LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How To effective notebook cooling methods?

Kamika007z

Hi all,

Post your effective cooling methods here either it be for you CPU or your GPU.

I found a VERY effective cooling method for all Inspiron 8000, 8100, and 8200 notebooks:

Remove the power button cover by popping it off from the side. Now on the bottom of the power button cover there is a shaped metal piece held by two screws. Remove these and disregard those 3 pieces and put the cover back on. This allows for the back hole to stay open and not be covered by the metal part, causing it for much better ventillation. This open hole is also used for Latitude models that use the C/Dock II (I use this as well) so that it can lock into place when docking the system. Since then, I have noticed a significant boost in cooling. Try it out, if you don't like it, you can always put it back on.

John

Any other cooling tips out there?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Almighty1

• ofelas

• ®®®

• Kamika007z

Kamika007z, I can't beat your special modding skill, i just put a &25 LaptopCooler under my baby, causing temperature of Celsius 10 or something to drop :)

Especially when i play a game (yeah even me and I do it) i don't reach those >85 Celsius temperatures anymore. It made me scary :ph34r: I must have alook at hte manufacturer to post it here. I can really recommen it. :)

Hey dontknow that would be great if you can get a website where it's got some info on it! I've seen an antec brand pad that had fans in it for sale a while back at some computer store... I should've bought it, but it was over 50 bucks.

Thanks!

i remember having made a post a long time ago where i copy&pasted my reasearch results (links) of Laptop Coolers.

But i can't for the heck of it find the post with the search function. I will ever have problems using those ###### search function everywhere. It must be that i use the wrong words or what? I mean what is wrong typing in

+laptop +cooler +buy +link

or varied combination of that in the search form?

:)

I search like that on google with no problems...

I have one sat under my lappy...its some cheap one from e-bay, its powered by the usb port, and i heard that would cause a 10% increase in cpu so i thought that kinda of defeated the point of trying to keep it cool anyway, so i dont use it anymore.

I read in pc format mag, that this was good, and actually worked.

ANTEC NOTEBOOK COOLER SYSTEM INC 2 FANS (BLK&SIL) (M003340)

Product Summary

Quieter than a whisper, only 25.9 dB(A)

Low power consumption

No batteries or power adapter needed.

£19.95 ex vat : £23.44 inc vat

Can you run that one off of a USB hub and have it not use up CPU resources?

Can you run that one off of a USB hub and have it not use up CPU resources?
Mine has. ANd its a blessing not having another big AC Adapter lying around here!

Mine is a NoName product: Notebook Cooler Pad

specs:

AirFlow: 40cfm

Speed: 1900~2600 RPM (adjustable)

4 FANS (60x60x10mm)

Noise: <24dBA (it's silent i can say, more silent than compared to Gericom Laptop build-in ventilators

Dimension: 325x263x18mm

Power (max.) : 2W

Current: 0,4A

Voltage: DC 5V, 800mA (included is a Power Adapter PLUS a USB connection cable)

I always use the USB connection cable to get Power from one of my 3 USB ports for the cooler.

Made in China and has a red LED when "Power on".

Here are Links

Vantec's site (expensive , but stxylish) (scroll down), here's a review

A HeatPipe Cooling solution here's the review on OverClockedCafe (at this time down)

Why not just open the window and let some fresh air in ? :)

Guest Nerdtalker
Hey dontknow that would be great if you can get a website where it's got some info on it!  I've seen an antec brand pad that had fans in it for sale a while back at some computer store... I should've bought it, but it was over 50 bucks.

Thanks!

I have the antec one, it works really well.

I've done some comprehensive temperature testing. I'll post it if I get around to it. :)

Great! Thank you! :)

John

I'll share one more useful program for Toshiba laptops here.

The internal fan on Toshiba laptops is designed to cool the machine down when it gets hot. The fan is linked to a thermocouple and will automatically turn on to prevent the laptop over heating.

However on older laptops this is overseen by the BIOS and does not work under a 32bit operating system such as Linux. While it does work on recent laptops what might be fine for the laptop is often too hot for the user. The ability to turn the fan on and keep the laptop that little bit cooler is a relief for many a user.

With its "force fan" function it makes fan work all the time so that laptop does not get hot. BTW when the fan works all the time it works in more quiet mode than when it turns on automatically because of overheating.

You can read more about it here Fan Utility for Toshiba Laptops or download here

Regards,

Gennady Rakhvalov

I remember this small app needs to be registered or pay a small fee to use it, therefore i use Speedfan like i did at my KT133 desktop PC forever.

Speedfan though is not the non-plus-ultra solutiion, as it can only (if you havce luck aka your hardware monitor sensor is supported) turn the Fan on or off. And this is only possible if you turn off the TOshiba Power Saver app (a feature i forgot has to be disabled). You can test/turn on,off the fan through altering the percentage value from <49% (off) to >50% (on).

• 3 weeks later...

What I did was replace my Dell Inspiron 8200 fans with the ones for the Dell Inspiron 8000/8100 which has a higher wattage, 0.6W versus 0.3W and is BallBearing instead of the new Magnetic Leviation and also spins at 9500RPM and it seems to cool better. I also have a heatpipe cooler underneath my notebook that doesn't require any power or fans that I got from CompUSA similar to this:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/hetenoco.html

Almighty - do the cooling tubes sit under the laptop or do they contact the desk? thx.

ofelas,

the tubes don't touch the desk... the notebook sits on top of the metal plate and the tubes are directly under the plate. For all I know, it can be just the free space between the table and the plate that is allowing airflow. Although, the Nanotherm PCM+ I used is what dropped the temperatures. the original PCM+ gave me a idle of 65C, the new v2.0 PCM+ gives 49c idle and 65C load.

Cool; I'm trying to figure out if the system will work with a Dell D/Dock...

I guess the only way for me to find out is to try one...so this is what I got (looks similar to Almighty's link) -

http://www.mobileminds.com/mods/board_news...icle.php?id=192

Any further comments as reported by FanGUI with & without the cooler/stand?

Just wondering how effective it is as the notebook sits on rubber feet & not directly on the metal plate...

I picked it up for $14.00 including s-l-o-w shipping on EBay because the auction ended while most other people must've been sleeping :)

That's the real thing ofelas... The one I have looks the same but is in a CompUSA box.

I don't have the actual numbers with me but I posted them in the Dell forums when people talked about this... I think it only lowered about 2-3 C degrees or so.

Well, considering the stand is completely silent, 2-3 degrees C seems decent...

Got a link to that post you made on the Dell Forums?

Or, I could search by your Dell Forums username if I knew it...