LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INF for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

Cheezwiz, these days an uninstall of the nvidia driver in the Windows Control Panel, Add/Remove Apps usually does a pretty good job of cleaning up bad registry entries. If that doesn't work, you can find several driver cleaners over at Guru 3D. I've had good luck with Detonater RIP in the past.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• Kamika007z

• Bill

• ®®®

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

June 6, 2005 - incorporated new changes from nvidia.

As always, please let me know if you spot any problems.

June 12, 2005 - Incorporated several more new settings from nvidia and updated the available resolutions.

Caution: Currently, driver version 72.14 is the newest version with workable PowerMizer settings. Newer drivers install okay, but the PowerMizer panel lacks the slider that lets you adjust the settings. When you drop to battery mode, the nvidia clock slows to save power, then fails to speed up again when you plug the laptop back in. The only workaround is to reboot. I'm trying to solve this, but in the meantime, 72.14 is the newest driver I recommend for Inspiron 5150 and 5160 users.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest creative_ar

Hey,

I also have a dell inspiron 5150...

I was wondering which is the driver that you recommand for best performances and stability with your.inf file?

Thanks in advance

The fastest recent driver (not all that recent, unfortunately) is 67.66. It's an excellent driver that works well with everything I've tried. It's compatible with XP SP2 and DX9.

For a more up-to-date driver, try 72.14. (I'm using it as I type this.) It's not as fast, but it has some bug fixes, as well as the new hardware video driver that comes with the 7x.xx drivers.

Good luck with them!

June 29, 2005:

* Incorporated a few new settings from nvidia and tweaked the available resolutions a bit. If you are running the June 12 version, this isn't a significant upgrade. If you are running a version older than June 12, there probably are enough accumulated changes and fixes to make this a worthwhile download.

Caution: Currently, driver version 72.14 is the newest version with workable PowerMizer settings. Newer drivers install okay, but the PowerMizer panel lacks the slider that lets you adjust the settings. When you drop to battery mode, the nvidia clock slows to save power, then fails to speed up again when you plug the laptop back in. The only workaround is to reboot. I'm trying to solve this, but in the meantime, 72.14 is the newest driver I recommend for Inspiron 5150 and 5160 users.

Guru3d did not release 77.70, they just host them. They were leaked at Station-Drivers first (like most of the times). Here's a link to get more info about this release (we have it hosted too, like 150 other NV drivers, but repacked them properly to a smaller filesize). Sorry if it might sound rude or something but things should be cleared up a bit :)

I've tested them and, unfortunately, they have the same problems for us as the other 77.xx drivers: No PowerMizer sliders, and unexpected flipping into Clone Mode (for no reason at all). Image quality does seem good, so if you're willing to give up PowerMizer features, they might be worth a try, especially if you're running a game that requires them. They do install with no problems.

Unfortunatly, our FX Go5200 cards, never very fast to begin with, are falling farther and farther out of the mainstream. All the latest drivers really want at least 128MB of RAM, so benchmarks are now an exercise in frustration and I've stopped running them. As I mentioned to someone else, 66.76 was the last driver that ran reasonably fast for us. 72.14 is the most recent driver that runs without problems. It's the version I'm currently using.

What is this "unexpected flipping into clone mode" thing?

Check out this thread I made a while back, one of those tweaks fixed my clone mode not coming on issue, so maybe one of those can fix your issue.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....indpost&p=15253

Could you describe what is going on in detail?

Is it like my problem but clone mode automatically turns on at startup when its not supposed to?

I just stick all of those in the INF I use on my laptop to fix the clone mode problem I have, I know some are for allowing a second monitor as primary, and so on, but maybe one of those might be the key.

Hi, Bill...

It's a different problem. With the 77 drivers the resolution suddenly changes to 800x600 for no reason at all. At first I thought it was just a resolution problem, but then discovered the display had flipped into Clone Mode. Mostly it happens when booting or shutting down, but I've also had it happen when just checking out a website.

Very strange... and only with the 77.xx drivers.

Hmmm, I will see what happens on this end.

I am running the 77.72 driver on my desktop, but seeing as how I only one monitor pluged up, and the card only supports one monitor (although it has both DVI and VGA out), I have a feeling it is almost imposible for that to occur. (have a 64MB GF3)

When I get around to it (after I get my laptop fixed mainly, and when I have time), I will test some 77.xx drivers on my laptop with different INFs, like Pieter's reg mod inf, one with extra dell tweaks added, and if they come with one, a standard INF with laptop support.

Guest UltimaW
...the resolution suddenly changes to 800x600 for no reason at all....

I've never noticed this problem on my laptop, but on a friend's computer, the resolution would suddenly change when Java was opened and FSAA was turned on (any level). Not sure if that applies here though.

Guest Mr. Nice Guy

First, thanks for the useful information and downloads - very helpful so far!

I attempted to upgrade my 5150 with the 6766 drivers, using the modded inf - and I've now lost the ability to set dual monitors to use the external monitor as the primary.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

That solution is supposed to be included in my inf already. I'd better check and make sure I haven't messed it up somehow. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Yep... I'd messed it up. I'm uploading the fixed version in the next few minutes if you want to wait for it. Thanks again!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I trying to run Half Life 2 on my Inspirion 5160 xp sp2 geforce go fx 5200 256 ram 2.8 gig pentium 4 . I notice that the game barely runs with the drivers that a pre installed. I was wondering if there was another driver set and some tweaks i can run to make this game run at optimal performance? Ive tried to use driver 67.66 with ur inf file and my laptop still barely runs the game? Any advice on a better driver would be appreciated?

Let me get this straight, your laptop only has 256MB of RAM on you are using Windows XP, AND trying to run Half Life 2? :)

That is the first problem, second your graphics card is not very fast. (but we can remedy that :) )

billsnvdriverhost.dyndns.org......3danalyzer-v236.exe

Get that program, unzip it, then run it and select the HL2 or steam exe or whatever, and then try the settings on the pic I am about to attach, then create a batch file and use that as the shortcut to run the game from now on.

I would also suggest getting more RAM for your PC, go check out crucial here.

If your laptop has one 256MB stick, adding one 512MB stick in the other slot should improve your performance in HL2, and other games as well.

The tweaks I am about to tell you for that program should force the game to run in DX8 mode, which should run faster on your card. (it should still look good, trust me)

I have attached the pic with the settings, unzip the program to your program files and then run the exe, select the HL2 exe, check the boxes I have checked, then hit create batch file, and save that to your desktop, then close the program, and run the batch file. I also suggest that you check out this topic.

Pinned: How to get good performance in games....

post-10-11221707960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill

Bill is on the right track with his advice. You already have the fastest modern driver, and my inf enables every performance option except for overclocking (which you might want to try if you get really desperate). So adding more RAM and following Bill's advice is the next step.

Don't get your hopes up too high in any case. The Go5200 will never be a fast chip no matter what we do.

Thanks for the help guys im tryin to make a decision on whether i should get 512 or 1 gig of memory. Will it make a difference with a 1 gig ram?

Definitely go for the 1 gig if you can afford it. Much less swapping to disk on both games and RAM-intensive apps.

Hiya,

I love 67.66 with your inf, thanks!

I just have one problem. I always use custom colour settings, but it always resets back to the default after every reboot. I think when I used previous inf/drivers there was an tickbox option in the custom colour settings, it was something like 'Always load these settings automatically' or something like that? Anyway there doesn't seem to be any option to do that any more. Is there still a way to have the colours automatically loaded after reboot?

Thanks,

Leo

Thanks for the good words, Leo.

Nvidia did away with the checkbox but you can name your custom color settings to have them reapplied on startup. (I reduce my gamma to about .75 to more closely approximate the color balance of CRT monitors.)

Set everything the way you like it, then click the "Save As" button and give your new color profile a name. The currently selected profile will always load on startup until you select or create a different one.

Larry -- That's a FAQ if I ever heard one :) Good job.