LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Inspiron 5160

LSudlow

Ack! It seems I'm now the proud owner of an obsolete laptop. Dell's U.S. site has just replace the Inspiron 5150 with the new 5160, which previously was only available in Europe.

The 5150 has had a good run. It first appeared (I believe) in July, 2003, which is an unusually long lifespan. The 5160 is barely changed from the 5150, which in turn was an evolutionary step up from the 5100, all of which means this is a very successful series for Dell.

One note of specific interest here is that ATI display cards are no longer available on the 5160 -- only nVidia and the XGI Volari XP5.

The nVidia cards use a higher internal ID number than the cards in the 5150. (xxxx.3 instead of xxxx.1) I assume the cards are compatible and wonder if the new version is faster than the version in the 5150. I may have to order one and try it.

Ah, well... life goes on. I suppose this means I'll now need to add support for the new card in my own customized inf as well.

You can always dig out the 9550 and get it fixed for old times sake.

The nVidia cards use a higher internal ID number than the cards in the 5150. (xxxx.3 instead of xxxx.1)

This is part of a much larger INF that has all the GPU's and combinations of machines (SUBSYS numebers), ie like the OEM INFs that came with 61.12

That means that there are at least verions of the 5200go (i5150/60 and another)

The i5150 is still current as the i5160 only really has a keyboard change and 15' screen ?

My GF2go is starting to look very old, I've had it for 2.5 years now.

I do plan to repair the 9550 one of these days. It's still a very usable laptop. I think we got them at almost the same time.

:)

I do plan to repair the 9550 one of these days. It's still a very usable laptop. I think we got them at almost the same time.

Larry there are replacement MB's on Ebay, there is no way of fixing the power on the laptop its self as it's too awkward to get to (I had a look)

But is it worth it to spend the money, I need a new MB as well to fix my problems.