LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INF for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

November 22, 2004:

- Corrected the way Overlay defaults are stored.

- Corrected the ThermalSettings value.

This inf is a fairly polished version and should work well for all Inspiron 5150 and 5160 users.

It looks like the inf structure for the 7x.xx series may not be fully compatible with the 5x.xx and 6x.xx series. So, unless someone spots a problem with this one, I'll probably focus on the new series from now on. However, because the 7x.xx drivers probably won't work for everyone, we'll keep this version available.

As always, let me know if there are any problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• Kamika007z

• Bill

• ®®®

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

December 13, 2004:

- Added 7x.xx driver support

- Corrected the value for "AllowMaxPerf".

- Updated the PerfLevelSrc value to reflect the latest Dell drivers.

Although the inf structure for the 7x.xx series is slightly different, it works fine with all 5x.xx and 6x.xx drivers. If you spot a problem with it, please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

December 30, 2004:

- Enabled all current DirectX and DirectDraw texture and surface formats. This is a fairly significant upgrade.

If you spot a problem with it, please let me know.

major upgrade!! :)

:P

The last INF in this year :)

January 4, 2005:

- added a new VMR Overscan/Underscan slider to the Overlay page on 7x.xx drivers.

January 9, 2005:

- User-selected modes now survive reboots

- Improved video (movie) performance on both the LCD and on external TVs and monitors.

(NOTE: VMR needs to be enabled in BOTH the nVidia Control Panel and in whatever video player you use.)

• 2 weeks later...

January 19, 2005:

- Incorporated latest changes from nVidia and Dell. These do a better job of cleaning the registry during an upgrade installation and shouldn't affect performance.

If you spot any problems, please let me know.

January 22, 2005:

- Added two new switches that IBM uses on their FX Go5200 Thinkpads. One restricts hardware overlay to 16 and 32 bit color modes (which is good), the other allows external devices specified in the BIOS to be used as a primary display.

January 24, 2005:

- Added several new switches from recent drivers.

If you spot any problems, please let me know.

January 25, 2005: Removed ExportOEMDefaults line that was overriding several settings.

As always, let me know if you see any problems.

January 28, 2005:

- Changed some switch settings to add a fairly nice boost to D3D speed.

Remember, even though the version number on the INF is 67.66, it works well with all 5x - 7x drivers. You just need to copy/paste the version line from the driver you plan to install.

• 2 weeks later...

67.66 is the best at the moment. 67.03 is slightly faster (very slightly), but 67.66 has some bug fixes that make the difference worthwhile.

67.66 is the best at the moment. 67.03 is slightly faster (very slightly), but 67.66 has some bug fixes that make the difference worthwhile.

so are they better than the new 77.### drivers then

Definitely! The 7x.xx and 71x.xx drivers are optimized for cards with 128 or more of RAM and run significantly slower on our Go 5200 machines. 67.66 is the best driver we've seen for the 5150/5160 in a long time.

Definitely! The 7x.xx and 71x.xx drivers are optimized for cards with 128 or more of RAM and run significantly slower on our Go 5200 machines. 67.66 is the best driver we've seen for the 5150/5160 in a long time.

i know this isnt driver related, but i noticed there were sum newer bios updates avaiable. im currently using the A35. i didnt upgrade before bcos i read that ppl were having fan related problems. wud u recommend that i upgrade to the new A38 bios?

I'm using A38 with no problems at all. It's great!

Guest Andz Ryan

hey playing nearly all my new games (world of warcraft, vampire bloodline, battle for middle earth etc) i keep getting huge frame rate drops, even on the lowest setting. will this inf file solve these problems as its a huge disadvantage in my games. thanx in advance

It depends on what the problem is. This inf will get you all the performance your Go5200 is capable of. Unfortunately, it sounds like your laptop may be overheating, which is a very common problem with the 5150 and 5160. It's also possible your CPU is throttling down.

Try three things:

1. Use a can of compressed air (or whatever you have available) to thoroughly clean out the cooling fins inside the vent on the rear panel.

2. Go into the Control Panel and open the "Power Options" applet. Choose the "Home/Office Desk" power scheme to keep your CPU running full-speed at all times.

3. Use this inf with driver version 67.66, which is the fastest and most bug-free of the current generation of drivers.

Between the three of them, your performance should improve.

Guest Andz Ryan

thanx for the speedy reply. i used a hair dryer to clean the fans but that did nuthing and i have recently bought a cooling station for my laptop (huge help i recoment this to anyone with over heating problems) ill try the power settings but other than that all i can do it hope i guess. or try and get an exchange from dell, my graphics card is obviously faulty

I don't think a hair dryer is strong enough to clean out the cooling fins. It takes a really strong blast.

A can of compressed air is cheap and has a tube that delivers a powerful blast exactly where you want it, between each fin. You'll be amazed at how much dust comes flying back out at you. Definitely worth the price.

Guest Andz ryan

where can i get that sort of thing from (bear in mind im from the uk) and will i have to take it apart to do that, wil it void the warentee if i do and how do i do that

thanx agen

An office products store should have them with keyboard/monitor cleaning produtcts etc

Electronic stores should definitly have them.

It's just compressed air in a can, get it with the long pointy stick for good aim.

Have a good blast around the fans and any ducts used for air flow, also the key board is a haven for dust as well.

Do be careful as you can blow off the blades of the fans if too much oomph is used (not common but can happen)

Pieter is right. And you don't need to take anything apart, so no warranty worries. Look on the rear panel of your machine... There's an air vent right next to your power cord connector. Inside, you'll see the cooling fins. Just blast between them with the compressed air and you should be good to go.