LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v67.42 XP 32bit | DELL, NVIDIA

JRd1st

I know it's a stupid policy...for example, they will not allow me to use a Dell BlueTooth driver as it is not WHQL, but they have a deal with Microsoft for Tech Support, so they have to stick with whatever agreement they made.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ofelas

• ®®®

• mobilenvidia

• LSudlow

i see, interesting.

So i assume you never used a modified INF :) , have you ? :)

Bad boy...

It's good to know that you have a regurlay look at the DELL ftp or website for driver updates because i have stepped back massively from that task due to my 1GB traffic limit, :P , thanks. :(

Who, me? Modded INF? Of course a modified driver has NEVER been on my machine... :)

These files all on the Dell FTP server and released over the last 2 weeks are all 67.42.

R88792.exe

R88794.exe

R88801.exe

R88799.exe

R89380.exe

R89437.exe

Dell can obviously affort to wast 80MB of server space to host all these with only the minimal of changes.

Let's put these drivers (extracted) each in a folder put in the modded INFs in an extra folder, repack it to lets say 13 MB and send it to DELL :)

lol

Send to them.

Anyway this driver is similar to 67.20 and 67.50, it has the same graphics bugs, and is a similar speed, when I installed it, it ran at some low resolution for some reason, I'm to lazy to check the INF to figure out why....

usebestresolution should have been turned on if it wasn't Pieter (wink wink)

Anyway I am switching back to the 67.50 drivers...

OK, I'm back to 53.82....67.42 gives me massive performance loss on Dual display & Clone Mode for DVD viewing etc...

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE - after monitoring GPU clocks -

The 67.42 is WHQL'd, but still has lousy dual display performance. It also only speeds up Open GL by 7x (53.82 Open GL speed up is over 8x). Also, benchmarks aside, gameplay is not as smooth as 53.82.

The 67.42 & 61.76 drivers throttle the GPU down to 100/240 while on AC - kinda silly, as the GPU doesn't clock back up to 295/570 when needed. This causes my 3D apps & games to freeze & lag on occasion.

The 53.82 keeps the GPU at 295/570 on AC, and dynamically throttles down as needed to 200/400 & then 100/240 during inactivity; however, it clocks back up to 200/400 & 295/570 instantly when required. that's probably why the 53.82 has consistently high performance & smooth glitch free 3D operation.

I use SIMDIS at work, so that's why OpenGL speedup + a WHQL driver is important to me :)

https://simdis.nrl.navy.mil/info/SimdisRequ...nts.asp#windows

• 1 month later...

Can some help?

I am trying to the .inf to get the 67.42 drviers to install on my machine but when i either run the setup or try to update my driver nothing happens. The NVidia logo appears and then goes away.

I have a Dell Latitude D800 with the GEForce FX Go5650

Thanks

Bob - sounds like you have a corrupted download.

Try downloading the same driver file again, and go through the install process again.

Here's the 67.42 driver for your D800 + Go5650 -

ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/video/R88799.EXE

Keep us posted...

Now I'm confused... The 67.42 nv4_disp.dll I downloaded from this site is dated 10/25/2004, while the one from DELL (R88799) is dated 10/26/2004. Filesize is the same, though.

When I installed the 67.42 with Pieter's 30.41 .inf, I didn't get all the screen resolutions I wanted, e.g. 1152x864x32, which works best for playing Myst-URU on my I8600 WUXGA. I added those resolutions to the modes file, and installed the 67.42 using DELL's R88799 with setup program. I'm experiencing slower 3dMark03 performance now (2507 vs 2551 with the "nvision" 67.42), but will have to see if that behaviour persists.

Ofelas, I'm not sure that on AC the GPU is clocked down to 120/240. The 3dMark03 details screen lists clockspeed at 324/590, and while performance is not as good as with the 54.01 I used before, at 120/240 it should be much lower.

Scotch

Scotch - it clocks down after a minute or so; I use Everest 1.51 to check the clock speeds on the fly.

My INF should support that resolution, I can set it on my machine.

I added this way back in the early 40's drivers INFs

Drivers leave nVidia with OEM INFs and the nv4_disp.inf Dell or nVdia might have saved/made this INF a day later, hence the date difference.

Pieter, when I first installed the 67.42 with your 30.41 .inf, those extra resolutions didn't work. They used to work with the 54.01 which I had previously. May have been my mistake, I switched back and forth between several 67.42 installations, so I can't know for sure. I ended up adding those resolutions from your .inf to the NVDM.inf that came with the R88799 package from DELL (also removed all the settings for cards other than my FX Go5650), added them to the modes file as well (do I have to do that?), ripped out not needed language files with NVLite (seems to work even with the installshield packed files). I added the tweaks after the installation using NVTweak. So far, everything seems to work fine, but I'm still not sure if I like this driver. Btw, it showed up as an available driver update on the Windows update page. At least I think that was the 67.42, because it was dated 10/26/2004, but I never downloaded it from Windows update, and didn't check if it really was the 67.42.

Ofelas, I got the everest program, but I still couldn't reproduce this downclocking when on AC. Can you describe when and how exactly you observed it? Thanks a lot,

Scotch

Generally speaking, I would stay away from the Forceware updates on Windows Updates.

Pieter's INF files have always worked flawlessly for me, the folks here really do a great job to address & fix specific user issues.

The only reason I use Dell drivers is because I need WHQL signatures for work, and because I am forced to use OEM drivers at work.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with Dell drivers - even though they are sometimes outdated, they are fast & stable, they just don't have extra features that Pieter includes in his INFs.

Don't get me wrong, without this site, I'd still be using 45.81 drivers, and would have no idea about tweaks, additional pages etc. Actually, I am thinking about buying a new computer, but most laptops I like come with ATI graphics only. I would hate the idea to not be able to update drivers, change settings/ clockspeeds and so forth, so I'll hold off until I find something with Nvidia graphics. Btw., Nvidia should pay you guys a lot of money for your efforts. They could not get better marketing for their money anywhere.

However, I'm now wondering: If I install a driver with an unmodded .inf, and run NVTweak afterwards, do I get all the tweaks (except for added resolutions) that I would get using a modded .inf in the first place?

Scotch

You would have to force an install of a desktop GPU.

If you then run NVTWeak you'll get the HKLM tweaks (the ones that can be changed in the fly)

You will NOT get the HKR tweaks, you may experience lid closure/restore problems.

Also some of my special Overlay tweaks will not be there.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

I found the following bugs with this driver:

Myst-URU: Water not displayed properly. The water is there, you see e.g. ripples when stirred, but the surface appears completely transparent, i.e. not reflective. Also, gameplay is jerky, the avatar moves, then appears to move in slow-motion/ freezes for a split second, then moves quickly, then normal again. These effects persist even when all the eye-candy is turned off.

Hitman-Contracts: Horizontal and vertical lines show strong sawtooth effect. Tried to override application-controlled Anti-aliasing with nHancer, but no workee.

Scotch

• 2 months later...
Guest woodtiger

Ok I seem to be having a problem with my dual display with my 4200 go card. The secondary display (tv out) is showing up in black and white. Is there a away to fix this?

I am running a Dell Latitude D800 with Windows XP Pro SP2.

Try a different driver, after you try different TV settings (NTSC and s-video/composite), and after making sure your cable is plugged in good, especially if it is an S-Video cable.

I would suggest the 67.50 driver, or a higher 67 driver, or try some 7x series drivers, like 71.89.

Some Dells and other PCs just have TV out problems that are not fixable with certain drivers, so you just have to keep trying drivers until you find one that works. (some drivers have B&W only, others have TV out that is too big or too small)

woodtiger - on a D800 + 4200Go I had, the Dell 67.42 driver had dual display problems for me in clone mode, but worked fine in when I output video on the TV without simultaneous display on the laptop LCD.

The only correctly working Dell driver I found was version A03 of the 45.28 available here - ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/video/R61658.EXE

However, the modded 56.72 driver available on this site was my favorite driver for the 4200Go - fast & stable.

Keep us posted.