LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How to Reinstall 82801CA/CAM AC'97 AudioController

Kamika007z

Hi everyone,

Just letting everyone know that I found a way to reinstall the original sound card drivers in the Inspiron 8200, 2650, Latitude C840, Precision M50 (and others that have the same chipset) that were originally installed by Windows XP.

If you ever upgraded the drivers from Dell downloads and try uninstalling it, there's no way of gettting the older drivers back. What happens is that the file wdma_int.inf in the c:\windows\inf\ hidden directory is deleted upon upgrading the newer drivers. Here is the appropriate fix.

Here's the Dell|talk Forum thread:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...essage.id=20070

**Remember: Proceed with caution. Laptopvideo2go.com is not responsible for any damage caused to your windows installation**

Download the zip File below and extract the files into your C:\Windows\INF folder and let Windows redetect your sound card:

wdma_int.zip

John, as being not registered there, i can't read it. Can you copy & paste the important part here. I'm always interested in how to trick XP installation procedures :)

Sorry about that ®®®, the link should now take you to Dell's forum thread without the need to log-in :)

I basically wrote the same thing as stated above :)

:)

Ok thanks, after reading your DELL post i saw it's the same what is posted here.

Good job on that finding!

And btw i think i got the same Controller in my Laptop (which is currently send in to Toshiba due to SD-R6012 and the 2nd HD UDMA3/4+BadBlocks/DataCorruption issue).

I always used the original yamaha driver over HERE for my YMF753 codec.

And i was never in the situation to get rid of it. I can recommend it.

Thanks! I figured I should actually tackle that issue because everyone had been always wondering on how to revert to windows xp's standard drivers because the Dell drivers actually disable some options, but they were totally frustrated on trying to get the windows xp driver back. So after a few years.. lol here's the fix.

On another note; What's wrong with the 'ol DVD-RW and HDD? This drive would work with AC97 sound card?

Thanks!

John

Well the SD-R6012 has extreme media + burning issues like i can't burn anything right now and the HD issue i described here http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=930

I wrote a couple of detialed emails to TS support but nobody knows what it could be, and everybody is saying "send it in". I figure they will just change the Toshiba GAS 40GB HD with some new firmware and if the issue is still there they have a big problem. I mean data corruption isn't fun. Data corruption when attaching a second HD, come on!

I would send them another email, telling them that you've sent in your laptop and you've been having problems with both these drives and have them replace them. Give them any reference numbers that you may have so they can find your lappy, such as RMA numbers. Tell them you cannot waste anymore time on the hard drive becoming corrupt and trial and error isn't the answer. (I mean by them upgrading the drive's firmware, then sending it back).

Here's some sad news though: my girlfriend's roomate has a Toshiba laptop, and she's had so many problems, constantly sending them in to get repaired. Unfortunately, Toshiba does NOT have a replacement policy when it comes to exchanging the computer for another one.

Toshiba does NOT have a replacement policy when it comes to exchanging the computer for another one
Ja, sadly.

DELL is steps further concerning this. I was really postively surprised with Teraphy's story where they replaced and upgraded the whole mainboard :) .

What Toshiba laptop is making problems? Or is the girl making problems with the laptop :) ? There is a series (i think it was the Satellite AXX ones) which is really cheap manufactured.

Dell is a royal pain in the arse, but it still is better than Toshiba when it comes to support in that regard. I cannot understand a huge company like Toshiba does not have a replacement plan, very stupid if you ask me.

Anyway, about my girlfriend's roomie's laptop, it's a Satelite A35-S159. It's a very nice looking machine actually, and it's pretty fast. However, the computer has been randomly shutting off by itself recently. [JOKE]I looked in the BIOS, but I saw nothing about "Random Shut Offs"[/JOKE]. The ###### machine keeps overheating and the fans go on it like crazy. I've updated the BIOS, turned off/removed the battery application and let Windows XP handle power consumption/speedstep throttling and it still blows out hot air. The system gets really really hot in the back, and here's the clincer: THE FANS ARE ON THE BOTTOM BLOWING OUT. I put my hand under the system and I feel air is coming out. Now I'm not 100% that the fans *might* be put on backwards because the *authorized* Toshiba repair people said that the fans are right. So who knows. They've apparently changed almost all the parts on the computer and it still shuts off.

Now here's the weird thing: she hasn't altered any options in Windows but the system isn't shutting off anymore. However the fans do go on like crazy at times.. which does tell me that the system IS getting very hot.

John

she hasn't altered any options in Windows but the system isn't shutting off anymore.
I know, girls don't that :) , but what they do is they always click away almost all times hitting "yes" those popup windows that come once a times when surfing the internet :P

Also some (wasn't it the A65?) of these Laptops *must* have something wrong when manufactured, since they are so cheap (even if they loook "shiny") that it's almost imposssible that the people who build them must really prefer a coffee break before making sure the the fan is rotating in the right direction. Though the A55 series is really another category (with Centrino technology etc.)...

Next time let her come to the nViSiON board and get information about a buying decision :)

She actually knows quite a bit about computers. :) Also, she is the first girl I have seen that has 0 spyware on her computer. She keeps it running rather well.

Recently Toshiba had issued a statment about faulty ram on some of their notebooks, however it didn't affect her system...

not all girls :) i was prejudiced!

Yes you need to run a ToshibaMemoryModuleCheck application and it will determine if your RAM is bad. enough offtopic chat :)

Yes yes indeed :) Anywho, whoever trys this let us know how it goes...

John

• 6 months later...
Guest deadfreeman

Well, this diddnt fix the buzzing problem with my i2650, but im sure the intel drivers are much better than the dell drivers. More on that in this thread:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....l=inspiron+2650

Im still trying to figure out if using the infs here will make it any better. so far i tried the 67.03, and i got a screen artifiact after windows started, but diddnt affect anything else. im going to try the other, more official, infs from the 60s and 70s series.

other than that, ill reformat and use the newer intel chipset drivers and the most stable video i can find here (and this time install them right after a fresh reinstall).

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

What is the point of reverting back to the old drivers? How do they differ?

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
What is the point of reverting back to the old drivers? How do they differ?

Basically, the Crystal Audio codec has no recording capability. If you aren't inputting audio (ripping, recording, using mic), then it shouldn't matter.

You can check out detailed spec differences by following the link below. This is a great personal site for Inspiron 8200 users.

http://www.geocities.com/thebithead/I8200FAQ.htm#Audio

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I downloaded your file but there is no INF folder in my C:Windows. Anybody know why?

Hi everyone,

Just letting everyone know that I found a way to reinstall the original sound card drivers in the Inspiron 8200, 2650, Latitude C840, Precision M50 (and others that have the same chipset) that were originally installed by Windows XP.

If you ever upgraded the drivers from Dell downloads and try uninstalling it, there's no way of gettting the older drivers back. What happens is that the file wdma_int.inf in the c:\windows\inf\ hidden directory is deleted upon upgrading the newer drivers. Here is the appropriate fix.

Here's the Dell|talk Forum thread:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...essage.id=20070

**Remember: Proceed with caution. Laptopvideo2go.com is not responsible for any damage caused to your windows installation**

Download the zip File below and extract the files into your C:\Windows\INF folder and let Windows redetect your sound card:

• 2 months later...
Guest Jodie

Could someone tell me where to find the driver for:

How to Reinstall 82801CA/CAM AC'97 AudioController, XP: wdma_int.inf & wdma_int.PNF files

My search for the above gives me only information on a dell.

The link is bad for a general search

Thank you

jodie_@mail.com

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest Joshua Garrard

Hiya!

I just wanted to let you know that this is an awesome post!

My sister has a Dell Latitude C610, and since a re-installation of XP (SP3) has had exactly the same problem. I have run the gamut with the ftp site as well. I had all but given up when your post came up in google.

Downloaded the INF files attached to the post, extracted to WIN~\INF\, Uninstalled Crystal WDM in Device Manager, re-scanned for hardware changes, and the next thing I know I'm hearing the balloon sound notifying me the driver's been installed! No freeze or cursor latency! YAY!

Thanks, nice person who attached the INF files!

• 1 year later...