LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HOW TO & why Backup a mobile VideoBIOS

®®®

As we figured in almost or all cases for TOSHiBA Laptops it's not possible to dump/save/backup the BIOS and properly flash it back!!, my 5205-S703 is the living example. The VBIOS (~64KB) must be included in the system BIOS (~207KB) somehow.

For all others the most easy way to read out information and save your VideoBIOS would still be Ray Adams BIOS Editor (see attached .ZIP file)

DELL   : OK

TOSHiBA: doesn't work (included in the System BIOS)

SONY   : ???

MEDION : doesn't work (included in the System BIOS: for example MEDiON FID2100)

ACER   : ???

SAMSUNG: ???

When saving the VideoBIOS, a meaningful filename is important and should be used. Also it would be more than helpful if you also post a screenshot (Alt+PrtSc) of the VideoBIOS readout done with RayAdams X-BIOS-Editor (example: see attached picture) in the appropiate DEVICE_ID thread.

Alternatively there are other ways/tools to dump/readout/save the VideoBIOS and after that load it into X-BIOS-Editor for the screenshot, namely:

nvflash -b "good filename.rom"

dumpbios "good filename.bin" , then rename to .ROM

savebios "good filename.bin" , then rename to .ROM

aida32 | information | debug | VideoBios dump | "good filename.bin/bio" , then rename to .ROM

other_apps??.exe "good filename.bin/rom"

where "good filename" is something like "DEV_ID_BIOS VERSION_GPU_LAPTOP.rom" (as example i included my BIOS in the .ZIP package)

PAY ATTENTION to the filesize of the backupped BIOS file

it should be around ~64 KB.

Ray_Adams_X_BIOS_Editor_v1.0_RC3_build_520.zip

post-26-11065673101_thumb.gif

Edited by ®®®

We made this forum visible for all just for the sake of it, even if the HowTo and WHY isn't prepared/finished. Writing those texts is a pain for me. Bad at explanation stuff, but i give my best.

We still need to find the "formulierung" WHY

and

of course a good and correct HOW TO. Since without that nobody can upload their BIOS. We work on it, but could need some help here.

• 1 month later...
Guest ziddey

why? how about this for a good one: instead of having to mod the inf each time for those toshiba's with blackbar (like mine), why not up to a compatible bios? that's what i'm game for

• 3 weeks later...

It's updated, see first post and post some screenshots in the appropiate DEV_ID thread.

In response to modifying the BIOS. There are so many more variables involved. Particularly modifying a BIOS for the masses in which case NVIDIA themselves might interject. I'm sure they wouldn't care about personal modifications. In time perhaps the driver issue will be fixed so the modifying of the INF file at this point in time creates a less rocky road for many people.

--

Toshiba users must take note of the first line in Rene's first post.

Edited by Teraphy

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
As we figured in almost or all cases for TOSHiBA Laptops it's not possible to dump/save/backup the BIOS and properly flash it back!!, my 5205-S703 is the living example. The VBIOS (~64KB) must be included in the system BIOS (~207KB) somehow.

Extract your system BIOS, overlay another VBIOS image at the correct offset, reflash your system bios.

This is much easier said than done.

• 5 months later...

Useful Tips,Thanks ,i can dump my video bios now!