LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Laptop w/ FX Go5600 woes

ephewe

Hey I have a question that maybe you experts can answer. I'm relatively new to the laptop world (I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT360Z with an FX Go5600 64 MB), so I am uninformed in some cases. I play Final Fantasy XI (FFXI) and the performance on this laptop is horrible. It seems with all drivers after the 55 series (I have tried just about all drivers from 45-70), there is an especially annoying graphical glitch where 3d models partially disappear. Check the picture below. You will notice the wolf's leg and nose are missing. Very strange. Wondering if maybe this is a known issue and/or maybe there is a setting I had not yet tried toggling? Also, I USED to play Unreal Tournament (the first one) ALL the time... My laptop ran the game just fine when I first got it, but now about every 2 seconds, the movement on the screen goes into what can only be described as "slow motion". The game is unplayable like this. I have tried formatting and retracing my updates and what not, even after a fresh format with all the default settings/drivers, the game still performs this way... Is it possible that my hardware could have changed in some way to cause this? Any input anyone may have would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.

post-7-11030207840_thumb.jpg

Anyone reading this you will probably laugh at my stupidity... But I just resolved ALL of my performance issues... and it was SO simple I feel I deserve to be beaten soundly. As I said in my previous post, I'm new to laptops... I've had mine for about 3-4 months now. I have never once cleaned it. I was checking Sony's website for an answer to an unrelated question and I stumbled on directions for cleaning the CPU heat sink & fan. I opened the slot in the case and seriously, there was enough solid filth to full a shotglass. After cleaning this out piece by piece and giving it a good blast of canned air, my games now run flawlessly at medium to high resolutions and the problem with UT also no longer occurs (so far). This will not fix the graphical glitch I mentioned with FFXI, but it's a WONDERFUL start. Hopefully some newbie can read this and learn something as I did.

That is some nice info, I will link to this thread in my up and coming sticky topic to show people that it really is worthwhile to clean the dust out of your laptop.

As far as the graphics bugs go, the only thing I can recomend is trying more drivers, I think all of the later ones (66-57) will have this issue for you sadly. (I have similar graphics bugs on my laptop)

Have you tried the 65.73 driver?

That might fix them, otherwise I am not sure what else to tell you right now.

Bill

Right now I am using driver 56.72 (original, not modified) and it's working good. Oh and by the way... to further illustrate the difference after cleaning the laptop... I ran a 2500 on FFXIBench3 and after cleaning I ran 4000. I'm f'ing overjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it pays to run a good clean ship.