LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HL2 bad result with Geforce FX5200/5600

remanence

The best driver so far for HL2 is 67.02, but don't expect a miracle. The 5200 is the slowest card in the FX line, and the mobile version is clocked even slower to reduce heat and extend battery life. The FX Go5600 is a nice step up, but only a step, not a leap.

If it makes you feel any better, the mobile ATI cards are also much slower than you might think, for exactly the same reason. They can't be clocked as fast as the desktop versions, primarily due to heat.

actually i got a few friends with 5200's and i gave them the driver off of here the 66.81 same one as i use and theybe been hitting 40-50 fps, if they can hit 80 with the sad clock they got the 5600/5650 will get a bit more

:)

o and there settings were i beleive 1024x768 and everything on expect AA

changed the driver number

Edited by ThE NiTz

That would be version 66.81. And yes, it's an excellent driver too.

hey LSudlow isnt there a heatmod u can do on ur card that can let u oc alot more i know theres one for the 8500/8600 series cause i did it but never heard of one for ur system. and does dell use those little purple pads on ur system too cause they do absolutly nothing.

Yes, the 5150 and 5160 use the small heat transfer pads, but you're right... they're almost no help at all. Both are very hot machines and can't take much overclocking, if any at all.

I've never tried one of the external cooling pads, but they might help.