LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INF for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

thanx, worked awesome.

I guess the best ways to watch movies is do 800x600 and clone?

thanx again!

(now I just gotta sort out why my cpu is always full speed and only showing as one processor)

That is what I use, also nice when I run games, I usually run most new games like HL2, Doom3, FarCry, UT2004, ect at 800x600, which not only scales nicely on my 1600x1200 screen, but also looks nice on the TV, and so does video.

No matter what resolutions you select though, I think it switches the TV output resolution when you are watching movies anyway, (depends on the video) although I am not 100% sure.

You can also run dualview and have the movies play fullscreen on your TV as well, instead of selecting the second display in the fullscreen video properties, (its not there) select the option "auto-select," it should show movies on your TV the same way.

Hope this info is usefull.

Bill

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• Kamika007z

• Bill

• ®®®

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

April 1, 2005:

Improved video on external monitors. When VMR is disabled, the "Full Screen Video" page should now be available in both Clone and DualView modes.

As always, please let me know if anything doesn't work as it should.

Use nv4_disp.inf. 72.30 doesn't have the nvhwvid.dll that the other inf requires.

April 1, 2005:

Improved video on external monitors. When VMR is disabled, the "Full Screen Video" page should now be available in both Clone and DualView modes.

As always, please let me know if anything doesn't work as it should.

Hey,

Exactly what switches did you add for all this? I'm very curious.

Hi, John... The new switches are:

HKR,, PanelPowerWaitForSequencer, %REG_DWORD%, 1

...(hopefully solves some backlight problems some people have had)

HKR,, DeinterlaceMode, %REG_DWORD%, 0

...(Setting this to 1 kills the ability of PowerDVD, and probably other viewers, from entering Hardware Accelerated Mode.)

HKR,, MutuallyExDevs, %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,02,00,01,00,00,00

...(Prevents people from selecting incompatible pairs of devices in DualView)

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\nView",CloneToggleMode,%REG_DWORD%, 1

...Enables the Full Screen Video page in Clone Mode (VMR must be disabled).

These were all in the beta version I've had up for the past week or so and are stable on 5150/5160, but they're still new enough that I'm watching to see if anyone has trouble with them.

• 2 weeks later...

April 11, 2005

- Added two new screen resolutions for use when connected to widescreen external monitors.

If anyone spots any problems, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kevin

Well, Ive gone through this thread, and though I may have missed something, I still seem to be having problems as follows:

Bought a Dell 5150 about a year ago now, specs as follows:

P4-Mobile 2.8 GHz

512 MB Ram

64 MB GeForce Go5200

etc etc etc

Until a couple of weeks ago was running XP Home, but got a copy of Pro from a vendor (yay for free stuff) so wiped my HD and upgraded. Made sure to get all the latest drivers and such from the dell website ebforehand and have had no problem installing things and getting them to work fine. Unfortunately, now when I switch to dualview while watching movie from laptop to tv and close the lid, the tv signal stops, so I have to leave the lid open at all times, a bit of an inconvenience. Before I formatted, this wasn't a problem.

I tried to get the 67.66 and 71.84 driver sets from nvidia but when I try to instll them it says there is no detectable compatible hardware on my system. Am I missing something which will allow me to get these driver sets, and is there an easy way to prevent the signal from stopping when I close the lid?

Thanks

Kev

To install any drivers that don't come from dell you will need to either get/use a dell INF for that driver (only some come with them) or get a moddified INF from here.

Since you have an I5150, I recomend you use Larry's INF, which can be found on the first page in this thread, you download the driver you want from here, then replace the INF in it with Larry's INF, then install it through the device manager.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Dell has released the Quadro4 700 GoGL driver under M50 downloads version number 67.22 Here

Look at the problems this driver has:

NOTE: This driver is certified for Autodesk Inventor 10 only and not intended to be a general use driver update. If you are not using Autodesk Inventor 10, Dell recommends using the appropriate general-use driver.

Below are some system behaviors found in this driver that are different from previous M50 driver behavior:

TV-out signal is black-and-white when using composite (RCA) cable

Graphics corruption on notebook LCD when accessing NVidia control panel

Error while resuming when external display removed while system is in Standby/Hibernate

Changing video mode while DVD is playing results in loss of overlay

Driver reverts to clone mode after lid close standby event while docked

Win2K only:

AVI does not display full-screen after full-screen DOS switch

Overlay only displays on second monitor if Media Player is already open

So I guess it's really an nVidia issue regarding the black and white TV-Out. :)

:) That's an interesting catch. I will add it to the 67.22 topic.

Interesting find, indeed! Thanks! I guess that explains why changing to a different driver fixes the B&W problem, and several others on that list, most of the time!

Well done!

:)

Guest Kevin

Tried the new driver set with the new INF (Larry's) but still having the same problem.

Before I upgraded to XP Pro I had it set up so that when watching a movie or video file, I could close the lid and the video would still play. I have tried going through every setting I can imagine, and about 2 hours of googling, but still can't find the solution to allow me to do this again.

Has anyone got a quick easy (AKA I'll feel like a noob when i realize how easy it was) fix for this problem?

BTW This forum has been VERY useful for troubleshooting the problems and has really improed the performance of my machine.

Kevin

Before you upgraded to XP pro, what driver were you using?

You could try uninstalling your current driver and installing various older drivers with Dell INFs, maybe your laptop came with a 4x series driver?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...eleasetype=DRVR

That is the site with all of the official Dell drivers for your machine I believe.

Remember to uninstall your currrent driver before you install and older one like one of those 40s, you should start with an older one, then go up the list of newer ones.

Remember to use the device manger to install those, even though they come with an installer. Check your power settings too.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Edit: Try the below idea first.

Using Regedit, remove the following key from your registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\LidCloseSetPower

Reboot and see if it helps.

Guest Frantisek Suchy
Using Regedit, remove the following key from your registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\LidCloseSetPower

Reboot and see if it helps.

Let me consult with you my results in using the driver 67.66. At the first glance it seems to be completely OK, I would say excellent. But when I switch from administrator profile to another one, it behaves strange (I did not experienced this problem with an original driver 51.??). It always starts normally, but immediately changes into resolution 600x800 without any reason and I must always change it manually. I did not find any way how to force computer to keep wanted resolution (1050x1400). When I switch back to the admin profile, it is OK again. Could you please give a thought to this? I had the same problem trying 71.84. Thank you a lot

frantisek

Inspiron 5160, XP Pro, SP2

GeForce FX Go5200

64MB

Are you using my inf with those drivers (from the bottom of the first post in this thread)? If so, 1400x1050 should be the default resolution for all users.

If you've been using another inf, be sure to remove the following line from mine before you use it. Otherwise you'll have the same problem as before when closing your lid:

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\LidCloseSetPower"

If you're having this problem when using my inf, I suspect you (or at least your user profiles) are in DualView or Clone mode and the system is trying to stay compatible with your external TV. Go into the nvidia control panel and switch back to Single Display mode and you should be all set.

Guest Frantisek Suchy

Yes, thank for quick reply. I do have a feeling you are a visionary describing all of my symptoms...But seriusly. I have removed driver using Driver cleaner 3.3 and installed it again. (6766). At first I was happy it seemed to be OK, but after while the second profile again automaticaly switched to Clone. But it is not every time, it is strange, it is not stabile, dont know why. Concerning the lid - you were right and I got even more confused. When I close the lid, computer starts run, but the screen is black and I have to switch it off. I used your inf from the first page, which actually does have line you have mentioned in your message. Should I delete it and try instal it again? frank

Unfortunately, you have to decide between the lesser of two evils: Without that line the backlight will stay lit when you close your lid, which will shorten its life. The line enables your backlight to behave properly but, as you discovered, it also kills the signal to your external devices.

If you use your external TV a lot, I'd remove the line. If you only connect to it occasionally, I'd keep the line and just turn the laptop away from you to keep it from becoming annoying while you watch.

Guest Guest

I have removed the line in the registry and it wakes up now from standby correctly. But concerning the second issue, it always switch to clone regi,e 600x800 when switched to the user profile. I went through all the settings and there is nothing suspicios. There is the same default profile for both admin and user. It is of course not connected to any external device. frank

Two suggestions:

Don't install the driver in Administrator mode. Log on to your main User profile and install from there.

If that doesn't work, try driver version 71.89 and see if it behaves any differently. We are seeing some significant differences between drivers on issues like this one.

Guest Frantisek Suchy

So, to give you some feedback (maybe it is problem just with my computer, maybe people usually do not need to have two or more profiles on their notebooks and some of these shortcomings have not been observed until now just for this reason , I do not know.)

I have tried different ways of installing 67.66, 71.89 and 71.84 (admin or main profiles) with more or less the same effect. It usually works properly when it loads into the main profile and afterwards you switch to another one. In this case this keeps resolution setting on default 1400x1050. When you start computer with another user profile, it causes troubles and it must be set manually every time. Maybe this is good food for thought for future, but do not waste any more your time with this small not important problem - in most cases I can live with main profiast question

Just one last question ? I have started all this exercise not because I had had any troubles with the videodriver- not at all. I just wanted to make step forward, because last driver published on the DELL site did not allow me to save the alternative settings with TV or external monitor and I have had to do it every time again. If there was any driver from older versions not having these resolution problems and allowing me to do this I would be more than happy.

Finally let me thank you, I am impressed with your knowledge and your willingness to help. No doubts, there have been many laptop users happy with your help.

Thanks, for the kind words, Frank. We appreciate it!

I do have three user profiles on my 5150, which is pretty similar to your 5160, and they all seem to revert to 1400x1050 correctly. If you keep your TV connected to your laptop, try disconnecting it and see if it still behaves the same way. The laptop may be smart enough to detect the TV and switch into Clone mode automatically.

If it's not that, we may be running into a difference I wasn't aware of, perhaps in the BIOS.

You also might want to try 61.77 to see if it behaves any differently. 61.77 seems to be the most recent driver that works correctly for some people. We aren't sure why. Nor are we sure why it applies to some users and not others. It may be a configuration issue, or there may be hardware or BIOS differences we have yet to discover. At any rate, it might be worth a try.

May 3, 2005

- Re-enabled the Windows Desktop Manager.

If it doesn't work, please let me know.

Guest ChAzZ

thanx for the resource on the other topic. tried your driver, unfortunately still getting choppy video when graphics become intense (i.e. too much game motion) on my 5150 (NVIDIA 5200 64MB). tried with and without VMR, no dice.

:)

here's what else i tried:

-blowing out the fan (i use i8kfan to monitor the temperature)

-power options to laptop (ALWAYS ON)

-reducing video acceleration

-installing new drivers (67.66) instead of original microsoft drivers for NVIDIA

-upgrading BIOS from dell support website

-keeping low system resources (monitoring RAM)

-removing adware/spyware

-tried different resolutions

have:

3.06 GHz

512 RAM