LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best Drivers for FX go5700 ??

Xis

Hi.

I have been testing many of your drivers, but i haven't found one that really meets the performance i hope from my machine!

I have an Acer Aspire 1714 (P4 3,4Ghz; 1GB RAM; GeForce FX Go5700) and i can't get out from games the FPS this machine can get!

I'm using WinXP Pro, SP2, directx 9.0c and i've tryed many display drivers (the original ones: 53.51, 61.77, 6.81 and the latest 71.20). I tryed them in performance and quality settings, with overclock (410/710) and no overclock, no AA, no AF, no Vsync, but the results are very disapointing. An avarage of 550/600 points in 3dmark05 (with tests running at 0-5fps!!!), low performances on Doom3 and HL2, even in 800*600 and settings in mid/low.

I think this is really wierd because i saw here in the forum results like this or like this one (that as the same laptop that i have), but i cant achieve those results.

I would like to know what can i do to increase the performance of my system, and hear from FX go5700 users the best drivers that they are using!

Thks in advance

I know that with HL2, the 67.02 driver is said to be a fast one. (it's optimized for HL2)

So you tried the 66.81 and did not get good performance?

Try some more drivers like the 65.73, 66.93, and some 67.xx drivers.

I do not have a FX go5700 but those drivers are a good place to start.

I am on the 67.50 driver right now (link in sig) and it works nice too.

You are using Pieter's regular modified INF right?

Bill

I'm gonna try the 67.50 with that mod inf and see what i can get!

Another game that is really messing up in frames per second is AAO (America's Army Online). This one is a really pain in the *ss. With all the settings in the LOWEST, fps's fluctuate from 5 (yes 5!!) to 30/35 fps's... Even on HL2 i can get more than this..

tryed the 67.50, but the result its still the same... I really don't know what to try more!

As anyone here managed to play AAO with a laptop, in the map SF Hospital at a stable frame rate above 30 FPS?

Without owning the game AAO i can say that my 460 Go would get past 5 fps on lowest settings :)

I bet there is something wrong with your software configuration or maybe an overheating problem, which causes the GPU or even maybe the CPU to clock down too a less heat producing frequency :)

Without owning the game AAO i can say that my 460 Go would get past 5 fps on lowest settings :)

I bet there is something wrong with your software configuration or maybe an overheating problem, which causes the GPU or even maybe the CPU to clock down too a less heat producing frequency :)

Maybe its overheating! I have tested it in the last day, and during gameplay, the CPU temperature gets to 79ºC . I think this is a bit hot, but is it enough to cause this poor performance in this laptop?

Anyway i went researching for some cooling solution, and i found the Vantec LapCool2

I went to the website, and saw all 3 models, but they are much smaller than my laptop (a 17'' model). I wanted to ask if there are some cooling solutions for 17'' models, or if the LapCool2 can still help to cool this machine down!

Thks in advance!

Try reading The Effective Notebook Cooling thread.

79C for CPPU during gameplay is normal, but what about the MainBoard temperature, which would be more interesting concerning overheating of components (SpeedFan...).

I've read that thread before starting this one, but there are two things i dont know:

1 - How to see the motherboard temperature. I'm using the mobilemeter program, and it only gives the CPU and HDD temps.

2 - If some of the solutions in the Cooling thread can be applied to my 17'' laptop!

1.) For mainborad and all temparture needs use SpeedFan

2.) dontknow

I would uninstall mobilemeter first. What is it ?by the way?

I would uninstall mobilemeter first. What is it ?by the way?

Here it is the Mobile meter (page in japanese, but it has a link to the english version. The download link is in the japanese page. Program in english).

I had already tryed speedfan, but i can only read the HD temperature with it.. dont know wht though :)

What motherboard should i choose? Mine is an Acer, and it isn't listed. :)

You don'y need to choose a motherboard. This option for OverClocking reasons. SpeedFan should scan & detect any SMBus devices and therefore be able to read out temp. of Mainboard & CPU. If not you need to send alfredo a report (it's a build in function, the INFo tab)

MobileMeter actually is a nice small tool, i just figured.

I think that speedfan doesn't support acer laptops. It only shows the HDD temperature, nothing else... :)

That's a pity, but not a hopeless situation. Like i said, it would be great if you contributew to the development of SpeedFan and send a report from the INFO rab to him :)

To what your original problem was, i totally forgot....What was it about?

The problem is that i'm trying to find a cooling solution for my 17'' laptop.

I have seen many devices (antec, lapcool2, etc) but they all seem designed for smaller laptops...

What are the measures of your Laptop (length and width in centimeters and inches if possible for both worlds)?

Mine is (LxW): 13,1" x 11,6" <=> 33,3 cm x 29,5 cm

the Cooler is : 12,8" x 10,4" <=> 32,5 cm x 26,3 cm (x 1,8 cm height)

I can only answer in centimeters

Width: 37,8cm x Height: 32,0cm

Other thing is that is has 4 rubber feet. The 2 front ones are 0,5cm tall and 2 back ones are 1,0cm.

Because of all of this, i really don't know what can i buy to cool this guy down!

With my FX Go5700 , the 71.20 drivers give me the best 3DMark Score ( 685 ) :)

But well , i don't see a real differences while i play games ... it's juste for benchmarks :)

With my FX Go5700 , the 71.20 drivers give me the best 3DMark Score  ( 685 ) :)

But well , i don't see a real differences while i play games ... it's juste for benchmarks :P

heh , i get 686 & i got slower RAM :)

• 3 weeks later...

hey Xis!

I wil not give you help. But i think i have the same problem.

Can you make some screenshots from the games. with the graphicproblem.

I have the Acer Aspire 1522 WLMI with a FX GO5700 (64MB) and in HL2 i see white blinking points and flikering polygons.

Also in many other games and progs (eg: NVidia Screensaver)

I am also testing and testing the drivers and nothing hapens.

:)

post-3-11072105960_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest

I also have the same laptop and saw this while searching for an overheating problem, while i do have problems with counterstrike (supplied free with HL2) this seems to get worse the longer i play (suggesting overheating). I also play a lot of World of Warcarft and what started off as a minor problem seems to be getting worse. After playing WOW for maybe a couple of hours, the laptop now shuts down completely. The only way I have found to cure this problem is to raise the laptop way of any surface (at the moment I have it purched on the corner of a drawer). I know this doesnt help, but i think they are related and would be very interested in any solution (while trying to keep this a laptop and not some monstrous cooling machine).

Sorry I couldnt help, but any solution would be appreciated :-)

You need a laptop cooler to go under that as well, or just get a big desktop computer sized fan and power it up underneath.

hey Xis!

I wil not give you help. But i think i have the same problem.

Can you make some screenshots from the games. with the graphicproblem.

I have the Acer Aspire 1522 WLMI with a FX GO5700 (64MB) and in HL2 i see white blinking points and flikering polygons.

Also in many other games and progs (eg: NVidia Screensaver)

One wild question is your desktop color depth AND game color depth at 32 bits ?????

It reminds me really old problems in games that render large landscape scenes. In 16 bits you would run into flickering.