LaptopVideo2Go Forums

61.77 vs 65.73 vs 66.81 vs DX9.0c

Guest Dustman

Guest Dustman

A small observation.

Being relatively lazy and unadventurous person, I tend to go with recommended driver version from a front page (I'm not very heavy into games anyway). Mostly use official Nvidia drivers, with modded INFs.

I noticed an interesting problem:

I was running 61.77 with SP1 on WinXP Home (4Go 440 64mb) flawlessly and DX 8.1 and 9.0a/b. Decided to upgrade to SP2 with DX9.0c. This completely screwed up DX Direct3D test. Instead of spinning cube I got fast flashing pictures (as if cube was spinning really really fast).

Same with latest 66.81 (which seems to be latest official driver from Nvidia) and DX9.0c .

However, 65.73 (Fujitsu WHQL driver) works perfectly. DX9.0c Direct3D shows a perfect spinning cube.

So, question is: am I alone and if not, is something happened with those INFs between versions?

Some info: using Dell 8200, with Nvidia 4 Go 440 64mb. Windows XP with SP2.

Thanks in advance.

Dustman

Which INF versions were used with that mentioned drivers?

(Just open them with Notepad and have a look at the first line)

Guest Dustman

61.77 - with 30.25 INF, 65.73 - with 30.32 INF, 66.81 - with 30.36 INF. All downloaded from front page.

I never used XP System Restore so much in my life, as yesterday. :) I normally have it disabled.

To rule out that the INF is not to blame (or to blame) try installing 65.73 with the INF from 66.81 (v30.35/6)

It will still install, as internally the INFs are the same, the main diferenence is the verion number is in each INF.

There arn't any huge changes from INF v30.25-30.36 mostly cosmetic.

If this works fine then INF is not the problem and driver is.

If this also doesn't work then INF is at fault.

Hope this helps.

Guest Dustman

Results are in. :)

Driver version 65.73 with INF from 66.81 (30.36) - DXDiag Direct3D doesn't work.

However, driver 66.81 with INF from 65.73 (30.32) - Direct3D test works perfectly.

So it seems, there's something wrong with INFs. Well, thanks to above jiggery-pokery, I'm now running latest Nvidia drivers. I haven't tested any games yet, so will come back.

I just compared INFs, 66.81 has a few more GPU's and ALIGART support (only needed for early ALI chipsets)

The uninstall part has lots more settings to remove (only used when uninstalling.

All the Settings/tweaks/files installed are identical, so it's very odd that it makes a difference.

I don't know what to recomend to try as the settings are the same.

Guest Dustman

No worries, mobilenvidia. :)

I'm just trying to find why GTA3/VC freezes and crashes, when I change resolution. It's either drivers or DX9.0c. And DX9.0c forced onto you as part of SP2 and SP2 in turn forced onto you as well. Also, 3DMark2001 is going slower and slower with each test.

I might just ditch the whole XP thing and use good old Win2000. I heven't decided yet. :P

Just a few more months to survive and then it's Sonoma time. Woohoo! :)