LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Satellite 5000, 5100, 5105, 5200, 5205, 1950; DYNABOOK G7 & G8

®®®

I was wondering how did you end up with this corruption? Which BIOS were you trying to install? What exactly is your model number?

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• smax

• gmaust

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

am not sure, I just flashed in win-xp, the message said windows would shut-down after the flashing but never did.

Once I turned it on, this is what I got. :)

The exact model is: 5205-S703

Sorry I had to look for the other half of the model number. I just traded for this laptop a few days ago. Thats why I didn't have the full model number in the thread topic.

It was the (bios version 1.5) I think it was. In the bio's patch notes it states, this bio patch will fix hang ups and such which my laptop was having.

I flashed and that the rest is history.

How unfortunate, you are probably correct there is a 1.5 BIOS update for 5205-S703. There are many people who updated to this firmware (including one of the admins) and I haven't heard of a single problem. Sorry but I really have no idea what to do now - maybe RRR knows?

Ahh, ######... Thank you very much for taking the time to reply sn0wl. I have posted on the official Toshiba forum and another forum, and never even got a single reply.

I guess I would be best off just parting it out. Because as things are looking, am not going to get it working anytime soon.

The re-made post is fantastic - a real gold mine for 51xx owners!

Thanks heaps!

I think standby issues are a problem for the un-initiated - still not sure how to change the inf for this problem, is one supposed to change the inf from 3 t0 2 etc at the % point or in the 'MAPOSD3toNV' line? I think it would be helpfull to show an example of how the inf should look in order to avoid confusion for begginers like myself.

One other point of interest i could add is that i note that there some 51xx owners who wish to update to 80 series and cannot. They may be able to work around this, as i have done, by starting (in my case) with the microsoft 440 go driver supplied in SP2 and then update date to any n'force you choose, upto 87.08 i tried and 100% success - tried 90 series but BSOD resulted. Starting with the factory OEM n'vidia drivers or no drivers installed will not allow the successful update of the 80 series n'force. Curious?

Thanks again for all your work.

Edited by gmaust

I'm not much familiar with the problem but can help you with how to change that value. Visit Enhancer here, choose your driver version and change stanby fix number accordingly. Clicking submit button will create you a modified INF file which you should replace the old one with and install again. After restart it should be working.

I'm not much familiar with the problem but can help you with how to change that value. Visit Enhancer here, choose your driver version and change stanby fix number accordingly. Clicking submit button will create you a modified INF file which you should replace the old one with and install again. After restart it should be working.

Thanks , already tried that - just does not want to work for me, perhaps i need to uninstall between tries with the enhancer.

Appreciate your advice anyhow!

Actualy, i could add another suggestion for people who like myself tend to watch HDTV and DVD - is there a display driver which particularly stands out for use on the 51xx for AV applications as opposed to drivers for gaming performance?

Thnaks. :)

Edited by gmaust

Best thing for HDTV is using DVI which our laptops is lacking. Other than that using VGA-out just works pretty fine. I don't recommend TV-out for HDTV as quality is not enough. So for VGA out if it is good on your screen, it is also good on your TV.

Hello All,

I have a Toshiba satellite 5200-801 that was from my uncle, now i have to install the So from back but the laptop just stuck whem hs starts to run setup, i'n only hable to install linux and not any Windows ( 98 /me/xp )

Now i have noticed that the only way to install Windows is by the recovery dvd, but i do not have any DVD recovery, can somebody please provide me a FTP site to download the Recovery DVD or provide any site to buy it ?

I really need help.

Thanks for your support Friends.

Regards

Sérgio Mendes

Best thing for HDTV is using DVI which our laptops is lacking. Other than that using VGA-out just works pretty fine. I don't recommend TV-out for HDTV as quality is not enough. So for VGA out if it is good on your screen, it is also good on your TV.

Sorry , i actualy meant watching HDTV on my notebook, not outputing to a HD screen.

Is there a better or 'best' driver for DVD and HDTV applications rather than for gaming i wonder?

Speaking of HDTV , i have disvovered that my tuner (avermedia) will only work in 16 bit colour mode for HDTV - Took a long time to figure that one out, Avermedia tech support had no clue. Hope this helps someone else to save a lot of time and trouble.

Also , does anyone have the problem of N'force drivers causing the display to flask 'black' for a second at startup after the desktop appears?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you add the Toshiba Zooming utility 'Smooth view' download link to your list - it can be helpfull to some users. I can supply the URL if you dont already have it.

Thanks.

Also , does anyone have the problem of N'force drivers causing the display to flask 'black' for a second at startup after the desktop appears?

I think this was something to do with overclock check. If you a search you will find more info

Could you add the Toshiba Zooming utility 'Smooth view' download link to your list - it can be helpfull to some users. I can supply the URL if you dont already have it.

Does it work nicely? Yeah we wouldn't mind a link :)

I think this was something to do with overclock check. If you a search you will find more info

Does it work nicely? Yeah we wouldn't mind a link :)

Yeah , look its not perfect , (some web pages will still be messy) but it is much more convenient than using the 'ignore font sizes' option in accessibility - simply use Fn + 1 or 2 to increase or deacrease page size: very usefull for those with 1600 x 1200 screens.

Smooth view link:

http://dynabook.com/assistpc/download/winx.../1600x/sviw.htm

and select: 1600sviwx.exe(1.01 MB)

One other element that may be missing from the recommendations is the 'Intel chipset software installation utility' as supplied with my models. (is this needed with SP2?) The Australian models also require a 'Smart Media' driver in addition to the SD card driver. :)

Note : Intel chipset utility is required before Intel Appliaction accelerator is installed , the latter speeded up my system, 5 seconds off boot time - no problems encountered yet.

Edited by gmaust

• 2 weeks later...

Rene should we link Bluetooth part to this thread? I will keep it updated so it would be best to link it there.

Here are the model numbers and some details for the two Canadian versions of the 5200 series.

5200-P0E (PS520C-31P0EP)

2 GHz, 40GB, 512MB, GeForce4 460 Go 64MB, UXGA (Original LCD), C-PAD

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=e...art=516#spectop

5200-00E (PS522C-XK00EP)

2.20 GHz, 60GB, 512MB, GeForceFX5600 Go 64MB, UXGA (Glossy LCD), C-PAD, Integrated 802.11a/b

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=e...rt=1313#spectop

Thanks for the great info.

Edited by mwp

Very good. Thanks! I'll add as this to the first post.

There are no model spec listings for the Australian models, only the PDF product brochure which give some spec detail - any use ? I will supply the link if required.

Having said that, the Australian and Canadian 5xxx are sister models - nearly identical in every respect.

In fact Toshiba Tech support in Australia advises owners to source drivers (except bios) from the Canadian webiste as they have more updates. When i asked Toshiba why the updates were not listed for Australian models i was told that it was to avoid duplication and repetition - "we only put them up if they are not found somewhere else". Yes, unbeliveable but true! Toshiba Australia is very poor.

Edited by gmaust

Interesting :)

Yes, provide the links to the PDFs and the model numbers and i'll add them. Thanks for your particiaption and also thanks to the Australian team for showing such great soccer in the WM :) ))

Yo'all :)

Has anyone know where to source a tactile keyboard for the Toshiba Satellite 5105 s701.

I have seen the fujitsu lifebooks that come with tactile keyboards and they really do impress me, since they are like tough and resilient.

Anyone recommendation if good.

thanks

Scot

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am perparing to buy a Satellite 5025-s705 motherboard. and I perpare to put it into my 5205-s505, because i want to upgrade my graph card to Geforce FX 5600. but, i felt a bit confused right now. i wana ask does someone know the s705 motherboard fit the body of s505 or not?

hi Snowl, could you please show me the picture of inside s705? i remember i saw those picture last time, but now i can not found them.

Edited by Hieiwing

Yes that would be interesting to know. I also played with that thought a while ago.

Well....after stumbling on this site, I have found valuable resources to upgrade my laptop and provide functionality that I could not have dreamed of. I have also improved the performance, I now know how to overclock my PC, and more importantly, after reading this thread, I now know the wonders this site offers for laptop owners like me, who NVIDIA has already abondanded in the dust. Thanks sn0wl for the help and support through pms, and thanks RRR for the making of this thread with sn0wl. Thanks! :)