roger

is it that no IRQ my be used by two devices
Not anymore. That was recommended back in the days of Win95,98 and when ACPI was not implemented in BIOS or supported by OS.

Toshiba Laptop generally all have (i guess since the late 90 models) ACPI enabled, but a couple of IRQs are always shared. ACPI also allows to have more than 16 IRQs. (Virtual) IRQs 17 till 26(?) are created by the OS.

If i rememebr correct the WLAN needs to be firmware-updated in order to run properly with the new drivers. Other than that i have no idea, what could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TnightT

Hi there,

I actually had a new WXP with SP2 installed on my Toshiba TE2100 Labtop and I can't seem to get my wireless connection.

I have tried the registry help that you gave but I seem to have no luck.

When I look at my device manager there was one device unknown. I have tried to find a driver but I have no luck either. The device is a Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter. I think this device relates to why my wireless connection is not working.

Please :)

TnightT

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest middle_road
Issue:

After a 'clean' installation of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (rather than an installation of the Service Pack 2 upgrade for Windows XP), the built-in Toshiba (AGERE) Wireless LAN Mini PCI card will not detect Wi-Fi access points or other Wi-Fi devices, due to an IRQ conflict.

Thank You ®®®!!!

The registry addition worked.

(after bashing head against wall... :) )

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Issue:

... There were 2 firmware updates available (v8.42 & v8.72) for that card, but not anymore. If anybody is interested i can upload them plus the latest driver (Service Release v02-2.3), which you need when you update the firmware.

Please help me upgrade the driver for my Toshiba-Wireless_LAN_Card-E5D7\1. It is presently wlags48b.sys, Agere Systems 2002, v.7.62.0.390.

I downloaded the Wireless Client Manager 3.30 that SnowOwl posted (I believe I'm crediting the poster correctly, possibly not -- I've worked on this all day long), hoping to use it to manage an update of my driver; but, unfortunately, the manager/utility is newer than the card so I can't go at it that way.

Also, I can't figure out how to update the card with the Windows drivers zip file's contents that I downloaded about the time I downloaded the Client Manager. Based on that zip file's readme.txt, which is titled: "Agere Systems, SR02-2.3, NDIS 5.x Miniport Drivers, Variant 1 Version: 7.82," I should be using driver NDIS 5.x Miniport v 7.82 and there was mention of N50 = D50, etc., which I didn't understand.

I picked out the 3 pertinent files from the zip to read about updating my Toshiba/Agere driver and I read two of them: the WLAGSALL.inf and WNAGS.hlp files; but, I didn't know what to do with the WNAGS.cnt file, nor do I know if it holds the answer as to updating.

Why does this all have to be so complicated? Gracious.

I'm definitely stuck at the dead-end of dumb. :) Thanks for any help.

Jacqueline

• 2 months later...