LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How To effective notebook cooling methods?

Kamika007z

Don't really have the link handy but I'll let you know... Am a bit behind on forum reading outside of here, 2+ months to be exact... My Dell username should be vincepoy. 2-3C wasn't that big of a deal since the Nanotherm PCM+ v2 as a thermal compound did more than Nanotherm PCM+ v1 and Arctic Silver 3 did which both gave 65C idle and over 85C loaded that the processor was like acting like a turtle.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Almighty1

• ofelas

• ®®®

• Kamika007z

Just read that thread...after I sifted through the relevant stuff, I noticed how it turned into a pi$$ing contest for "AndrewWOT"... :)

I've bought the AKASA notebook cooler for about 30 ? (i think this about 35$ i dont know for sure) I'm very pleased with it!!

i lost about 10 ° (celcius) before i had it my GPU (the only temp i can see) was running at 60° Celcius at normal use (no movies or games or something) an when i was gaming it came at about 110° Celcius. But now it is 50° celcius at normal use and whem i'm gaming it is about 90° to 95° celcius!!

Also, i know something that also cools very good, on vacantion there was some marble at a piece of furniture and my temperatures were also very low (40°C after watching a DVD !!) (My PC was standing on et eh :-) )So if you could find some old marble it helps a lot!! bether than a laptop cooling

To be honest, I think as long as you allow air to get under the machine by using anything to lift it on the bottom four corners, the notebook will be cooler.

That name even rings a bell for me.

Including the Christmas bells? :)

Nerdtalker,

Wow, it actually created a Barney?

• 7 months later...

curious about something guys...

I have a i5150, any programs you know of that allow me to measure the GPU temp, i have the 8000/8100... one, but my board doesn't have a sensor for the GPU. Just wondering if anyone's heard of anything

Kyle

The 8100 as my Solo9550 didn't have sensors that were measurable by the CPU or GPU.

This didn't come in till the gf4go.

The only temp you can possilby (I can) measure is the MB temp.

Not much use reallyl, as I assume it's no where near the GPU.

yea so do i....i records the CPU and MB temps...but when i tell it to read the GPU, it says that either my bios version doesn't support it or that the MB does not support it...

Guest Camarade_Tux

Hi, I'm still 17 and one day, last year (or even earlier) I was bored.

I used an Inspiron 8200 that was really too hot.

I created something that is 2.5cm high in Knex (remember 17 year-old :) ).

Why in Knex ? Because it 1)is light 2)has many holes.

It's build like the Eiffel Tower : many holes but steady.

It costed me nothing and it works (without fan). I'll maybe post a photo :)

[yes, they stole my idea :P ]

Knex ?

knex-scaffolding-and-david-s.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hehe I just made myself a small pipe which draws cold air from outside (it's winter here) and bring it underneath my laptop and into the fan.

I need to take some pictures of it but it's basically a mix of plastic pepsi bottles, styrofoam cups, papertowel roll cores, toiletpaper roll cores and a lot of duct tape.

I know I'm crazy.

When it's summer I'm gonna do the same thing but I'll draw air from the air conditioner.

MEDION cooling sucks the most with a small fan to pull as little air as possible and with the biggest exit area so that air moves as slow as possible. MEDION needs an aerodynamicist like me. I'm telling you. This is the stupidest cooling I've ever seen. Half of the exit hole blows cool air. The other half blows air at 40degrees. :)

I will put up pictures soon

• 1 month later...

The hardcore.

I've got my Inspiron sitting on top of quaters. 4 columns consisting of 8 quaters Rolled together with Masking tape. $8 cooler, am I nuts?

Lowered the CPU temp 5-6 degrees Celcius, and if I'm so inclined I have a 80mm Evercool fan from an old Power Supply hooked into USB to blow across it. Lowers another 1-2 degrees. Big whoop.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard that many of those under- the - rig coolers could actually cause problems by conflicting with existing fans and causing them to be overstrained.

• 3 months later...
Mathematiker presents:

Project Arctic 1

arctic113lu.th.jpgarctic121ex.th.jpgarctic134op.th.jpgarctic141ud.th.jpg

Prolly the best cooling method at the moment. :)

• 2 months later...

If you have an Alienware m5500 or m7700 put a few pieces of cardboard or quarters under the rubber things on the bottom of the case to raise it up 3/4 of an inch...this alone knocked off 8C from my idle temps :)

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

• 4 weeks later...

Today I went to Best buy to buy a coolingpad for my laptop, and they had two types of coolingpads.

One that I bought(more expensive one) simply is a plastic board that I can put my laptop above it, and there's a space between my laptop and the board. So hot air beneath the laptop flows out and such which cools down my laptop.

The other one(cheaper one) had two fans with it, but it seemed thicker than the one I bought.

Do you guys think I should return this one and buy the one with fans?

I still say a nice big quiet 120 mm fan beats a plastic board any day of the week.

The thing I have is a piece of aluminum bent so the laptop rests at an angle propped up by plastic knobs (so that it isn't jsut resting on the metal) and it has 2 60mm fans powered by USB. Not sure of the company or anything really, but it only set me back like $25 and it works like a charm, even if I just have it unplugged. If I ever start up a game though I make sure to plug it in.

Honestly it wouldn't be all that hard to rig up a couple 5v fans to a platform and a USB cable and make one yourself though.

And actually I just looked... it's a company called Bytecc.

Edited by smax