LaptopVideo2Go Forums

FX Go 5200 problem

Guest pb23r

Hello all...noob here on your excellent board so please be patient.

I have an i5150 with Go 5200 / 64 video board. I recently upgraded the driver via the Dell download site to 6.14.10.6610. Everything works except that in Win Media Player and Nero Showtime, the video image is dark...sort of greyed out. Is this a common problem with a simple solution?

I am generally not helpless with the computer but this issue beyond my modest knowledge. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

pb23r

ontario, canada

Both Windows Media Player and Nero Showtime use your FX Go5200's hardware overlay feature to display their images. The overlay feature has separate brightness/contrast/saturation settings, which can be found in the nVidia Control Panel.

Dell's drivers use nVidia's standard overlay settings of 90% Contrast and 114% Color Saturation, which, unfortunately, don't work well on the 5150 and 5160. The reduced contrast is responsible for what you're seeing. (Many of us have reported this problem to Dell.)

You can adjust the overlay settings yourself, in the nVidia Control Panel, or you can use my INF, found here, which defaults to 100% for all overlay settings.

Thank you for replying so quickly!

Okay...if we can clarify a few procedural things, i will be on my way (and sure to visit this site often since there is such a wealth of experience and expertise).

What is the best way to use your INF? Do i need to download/unzip the latest NV driver (any recommended version ??), copy in your INF, UNinstall the existing driver (version 6.14.10.6610) via control panel, reboot, and then go about updating the driver? Or can i use your INF with my older driver? If so, how would i do that?

Sorry again 'bout the noob questions. This is a great learning experience...

Thanks!

pb23r

ontario, canada

i would download nvidia drivers from here (which version is a difficult questions. i use 65.73 for my i5150, which seems for me the fastest..)

then unzip them in a directory, take lsudlows inf, copy to the directory and then simply install the driver.

dont forget to uninstall the old driver :)

i use his inf too, works great!

haaa, the first time i could help someone, im proud of me :)

Is there supposed to be an install or setup.exe or (after downloading the updated INF), is the upgrade done through My Computer / Properties / Hardware / Device Manager / uninstall the old and install the new. Do i need a reboot anywhere along the way?

Follow-up...successfully installed 65.73 per Fame's suggestion with the LSudlow INF.

Like a walk in the park...!!

Thanks to LSudlow and Fame for their help, great board. By the way, if anyone feels that a different version (65.XX or other) would a little better, pls advise!

Thanks again.

pb23r

ontario, canada

corrected Larry's name :)

I'm glad it's working. Feel free to experiment with newer drivers. I'm using 66.81 with no problems at all. It's an excellent driver and seems to be a good match for the 5150.

the 66.xx drivers are good too, I see no reason why you would not upgreade from 65.xx to 66.xx or the 7x.xx when some real good ones come out.