LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Blank screen problem using drivers after 61.77.

Guest Gareth B

Guest Gareth B

Hey All,

I've been having a few problems with the drivers off this site recently. I have been able to use any drivers off this site perfectly with the last driver version I could use properly being the 61.77's. Now recently any other driver version I have tried to use (66.81, 67.02, 67.50, 70.41) I have had problems with.

With these drivers I have had random problems with Windows booting up then after a second or so of showing the desktop, the screen goes off and I have to turn the laptop off and either reboot and hope the screen stays on (sometimes it will stay on and I can use windows but mostly the screen goes off) or go into safe mode and change them.

I feel this is something to do with resoultion changes as when I do have the screen working, if I try start a game up, when the resolution changes it will do the same thing and I have to turn off. This also happens when I try goto display properties and when the screen would normaly flick off for a second then back on, it just stays off. This is quite frustating as I have only managed to play a game(Half-Life 2) once or twice with some of these drivers.

I would like to be able to use the 67.02 drivers especially as I get the best performance in Half-Life 2 out of these drivers, and also if there is a fix, I would like to be able to use future drivers.

As I say, I have had no problems with the 61.77 or earlier drivers, only up until trying the above drivers.

Here's a few bits of info that might be helpful:

Notebook Model: Sony VAIO GRT715M

Graphics Card: GeForce FX Go5600 64mb (031a)

Last working drivers : 61.77

Operating System : Win XP with SP1

Latest AGP driver off SIS

Latest Sound Drivers

If anyone can help I appreciate it,

Thanks

Gareth B.

Gareth, try using all three versions (standard, performance, and "no tweaks") of the inf and see if any of them work. That might tell us something.

And you're right; it does sound like a mode change problem. Maybe the default resolution or refresh rate isn't fully compatible with your Sony. If so, we should be able to solve it.

maybe offtopic Gareth, but i need your resolution, subsys_id and your system Bios version

Guest Gareth B

Yeah No problem,

My resolution is 1024x768 with 60hz Refresh Rate, that resoultion being the screens native res and 60hz is the only refresh rate this screen supports.

System BIOS Version is According to DxDiag - "Phoenix FirstBIOS Notebook Pro Version 2.0" and according to this Sony Notebook Setup program that came with the system the version is R0043F0/RK043F0.

I'm not sure exactly which information you mean when you asked for the subsys_id dontknow, but in RivaTuner under graphics subsystem diagnostics report I found this:

"Northbridge information

---------------------------------------------------

Description : unknown

Vendor ID : 1039 (SiS)

Device ID : 0648"

I tried the Standard INF and Performance INF, but both with the same problem.

Cheers,

Gareth.

I'm not sure exactly which information you mean when you asked for the subsys_id dontknow, but in RivaTuner under graphics subsystem diagnostics report I found this:

"Northbridge information

---------------------------------------------------

Description    : unknown

Vendor ID      : 1039 (SiS)

Device ID      : 0648"

Pls also have a look here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=756

and post what it says in the registry.

Also pls. use the devcon.exe attached in the link above for determining the subsys id (double check)

sorry for all that.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ditschi

Using the driver 67.50 solves the problem for me. This is the only driver that has not the blank-screen bug for me. All other above 61.77 ends with Blank-Screen and the notebook hanging. :)

Btw. the 67.50 is much faster in hl² as 61.77 !!!

PS. sorry for bad english :)

Quoting Gareth B.

any other driver version I have tried to use (66.81, 67.02, 67.50, 70.41) I have had problems with.

So why is it that 67.50 gives no problem for you ,m but Garteh still has problems? Is it a hardware defect?

Ditschi could you pls. compare the settings (software DeviceSettings) from non working 61.77 and 67.50 for your Device ID or SUBSYSID

Guest Ditschi

ok. SUBSYSID: 814F104D same like gareths. I compared the INFs from the working 67.50 and non-working 67.03. (PIETER's INF)

There are no differences. The settings SoftwareDeviceSettings, n4_mobile etc. are exactly the same.

It must be a bug in the driver. Cause I wrote my own INF for 67.03 where I only added my Device-ID etc. It didn't work.

With 61.77 and 67.50 it works fine, so i don't think it's a hardware defect.

Maybe Gareth hasn't really tried the 67.50. :)

That's indeed very interesting and shows that often the driver itself is the issue and not Pieter's INF. Thanks Ditschi :)

Now we need a place to put that INfo, that SONY recommended driver is 67.50

Distschi can you add your subsuys to the profile member field/./

• 2 months later...

Hello

Sorry for warming up this old thread, but i have the exact same problem as the threadstarter and 67.50-driver does NOT work. That really sucks, because the newest ( :) ) driver from Sony is v46.90...

I just want to know if there are any big differences between 56.72 an 61.77, because the older driver works (but its slow) and the newer driver freezes the system.

Sys specs:

Sony Vaio GRT816M

Intel P4 2.8 GHz

512 MB RAM

GeForce FX 5600 Go w/ 64MB VRAM

WinXP Pro w/ SP2

Newest Chipset and Audio-Driver

Newest Mainboard-BIOS

thanks in advance, ace

Guest Bodek

Hi,

same problem here - looks like it is somehow related to nero 6.x (i had it before, could not isolate it , then reimaged my system with no nero, only basic drivers, started installing...all ok...then nero 6.6.0.8a...and...there we go! after deinstallation of nero I am working again...but somehow unhappy...)

in the beginning it also was working fine with 61.77, but then silly me - started playing around :-)

now i have 71.90 (problem exists) - no performance patches...whatsoever.

sony grt-816m/gforce go 5600/64mb/P4-2.8/1gb ram

windows xp sp2 + newest drivers

lower level apps - nis2005, vmware gsx3.1... and nero(no more at the moment)

can sbd make any sense out of it? maybe sbd heard anything?

i could not find anything yet...

greetz,

b.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gareth B

Just abit of an update. I took a newer driver, 67.66 I think (which wouldnt work for me) and replaced the files : nvappbar.exe, nvwiz.exe, nview.dll, nvmctray.dll, nvcpl.dll, nvnt4cpl.dll with the same files from the 61.77 drivers as a test about a theory I had.

It turns out I can get the drivers to work, no problems, games play fine, can switch resolutions etc... by replacing these files - apart from the fact the control panel wont open for me to change settings (its do-able via rivatuner or similar) - it tells me something about driver version mismatch.

Now I don't know which it is, but I had an feeling one of these files (related to the control panel and nView) was the problem.

Does anybody have any idea how us Vaio users can fix the problem apparent in those driver files so we can use the drivers properly?

Gareth B.

• 3 weeks later...

Another bump/update post. I have tried all of the available drivers, with the exception of the 75.xx and up. Nothing seems to work. I have also tried the aforementioned nero 6.x removal idea and still no luck. Anyone have any other ideas? I asked this question on the "71.84" thread and have gotten no response.

Also, as a question to Gareth, do you seem to have any improvement using the newer driver with the older 61.77 files? Are the files you are replacing core driver files or are they the nwiz/panel files only?

Thanks.

What have Sony done to their machines to cause this :)

Why can't they leave things alone and use standard parts, there will probably put in some odd ball part in their machine that stopped working after a certain driver.

It would be good to narrow it down to a sngle file that is causing it, may mean lots of testing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce4 440 Go and 71.84 drivers and am having the exact same problem. I'm not running Half-Life, but when I play Rise of Nations (which "requests" a resolution change at startup) the graphics display improperly with random "blank" patches and strange purple lines. Similarly, every 40 minutes or so (regardless of whether I am running a game or not) the entire screen goes black and then comes back on, but with some display errors, typically black/blank patches or mis-drawn menus and the like. And about once a week the computer just hangs, and eventually switches to lowest resolution and 4 color mode and gives me a dialog box that the video driver has failed.

My computer was running fine until 3 weeks ago when the screen totally quit and Dell replaced my LCD, motherboard, and video card. I had not updated any nVidia drivers since getting the computer out of the box in 8/02. I just updated to 71.84 hoping to solve the issue with no luck. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, but I managed to run the d.i.r.t. tool on this site and have tried to attach the text file it created to this post (assuming that info will be asked for by anyone willing to help me out). Thanks in advance for any help.

cinc

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

Have you tried doing a fresh re-install of the drivers?

You could try the driver and INF in my sig, I know that works well. (71.84 worked good for me too, except the TV out was messed up)

I suggest you uninstall what ever drivers you have before installing any other drivers, (maybe use a driver cleaner) and is your laptop overheating?

Try monitoring your temps with this program, it is simply amazing.

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

Also, I see you have a 40 GB HDD, it might be time to upgrade that thing to a 60 GB 7,200 RPM drive or the 100 GB one when it becomes available.

Ok I'll give that a try. Is there a driver cleaner you like, or prefer? Also would increasing the amount of availble HD space (by deleting old games, music, etc) help? Would defrag-ing the HD help? Thanks again.

cinc

About the driver cleaners, I have never actually used one, so I can't reccomend a good one. :)

As far as deleting stuff to make it run faster, how much free space do you have?

It should not matter too much unless you HDD is almost completely full.

Defraging should help, especially if you use a good defrager, as in not the one that comes with windows.

This one is good, but you have to pay for it.

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

There is free trial for this thing as well.

Bill

Ok, I downloaded and used Driver Cleaner Pro (including the Cab cleaner function). I then installed the driver and .inf from your sig and have had no luck. When I run the game it still displays improperly with odd purple lines and a lot of lagging and hanging. It actually seems slightly worse than 71.84. Should I try some earlier drivers, like those mentioned by the Sony users earlier in the thread.

I have about 3 gigs free on my HD. I am running the fan program you suggested and temp stays between 50 and 60c. That's normal right? Should I use the program to adjust my fan performance?

Could this problem be at all related to my nVidia BIOS? According to the readout I attached in my first post, my version is 3 years old. Thanks for all the help so far, I appreciate the prompt responses (even though a solution is still eluding me).

cinc

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gareth B
Another bump/update post. I have tried all of the available drivers, with the exception of the 75.xx and up. Nothing seems to work. I have also tried the aforementioned nero 6.x removal idea and still no luck. Anyone have any other ideas? I asked this question on the "71.84" thread and have gotten no response.

Also, as a question to Gareth, do you seem to have any improvement using the newer driver with the older 61.77 files? Are the files you are replacing core driver files or are they the nwiz/panel files only?

Thanks.

I get improvement by it not making the screen go blank and making the machine freeze :)

But other than that I've not seen any performance improvement (or loss for that matter). It's only files for the control panel and nview that I was changing - so you get a problem with not being able to use the control panel.

I've been pretty busy recently so havn't played any games for a while so couldn't do anything else to test it out. I'm gonna give one of the newer drivers a try and see if it still works, probably have to use the 61.77 files again though.

I think I'll try replacing only one file at a time and see if I can find if its a single file causing the problem.

Great, let us know what results you get :)

Have you guys that had bad luck with the 71.84 driver tried the 71.89 driver?

It came out soon after I recomended the 71.84 driver. (both are official NV releases)

Since it is official and WHQL certified (for select cards) it can't hurt to try it.

OK, i tried v71.89 but it has still the same problem, screen goes off and the laptop stops working. Its like the whole graphics card is removed :)

I think I'll try replacing only one file at a time and see if I can find if its a single file causing the problem.

Please do that, it will help a lot!