LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Half life 2 question...

Guest Austiban

Guest Austiban

I was just wondering how the go5600 runs halflife2 I've read that it doesn't scale to lower resolutions as well as Doom3 did. Doom3 ran pretty well at 640x480 and still looked great, but I don't want to run Half Life 2 at that resolution if it looks like crap.

What is your screen's native res?

Like mine is 1600x1200 I will probably run the game (if I get it) at 800x600, it should not look to bad if its scaled down a bit.

Guest Austiban

My laptop has a maximum resolution of 1440x900. I have 1 gig Ram, and 128 mb vid Ram.

I was able to get DOOM running at 25-45 fps at 800x600(except heavy fighting then probably 20fps).

do you guys really care about those couple of FPSes in HL or Doom? Laptop is a bit different kind of computer to discuss dosens of frames per seconds. IMHO the person who wants to get the top of these _nobody_cares_ numbers should buy a desktop computer, not a laptop one. :)

What i assume is, that when people report too low framerates in certain games on certain high end laptops (>FX Go5xxx and CPU >2,6 GHZ) they don't HONOR their Laptop specifications. It's POSSIBLE to play HL2 smooth with all these cards. I saw it with my own eyes using a Geforce 3(!) TI500 64BM, which is a DX8 card. What people must be aware of is, that they can't have enable all AA, Anisotropic Filtering, Shadows and Lightning etc effects. You can't have everything. There must be an Image Quality sacrifice. And you should not play these games with 1600x1200x32, but 1024x768x32 and if that isn't smooth enough try the 16bit variant.

• 2 weeks later...

with the 67.02 drivers and the perfomance inf i can run half life 2 with an average frame rate of about 40 fps (min 25 fps , max 100+ fps !!!)at 1024 x 768 with all graphic option on AA 2x and anisotropic 2x.

I have an acer Aspire 1703 sm with a geforce fx go5600.

the only problem that i have with my laptop is described in the threadhttp://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6477

when i have that problem my fps drops to 10 :) ((

Sorry but for me it's definitively a driver problem.

On a Toshiba Satellite p10-554 (PIV 2.8 - 512Mb - Go5600 - 64Mb - HD 7200rpm), i'm playing HL2 at 640x480 with all settings low and got an average of 10 fps !!!

The ONLY driver that allows me to play HL2 correctly is the official 56.77. With this driver at 1280x800 and all settings high, i got an average of 20fps !!!

A friend have exactly the same Problem and in this forum many of us have it too.

Something in the newer driver seems to be incompatible with some laptops. See my posts for more details.

Patrick Colis

utilise les drivers modifier 67.02 et rajoute 512Mo de ram car moi je tourne avec un toshiba M30 Go5200 en 1024X768 tout les détails en élevée sauf le détail de l'image en faible et en X2 pour l'anti-crenélage et le mode filtrage !

Je voudrais bien utilser d'autres drivers mais c'est tout simplement impossible.

Il semblerait que certain portable (je ne suis pas le seul) avec un go5600 ne veulent simplement pas faire tourner de facon convenable les drivers 6x.xx et 7x.xx.

Ce n'est pas un pb de ram. Avec 3DMark par exemple, je passe de 2350 avec les 56.77 à 400 avec les 67.02 par exemple.

Si ca t'interesse, on a ouvert un topic concernant ce problème ici :

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6515

Patrick

Guest Cpt.Schmock

Jungs, ich weiss ja nicht, ob ihr es schon wusstet, aber hier schreibt man Englisch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for those, who don't understand French or German:

I don't know, if you'd already known it, but here everyone writes in English.

Wollte ihm nur eine direkte Antwort schreiben.

Sorry, should have been a direct answer.

Patrick

:) freshing up my french skills (skills?)

Finished HL2 yesterday. Used 1024x768 with 8x AF and no AA. Sometimes changes the settings to 4xAF and 2xAF. No Problems with fps. I was gaming with 20-70 fps. The game is really quiet good. On of the best I´ve ever played.

I´m using the 67.02 driver.

HL2 runs fine on my laptop also.

2.6Ghz, 512MB DDR333, FX5300 64MB.

1024x768, max everything except the shader detail. No AA/AF. 50fps on the CS: Source benchmark. 6681 Drivers.

Note that my 5300 is overclocked. 275/500 to 300/600.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I just beat HL2 on my laptop a few days ago, I can tell you guys it certainly runs just fine at lower resolutions.

I ran it at 800x600 with no AA or AF and it still looked nice.

There were really not very many jaggies.

I notice more when I play UT2004 at the same res.

Let me bump this one up , got a Satellite 1410 with Geforce GO 420 16MB , was able to play many new games quite well but half life loads opening screen and after the games starts it freeze .

Driver version : 2.8.4.6

Any chance playing that game in dx 7 mode ? Should I even try and mess with the driver ?

Thanks Gil

You have a 16 MB graphics card?

That is a big nono in my book lol. :)

Since half life 2 does not say that you need a card with more ram, you can try playing it at really low settings, but don't count on it working.

Also, why are you using drivers that old?

I would suggest trying the 71.24 driver with Pieter's regular modified INF.

You are talking about HL2 right? Not HL1....

Hope this information helps.

Bill