LaptopVideo2Go Forums

What was your first Computer

mobilenvidia

Guest Drastik

my dad had this olivetti M24 running an 8086 processor and with a 20 meg hard drive. Eventually he had the hard drive upgraded and purchased a 40 meg upgrade. It was so big that it did not fit into the desktop case and was bolted on to the side it was the same height and a quater of the width of a old fashioned desktop case.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolcop06

• Michael Marley

• marftarf

• Andrew55

i got my first comp when i was about 9, my dad got it when his company did want it anymore and he won it in a raffle and had to pay £50 for it. this was in 2002 i think. it was a fujitsu cordant, specs:

pentium 2 350mhz (although it downclocked to 240mhz for some reason)

199mb ram (HUGE!)

4mb ati rage IIC

and it had a 40 gb harddrive.

i used to play counter strike 1.5 on it all the time, then i stopped going on it when i got counter strike condition zero which ran at a measly 1 frame per 2 seconds XD

now it doesnt work coz ive taken the graphics card off and im thinking of dunping it at a recycling place in bingley

not bad for a £50 comp lol :)

• 1 month later...

My first one i bought was

P3 450mhz

128mb ram

Riva TNT2 32mb

30gb HDD (i think)

Previous to this id used the family PC, BBC micro's 386/486/pentium 1.

My first PC was Pentium 1 60mHz that I got when I was 10. It had 40mb RAM, a Cirrus Logic craphics chip, a 1GB hard disk, and ran Windows 98. Quite a far cry from what I've got now, isn't it?

dang i dont know the exact specs... but it was an acer...

Pentium 2... i think 800mHz... 128mb of ram... some sort of ati rage card... 40gb hard drive... ran windows 98...

hahaha. i remember my dad trying to play everquest on that comp... omg... it played it... VERY BADLY hahaha

Edited by coolcop06

If it was 800mHz, it was probably a PIII

yea i just asked my dad and he said it was Pentium 3...

hahaha nice call

• 3 weeks later...

You know what the funny thing is? Ten years from now, looking back on this very thread, we will have this same laugh all over again. My philosophy: Technology moves swiftly and presents itself in a very matter-of-fact form. You either move along with it or get left behind.

You know what the funny thing is? Ten years from now, looking back on this very thread, we will have this same laugh all over again. My philosophy: Technology moves swiftly and presents itself in a very matter-of-fact form. You either move along with it or get left behind.

very very true. im sure we will all be laughing hysterically at our $2000-4000 laptops ten years from now, saying "how did we ever use those nasty things..."

hahaha

• 2 months later...

Mine is an AMD Athlon desktop. Here in my country, not all of us can afford a computer. So I waited mine until 2002. I still use it but not all the time anymore coz' I have my laptop.

:)

Edited by stickey01

1983 and on

zx zpectrum 48k

vic 20

and amstrad cpc 464 with colour tv converter :)

• 7 months later...

my first pc was a 386, mario ftw :)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

First:

A used and slightly stained IBM PS/1 Consultant (I think it was ganked from an office by somebody but I am not quite sure.)

- 486SX (25MHZ) Alas, no DX chip.

- A ridicules amount of 24MB of memory... in 6x 4MB increments.

- 500MB hard drive

- a soundblaster 16 with the CD-ROM attached to it.

After that I bought a new Pentium 133 in 1997. It had 16MB that I immediately maxed out to 128MB. I dumped a Sound Blaster 64 Gold, a 10BaseT network card and the best upgrade ever (to me), a 6MB 3dFX card. It was one of the weird 2d/3d hybrid models... I don't remember the name, but all of a sudden all my supported games looked freaking awesome.

Unfortunatlety I chose a Commodore 16 instead of the zx spectrum. Loved Daley Thompsons decathalon as well...

Edit: Played minefield on the zx81, as basic as you can get.

Edited by Sinth

• 1 month later...

My first Computer was in 1995. It was considered a 'gaming computer' back in the day. It had a 800mhz Intel Pentium 3 processor, an ATI Rage graphics card (8mb VRAM) and 96mb RAM. It is currently still working and works pretty well. It also had a 15GB hard drive which was pretty huge. It cost a fortune.

My first Computer was in 1995. It was considered a 'gaming computer' back in the day. It had a 800mhz Intel Pentium 3 processor, an ATI Rage graphics card (8mb VRAM) and 96mb RAM. It is currently still working and works pretty well. It also had a 15GB hard drive which was pretty huge. It cost a fortune.

Pentium 3s were only produced starting in 1999.

• 3 months later...

A Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k in about 1983. a joystick connected to a huge patch panel peripheral in the rear. My casette recorder to load games and a co ax to connect it to the telly.

10 PRINT "I WOZ ERE";

20 GOTO 10

First code I ever programmed. I'm a Telecomms and Network Engineer now..go figure. :)

• 2 months later...

I got my first computer (laptop) when i was 8, a deli windows xp

and i got the new mac at 11 years old :) I want Lion for my mac, but it isn't out yet, Arg

• 1 month later...

When I was a pimply 14 year old and should have been looking at girls (they came later(phew)) I ended up geeking over computers.

I had been playing around with the Apple I for a couple of years at school.

But after saving my pocket money for ages, I spashed out on a Commodore Pet (1980).

It was a 1977 model with the pokey keyboard and tapedrive build in and a black and while 10" screen stuck on top.

The thing weighed a ton, but I reckon to this day I had the best fun on this baby.

The Specs:

1Mhz 6502 Processor

24KB or ROM (Basic build in)

8KB or RAM (1KB used by system)

A 40x25 line display that could with special graphics characters make 160x100 lego sized pixels.

There were no programs for this machine, so I wrote my own.

I got to know Machine code backwards and even wrote my own Assember/disassembler in machine language.

Made my own games (including a Defender type game way before it became hip)

And worst of all, I used to write code to calculate the first so many thousand prime numbers for 'Byte' magazine to beat their Basic programs.

One day it stopped working, I hunted high and low for a circuit diagram, I found one finally, worked out the chip that packed a sad (fried it self).

Then bought a new one at the Electronics store, soldered it on (when this was possible), and it actually worked again.

I sold it 2 years later for a wee profit.

Since this I had countless computers and IBM clones, but that is another story.

Now how about yours.

Pieter.

Intel core13, DDR3 2GB RAM, 500GB hard disk, Samsung 18.5 LCD monitor.

• 6 months later...

Intel Pentium 2 and before was one more but i don't remember name tough :D

• 3 months later...

Macintosh Performa 450, aka LCIII or "Elsie 3" :)

lcIII_with_mon.jpg

These were the big beige Macs sold at Sears through the "family/consumer market" that were also shipped to K-12 schools. They were LC models rebranded as "Performa" with a few extra programs and tweaks to make them more "kid friendly" than even the ABC Mac "non-toasters" were for the average non-technical user already.

I'm currently on Windoze but I guess I've always been a Mac girl at heart :) I got the Performa for my 7th b'day, along with a trial subscription to Macworld and a copy of the first-ever edition of Macs for Dummies. (And when it came out, the "sequel," More Macs for Dummies. David Pogue was and still is my hero.) :D

RIP Steve Jobs, who put youth and kindergarten-style fun into the otherwise impersonal computer. Everything I need to know I learned from installing System 7.5.

Edited by a10239559