LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Satellite 5000, 5100, 5105, 5200, 5205, 1950; DYNABOOK G7 & G8

®®®

its not a black bar

the windows screen comes up and shows the little bar at the bottom that shows the system is loading

then the screen goes blank and restarts in safe mode

I am updating Bios right now and will try again then post results

thanks that toshiba thread is VERY helpflu

this place rocks

EDIT

Bios updated tried to install both drivers listed in your sig same results,

I cant find the 70 series drivers, maybe I am an idiot but they do not link in your sig

Edit

found the 70's and did some reading

it looks like the 71.84 is compatible with my system, I am trying it even though it does not specifically mention that it is compatible with the 460 Go, some other dude said he put in on his though so I am givin it a whirl

EDIT

NO GO it said the driver i have is as good as this one

I WANT TO PLAY HALF LIFE ###### IT

Try using safe mode and get rid of the "PhantomDevices" in the Device Manager (if any). See here for instructions: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=646

After that, reinstall the driver:

- delete all INFs which resides in the driver (you downloaded from us) directory, THEN put in "Pieter's mobile INF" for that driver version.

- Use "HaveDisk" method (...showtopic=33, link above) to install driver

Hope that helps

®®®

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• smax

• gmaust

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was using the Gigabyte drivers (which I posted in WLAN drivers section under Atheros brand drivers, if you haven't noticed) after trying many of other generic ones. Gigabyte has a bit different client which is handy - there is a button to enable/disable the card and SmartSetup thing which gives more info on wireless stuff around and manages profiles a bit easier. I don't see much difference on other drivers other than that and having no problems with Gigabyte one, well only 1 problem but I have it with all drivers as well which is a CPU freeze in a while for a second or so when SuperG mode is enabled.

Edit: look what I've found about XR and SuperG of Atheros;

What is XR Mode?

XR (eXtended Range) technology allows a wireless signal to connect at signal rates lower than 1Mbps. In previous wireless; when the wireless signal rate (the speed at which the wireless signal is able to connect between two nodes) was not able to connect at at least 1Mbps the wireless connection would drop. In an XR network the when signal rates dip lower then 1Mbps the connection is maintained.

Note: When using XR Mode:

• Super G Mode is not available, the option will be grayed out
  • The SSID Broadcast cannot be disabled
  • XR Mode is recommended for use in residential areas only

A late official support bulletin for 5200/5205 about internal microphone here :)

A late official support bulletin for 5200/5205 about internal microphone here :)

Sure took them a while to get that up...

I remember when I first started playing Splinter Cell not knowing that I had a mic built in to my computer, so naturally I cranked up the volume on my music and TV and drove my teammates crazy. Then one day I heard one guy yelling at me to turn my music down and I finally realized what that little hole on the top of my computer was.

For nostalgic reasons: http://www.pcbuyersguide.com/hardware/port...shiba_5200.html

After more than three years experience using this baby this buyers guide seems to be neutral written :)

The cons (in contrast to the buyer's guide) defenitely are the built-in VERY first generation Laptop DVD-Burner (for early adopters :) ) which as a matter of fact (have it replaced 3 times now, internet forums are full of complains) just stops burning DVDs after very short time usage. Toshiba support admitted to me in 2004 on the phone, that "it is known this drive has it's problems concerning DVD-media compatibility" and "there exist more reliable DVD-burner on the market :P ".

Battery has lost it's capacity and now only holds ~30% even though it was handled with extreme care. This is probably a fundamental problem of most of the laptop batteries (tell me your experiences!).

Beside that i cannot for the life of it find any cons! I love the speakers, subwoofer, cPad, screen, resolution, keyboard, SubLCD, USB2, Firewire and... NVIDIA GPU!

I upgraded MiniPCI (existance was a buying decision back in the days) WLAN card. Nice! Open slot, remove both antennaes, take out the card, slide in the new, attach antennaes, close cover. Finished!

When the HiTACHI 7K60 appears on the market in Dezember2003/Januar2004 i also upgraded HD from TOSHiBA 60GB 4200 rpm, to a whopping 60GB 7200rpm which resulted in an incredible XP performance boost. Bottleneck was not RAM or CPU, but is always and still HD. So this would always be my first upgrade option for any PC (rpm -> SATA -> RAID :( ).

I feel like just everything is still up2date although i have an "old" laptop. Would be good if the soldered GPU could be upgraded, but that's just a dream.

I love it but the troubles I had with it and service ... I'm still waiting!! I use it with great care and here is what happened:

- One day sudden restarts and HD died.

- One day I realized I cannot write CDs anymore.

- After a week from the replacement DVD it stopped working again.

- All of a sudden fan started making awful noise and broken down.

- The most worst of all and again all of a sudden my LCD broke down and now I'm waiting for replacement!

Other than those I love it. I love the monitor I love integrated IR and BT solutions even thought I bought it in 2003, 80gb HD and nice GeForge card (wish it was 128mb), I love the way port are disguied under covers and I even love analog sound wheel - I hate button ones they use in all nowadays laptops! This way I feel I have total control over my sound instead of trusting Windows volume control to mute it.

Hmm check this out http://www.mobilityguru.com/2003/07/23/dir...o_go/index.html

I've had my 5205 for 38 months now and haven't had a single problem with the DVD burner. I've burned a TON of DVDs and they've worked flawlessly. Just use good media (Taiyo Yuden is the best) and you won't have any problems. I've also updated the DVD-RW firmware a couple of times since owning it when newer versions have come out.

I've also upgraded my wireless card and the HD to the 60GB 7200rpm drive. Both work much better than what they replaced.

The built-in SD card slot is awesome, as are the speakers, UXGA screen, C-Pad, front media controls, SOLID construction, 4 spindle design (NO ONE else offers this), IR, DVD-RW, etc.

PowerSaver v7.03.04 v7.07.02 is out, but couldn't be run after(!) installation. Come on Toshiba (TVS!). This should not be the path of the future.

They have included 9 PowerSaving presets in that release, but i cannot for the life of it get it started after install. There's an error message. Kind of "You have not the rights to start ToshibaPowerSaver" ?!??!

it was originally released for Quosmio E15

edit: wrong version i wrote

Edited by ®®®

You know that happens here with latest several versions but don't remember what error - probably something else tho, I was sticked to an early release of TPS7. Anyway try installing Common Modules 6.04.

For TVS we must find a way to run it. New one features a whole new output effect!!

And please update this topic. I would but you know my hands are only long enough to reach WLAN and Touchpad drivers :)

6.04? Were they mentioned in this thread? Can you quickly provide a link?

6.04 works? I mean in the long run?! You were writing about video playback issues, which has not necessarily something to do with TS Common Controls, but....you never know :)

Anyways i have it installed.

I upgraded to

- Toshiba ACPI Common Modules v6.00.03 (S522EXCM.exe, CANADA model)

- Toshiba ACPI Common Modules v6.04

- Toshiba Controls v2.05.0301 (S522EXCTRL.exe, CANADA model)

- Toshiba Utilities v3.02.16 (S522EXUT.exe, CANADA models)

but that results in problems with Toshiba Power Saver v7.xx.xx (even the ones that were proper running before). Can't figure which of the update is responsible for the malfunction as too many combinations to test, but i would think the Controls or Utilities. Will see if ACPI Common Modules is the culprit (original was v5.03.00, s140acpx.exe)

Reverted back to my original drivers and the recommendation in the first post (don't update these as you would run into problem :) ).

Anyways TBIOS driver v2.7 is out, too: http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/su...ads/tbios27.exe which works flawless so far, but isn't this important (DMI readout support)

I don't know why but I think it is best to use Common Modules released for our own models, which is something like 6.00.03 or 6.01.00. As for controls and utilities you said other model versions cause problems so we shouıld also stick with our owns.

One other thing I realized if you play too much with common modules what works would stop working too like TPS. I remember reinstalling windows a lot of times just because of not being able to revert TPS back to some working version.

You know what maybe I should use TPS6 too. I'm becoming paranoid after those hardware problems I had one after another. I'm thinking to stay with all old versions but since I'm acting paranoid I can't stop myself from thinking what if they fixed something in newer versions. ###### they need to put a changelog each time!

Yeah I had video playback issues and started to think it is my configuration. I have ###### lots of testing to do once I got my laptop back. But I decided to not touch common modules, controls and utilities this time.

Now my first aim is making TVS work and second is resolving video playback problems with new drivers.

I wish we had a Toshiba Engineer inside to help us solve all those driver madness! They have a lot of explaining to make (like why the hell TVS stopped working, why the hell we can't use new TPS, why the hell driver versions are that much confusing like increasing by one of a thousand but causing problems why why why?)

These are the times I want a new laptop :)

Hey :nerdy: :)

TCM were v5.03.00 for my model. And like i wrote in the first post using some 6.xx version made Explorer instable (at least i was thinking that, hard to prove).

I never had problems with TPS 7.03.xx and my recommended setup.

Toshiba's weird versioning without a changelog is probably _very_ intended, so people doesn#t tinker around with other than original provided software (to lower costs of support).

What i figured over the years, but hard to prove, is that all these newer version beginning with 1.xx.xx are not made for us. Stick/try out the higher version numbers (TPS 7.xx.xx instead of the new 1.xx.xx). If someone can prove the opposite and posts postive test results i would be glad :)

Now at work without Laptop, so it's hard to NOT mix the version numbers :haha:

I have a Toshiba PS 522A-VRD1GP 2.4G Laptop. Embarassingly, I'm a technician, disassembled and reassembled my Laptop but neglected to mark the terminals on my WLAN card (PA3171U-1MPC). I have to position the only 2 wires (black and white) on the J1 and J2 terminals on the card. so of course my question is: which terminal (J1 or J2) takes which wire (black or white)?

I expect to be chastised and ridiculed, but please do that AFTER someone gives me the correct wiring positions :)

Many thanks in advance.

edit for information backup reason

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8782

white = J1 = MAIN

black = J2 = AUX

Edited by ®®®

Topic updated wooo!

• 2 weeks later...

new server, new settings :)

it didn't allow to the pic, so i uploaded and linked it, but no success; it just redirects to mainpage

i remember our AntiLeech protection could be responsible for that :)

need to verify, but later