LaptopVideo2Go Forums

56.64, 56.72 breaks ICQ Pro 2003b Build 3916?

Almighty1

Hi guys,

On my system, ICQ Pro 2003b Build 3916 was working fine with all versions of drivers with Pieter's inf's since October 2003. However, 56.56 appears to be the latest one that works correctly. Here is a sequence of events...

On March 16, 2004 - I installed 56.64 with Pieter's v20.18 inf and ICQ starts up

but hangs on the Merging data portion of the ICQ login

process causing the CPU to hit 100% and there is no

way around the 100% even if one kills the icq.exe task

as it seems to have done something to explorer and the

only way is to shutdown/restart the machine. The

workaround is to run ICQ's Database Administrator to

fix the database for corruption which then would launch

ICQ correctly and then one needs to do the ICQ DB

Administrator each time one wants to start ICQ to prevent

the hanging.

On April 6, 2004 - I installed 56.72 mkII with Pieter's v20.26 mkII inf and ICQ

starts up but hangs on the Merging data portion of the ICQ

login process cauing the CPU to hit 100% and there is no

way around the 100% even if one kills the icq.exe task as

it seems to have done something to explorer and the only

way is to shutdown/restart the machine. Unlike 56.64

described above, the ICQ DB Administrator fix doesn't

seem to fix the problem at all as after the fix the database

for corruption, it will still hang on the Merging data portion of

the ICQ login process and cause the CPU to hit 100%.

With both 56.64 and 56.72, the process will hang at CPU 100% even after 8 hours when tested.

Today, on April 7, 2004 - I reinstalled 56.56 with Pieter's v20.17 Dell inf and ICQ

loads up correctly without needing the ICQ DB

Administrator fix. I also tried 56.64 and 56.72 again

and the same previous symptoms occur. Reinstalled

56.56 and all is well again.

Anyone knows what can be causing this?

ICQ Pro b.3916 + 56.72 works fine on my machine.

ICQ Pro b.3916 + 56.72 works fine on my machine.

Interesting... For some reason 56.64 and 56.72 breaks ICQ Pro 2003b Build 3916 on my machine. It's doing something to ICQ causing it to hang during merging data. Ofcourse, you have a Precision m60. I have a Inspiron 8200 which is the same as the Precision m50 so the platform is a bit different. Maybe it's 56.64 and 56.72 and the Quadro4Go 700GL?

The hardware shouldn't matter...try installing NET framework 1.1, seems to solve a lot of mysterious issues.

56.63 and up register certain files differently than previous drivers.

RegisterDLLs = nv.RegisterCPL
[nv.RegisterCPL]

11,,nvcpl.dll,1

11,,nvwdmcpl.dll,1

This is the only real difference between 56.56 and 56.64/56.72.

There are also some differences in the Dualview section (not used on Laptops)

It seems very strange that the Forceware drive would cause problems with Databases, does ICQ do any Graphics work while working on the Database ?

A very stange thing indeed.

Pieter.

Pieter, I notice nView is visible on 56.72 even when the TV-out is not connected.

On the previous (Dell) drivers I tried, when TV-out is not connected, there is no nView option; all there is is 'flat panel'. Does that change when I use TV-Out & "detect displays"?

Thx.

If you are talking about the nView that comes up in the display panel then yes I made a change to this a few months ago, I found a way to make the GPU think a device is attched (hence the nView panel is there) while it's not.

Evrything else should work as normal.

The other nView also got some adjustments

Recently I discovered some settings to add to the nView installer that installs it quietly and in the background.

So it should be there all the the time now, and I've added it to all my INFs.

So with the above we are ac couple of steps ahead of Desktops as I don't know that they all have it.

Almighty1, try INF v 20.30 (all drivers are now updated).

Pieter.

Thanks for the quick reply; I never use dual display/dual monitor, but I guess the visible nView tab in the control panel makes pre-configuring for TV output easier...

One more question Pieter - any difference for DVD playback between NVDVD 2.55 & the Forceware Multimedia App?

The hardware shouldn't matter...try installing NET framework 1.1, seems to solve a lot of mysterious issues.

Already have NET Framework 1.1 with the device update 2.0 and the hotfix installed.

56.63 and up register certain files differently than previous drivers.
RegisterDLLs = nv.RegisterCPL
[nv.RegisterCPL]11,,nvcpl.dll,1

11,,nvwdmcpl.dll,1

This is the only real difference between 56.56 and 56.64/56.72.

There are also some differences in the Dualview section (not used on Laptops)

It seems very strange that the Forceware drive would cause problems with Databases, does ICQ do any Graphics work while working on the Database ?

A very stange thing indeed.

Pieter.

No idea about the graphics portion but I wonder if the pop-up blocker built into newer drivers has anything to do with it even though I don't have it enabled. One weird thing is that 56.64 atleast had a workaround while 56.72, there was no way around it.

Previous, if it fails to login, reinstalling Microsoft Java Virtual Machine 5.0.3810 would fix it. The issue here seems to be wide that several people experienced except I don't know if they are all using Nvidia cards or not... See these threads:

http://web.icq.com/help/boards_view_messag...topic_id=473728

http://web.icq.com/help/boards_view_messag...topic_id=460092

ofelas, I don't know but it might have to do with how big the database for your UIN # is as well as the history as I've been using ICQ since 1997 with a 6 digit UIN. My C:\Program Files\ICQ\2003b directory which contains the database and history is 94.9MB in size.

Ofelas,

I'm not really the person to ask on those 2 subjects.

I don't like nVidia's DVD player and havn't touched the Multimedia Apps.

Almighty1 try disableing nView altogether and see what happens.

Pieter.

If you are talking about the nView that comes up in the display panel then yes I made a change to this a few months ago, I found a way to make the GPU think a device is attched (hence the nView panel is there) while it's not.

Evrything else should work as normal.

The other nView also got some adjustments

Recently I discovered some settings to add to the nView installer that installs it quietly and in the background.

So it should be there all the the time now, and I've added it to all my INFs.

So with the above we are ac couple of steps ahead of Desktops as I don't know that they all have it.

Almighty1, try INF v 20.30 (all drivers are now updated).

Pieter.

The nView that comes up in the display panel was actually something I asked you about on Dell's forums when I was asking how to connect my Plasma display to the Dell Inspiron 8200 to the GeForce4Go 440 64MB without rebooting... I also was trying to figure out how to get my Plasma display which is 1024x768 to scale the 1600x1200 cloned image downconverted to 1024x768 so it would fit the entire screen rather than 1024 out of 1600 and 768 out of 1200 which results in scrolling.

I just tried INF 20.30 with 56.72 and here is what happens...

With Dual View set to single, ICQ Pro loads up correctly...

With Dual View set to Cloned mode like how I have it for 56.64 and 56.56, it would have the same symptom as I mentioned in 56.64 except with your new 20.30 INF, it appears that ICQ DB Administrator does fix the problem as a workaround like 56.64. I don't think it's your INF's causing the problem but it's the ForceWare drivers in general as you can see from this thread at guru3d.com that people have weird lockups with 56.64 and 56.72 that they don't get with earlier versions...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=...1098#post701098

Ofelas,

I'm not really the person to ask on those 2 subjects.

I don't like nVidia's DVD player and havn't touched the Multimedia Apps.

Almighty1 try disableing nView altogether and see what happens.

Pieter.

How do I disable nView completely since I can only get it back to single mode?

Not that nView, I mean the right click on desktop then 'nview properties' nview.

On the 'Desktop Management' tab just disable it here.

I have found a sneaky way to enable it with out the hassle of the Wizard so it's always enabled when first installed.

But it could be this causing the problem, as it's in here you can enable pop-up banning. Off by default.

Pieter.

You may be onto something there.... Does disabling the Desktop Management nview also disable the dual display cloning? I'll give it a actual test later and report the results with your 20.32 inf as well.

Okay Pieter, seems like turning off the Nview Desktop Management does fix the problem. Was this only enabled on drivers newer than 56.56? I noticed that the Clone mode for nview doesn't stick when I reboot since it always changes back to single display now.

I have found a sneaky way to enable

Is it the "/silent" or "/quiet" thingy i saw in one inf from some OEM some weeks ago?