LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Found workaround for 6x.xx hibernation problems.

Craig Corp

I've previously reported ( http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6030 ) that I could not get my computer to hibernate with any of the 6x.xx drivers. It also would not resume from standby unless I set MapOSD3ToNV to 2 instead of 3 (which had worked with previous driver versions).

In trying to troubleshoot this, I came across a post on this site that suggested using a shutdown testing called Sleeper utility to test the various sleep / hibernate / shutdown states. Interestingly enough, that program can get my computer to hibernate just fine. Yet hibernate from windows didn't work.

So, I figured there must be some other program that could get it to hibernate in a similar fasion. I tried several free shutdown utilities, and none of them worked except for a utility called Slawdog Smart Shutdown. My computer now hibernates without incident every time as long as I hibernate it using Smart Shutdown. Odd, huh. This program and Sleeper must be getting the computer to hibernate in a different fasion than the standard windows one.

Hey... whatever works!

Great detective work on your part!

:)

Write a mail to the author and ask him what makes it work! Give him a link to both of the threads in here you started and maybe he is like a nice developer who shares his expertise :) so all of us can contribute bla.

Craig Corp:

Where can I get this utility as wake up has never worked on any of my three Dell Inspiron 8200's.

unless I set MapOSD3ToNV to 2 instead of 3 (which had worked with previous driver versions).
Now i noticed this part of your post, and i can only say: YES, that's true and it confused me too. I even didn't noticed it, i thought it's me who is confused. Recently i installed 66.32 with the default INF of Pieter (so no changes i made) and the MapOSD3toNV value is 3 and it was 3 the whole time (on v52.16) without having any problems with standby. BUT in 66.32 there was a BlackScreen after return from Standby, so changed it to MapOSD3 = 2 and no problem anymore. Weird.

Though i have to admit that my Toshiba has no problem to hibernate, which is more weird.

MapOSD3 = 3 used to never work for me at all in the 40s and 50's.

But in the 55 series + , it works quite happily, go figure.

WOOOT? So the exact opposite?!

Almighty1, wakeup works on my laptop as of right now with the 66.31 driver with Pieter's mod inf. (version 30.31)

I had to change some stuff in the control panel though to get it to go into standby and stuff.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Craig Corp,

Thanks for the link... I'll try it out later...

Bill,

None of the drivers would wake up any of my Dell Inspiron 8200 machines at all and it's not even OS dependent as it doesn't work under FreeBSD either so it's probably something else that is causing it.

• 4 weeks later...

You already have checked the BIOS for PowerManagment settings, right?

Yep, it's not that because the issue happens in FreeBSD as well so it seems like it might be a hardware issue because one of the machines with the pre-load software has the same problem too.