LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Satellite 5000, 5100, 5105, 5200, 5205, 1950; DYNABOOK G7 & G8

®®®

Hello everyone, I am perparing to buy a Satellite 5025-s705 motherboard. and I perpare to put it into my 5205-s505, because i want to upgrade my graph card to Geforce FX 5600. but, i felt a bit confused right now. i wana ask does someone know the s705 motherboard fit the body of s505 or not?

hi Snowl, could you please show me the picture of inside s705? i remember i saw those picture last time, but now i can not found them.

You can find those pictures in Service Manuals thread. They should be in one of the TS5X0X service manuals and there are many pictures.

cubanresourceful, thanks for the kind words :)

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• smax

• gmaust

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to be of help for owners of this long forgotten laptop series :)

I once have been in Cuba (Pinar del Rio, Habana of course) where do you live?

Glad to be of help for owners of this long forgotten laptop series :)

I once have been in Cuba (Pinar del Rio, Habana of course) where do you live?

I live in South Florida. Unfortunetly I cannot live in Cuba for obvious reasons.... If that flag not for heritage, is it for where I live currently? And yes, my laptop doesnt even have the cPax.... :)

Could you tell us your full specifications so we can update them in first thread for your model? ®®® will probably want to have a look at your NERD log as well.

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has experienced problems upgrading their memory, I recently tried replacing the original 256 MB modules with two Kingston KTT3311/512 modules, however the computer crashes on booting, with the new modules. Has anyone had any similar problems or know of any tricks to get this to work?

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has experienced problems upgrading their memory, I recently tried replacing the original 256 MB modules with two Kingston KTT3311/512 modules, however the computer crashes on booting, with the new modules. Has anyone had any similar problems or know of any tricks to get this to work?

Your 5200 requires KTT-3614

See Toshiba Spec PDF link on the first page.

I suggest using 2x Hynix 512MB PC2700 S RAM. Try searching EBAY for these. 1GB is max for Intel 845MP chipset according to the WhitePapers/specs.

Also when searching include HYMD564M646B6-J as search term. I have these built in my Laptop now after testing out a couple of RAM. Not all are compatible. Most didn't even boot giving an error mesaage in the SubLCD.

These work with 5205-S703/4.

hynixpc2700s.jpg

have a look in my specs (signature) for what else can be upgraded.

(as suggested by gmaust) TOSHiBA Smooth View:

translated by google:

?The Fn? key and ?1? or ?2? with combination of the key, letter and picture indication of application and the idea contest enlargement/it can reduce ?Smooth View??. Because also the graphics data reduces enlargement/simultaneously with letter size, the picture it can indicate when entire balance has been prepared.

Corresponding application is ?Internet Explorer? ?Microsoft® Office? ?Windows® Media Player? ?Adobe Acrobat Reader?.

http://dynabook.com/pc/business/t_origin/t_utilit/smooth/

These days, as for display high resolution conversion advanced. With the Japanese environment which handles especially complicated letter, needs of high resolution conversion are higher than the European-American spheres. But when high resolution conversion advances in the picture space which is limited, this time visibility problem arises. How balance it can point to the amount of information and visibility, it is source of trouble.

As for Smooth View in order that you answer the trouble such as that, with the utility which was developed, it is the tool which it expands reduces indicatory contents of corresponding application. Microsoft ® Internet Explorer and Microsoft ® Office and Windows Media Player and Adobe ® it can expand can reduce the indication of Reader and desktop idea contest size etc.

If as for operation method, if it is dynabook SS1600, [Fn] the key [1] [2], for private home the model dynabook EX series [Fn] the key [1] [2] or it is the letter enlargement button of the life style panel. You can call that many applications can be operated with the same operation method the merit of Smooth View.

www.toshiba-tie.co.jp/solution/notepc_adv/soft.html

Hi all, I have a question about Satellite 5100.

Is there a software which can be used to change the boot sequence of this kind of laptop? I mean, its like an executable toshiba hwsetup.

See, the problem is that, I have a dumb friend who playing smart with his Satellite 5100 which end up by cleaning all its partition, with boot sequence setting locked in the windows. Since the first boot sequence is on HDD, I couldn't boot through the CD ROM.

I have to find ways to change the boot sequence to install the operating system.

So, is there such application to do that?

Thanks

Keep pressing c button or repeatedly press F12 button during Toshiba logo screen. c button will make cdrom first boot while F12 will make you choose from the several options under Toshiba logo.

Your 5200 requires KTT-3614

See Toshiba Spec PDF link on the first page.

Thanks, although Kingston claim that the KTT3611 are compatible with this unit, may be not however.

Added more info about TBIOSDRV.sys / TBIOSDRV.VXD in the first post.

Keep pressing c button or repeatedly press F12 button during Toshiba logo screen. c button will make cdrom first boot while F12 will make you choose from the several options under Toshiba logo.

Thanks alot!!

And now I have another problem. My recovery cd especialy on the preinstalled ghost image is corrupted and I couldn't restore at all :) ..

So, where can I find the preinst.gho file ? Or is there someone out there who willing to share theirs with me?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks,

first thanks for this super post it's really a must to read!!

I have a question I have a satellite 5100-603 and I would like to upgrade my hard disk can I put a 2.5" 100 g 7200 rpm ????

Thanks I advance

ps I have problems with my graphic card (geforce 4 440 32 ram) where can I bay a new one ? (for a good price af course)

Greetz

Chris

Hello Folks,

first thanks for this super post it's really a must to read!!

I have a question I have a satellite 5100-603 and I would like to upgrade my hard disk can I put a 2.5" 100 g 7200 rpm ????

Thanks I advance

ps I have problems with my graphic card (geforce 4 440 32 ram) where can I bay a new one ? (for a good price af course)

Greetz

Chris

The graphics cards are soldered on to the board, so you'll need a whole new motherboard. As for the hard drive, it should work.

The graphics cards are soldered on to the board, so you'll need a whole new motherboard. As for the hard drive, it should work.

Thanks for your reply but in fact this graphic card is not solded to the motherboard it's a little PCI

and for the harddisk ?

Thanks in advance

Some series have it soldered... like mine, Smax and probably the majority, but some feature an exchangeable card... like You :-)

Some series have it soldered... like mine, Smax and probably the majority, but some feature an exchangeable card... like You :-)

Waw I'm lucky !!! :) but do you know where I cab buy a new one ??

and can I upgrade my 5100-603 with a 7200 rpm hard disk ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Titan

Ah sorry about that, I just figrued... Oh well.

is anybody know what's de best harddisk to<update a 6100-603 ?

60 GB 80 GB 100 120 5400RPM 7200RPMP ????

and can I^put more than 512 MB ram?

tanks in advance

greetz

is anybody know what's de best harddisk to<update a 6100-603 ?

60 GB 80 GB 100 120 5400RPM 7200RPMP ????

and can I^put more than 512 MB ram?

tanks in advance

greetz

I'd say get the hard drive that suits you best. If you need space, get a bigger drive. If you need speed, get the faster drive.

As for the memory, it should support up to 2 GB, but I doubt that you'd want to drop that kind of money.

I'd say get the hard drive that suits you best. If you need space, get a bigger drive. If you need speed, get the faster drive.

As for the memory, it should support up to 2 GB, but I doubt that you'd want to drop that kind of money.

Thanks smax for your response but I've site on a site that the bios of this laptop don't reconise more than 80 gb ?? and have problem with ata6 interface

what do you think about that ?

have a nice WE

Greetz from Belgium

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

this post is mostly directed to ®®® because he seems to know ALOT about Toshiba Satellite 5205's and I'm Hoping he (or someone else?) can help me with this unusual and unique problem that I've created on the Satellite 5205-S703 that I've been Working on for the last few days ...

The Original problem was the DC Power In Jack ... Center Pin was Broken Off ...

I already found LOTS of 411 on Disassembly ... and I replaced the Jack no Problem ...

Also, In the Process I also Cleaned the HeatSink and CPU Fan, seeing that these Tosh Sat's have those kinda problems ...

BUT when i got all done with the reassembly .... The CPU Fan would not Power on AT ALL ... NO MATTER WHAT THE CPU TEMP WAS! (I use NHC NoteBook Hardware Control to monitor the system) ....

SO I started by testing the fan itself ... i noticed that right on the fan it self it said 5VDC ... so i tested it with a AC Adaptor (the kind where you can adust the voltage output) and the Fan worked fine ... so I examined the connector on the planar board ... which seemed perfectly fine .... so i reassembled it with the keyboard loose and tested the Leads on that connector with a Voltage Meter .... no juice ...

SO I SAID SCREW IT .... I Soldered A Hot Wire to Pin One on one of the USB ports (+5VDC) and found myself a good Gnd to solder a lead to ... and Permanently Connected the CPU Fan so that it is ALLWAYS ON ... no biggie right ... i mean i don't mine the noise ....

But Now in Windows ... the ACPI system in complaining about a problem with the cooling system and that i should shutdown and return the unit to toshiba ... NOT

I Know, I know ... it's the 3rd wire on the CPU Fan which is the sensor wire ... which I left unconnected

what I wanta know is this ... Is there Anyway that i can disable the ACPI monitoring of the CPU Fan ... normally you would do this in the system BIOS ... but go figure ... Gotta Love how Toshiba setup the BIOS on these Satellites

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!! .... syn805@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for late reply.

I don't know of a reported success of disabling monitoring for CPU Fan.

Nevertheless, one idea would be to fresh install XP without ACPI (F5).

Also reading the circuit board layout of the 5205 is helpful (see FAQ, Disassembly guides). The other idea would be to contact an obviuos true hero of assembly/disassembly of the 5x0x series over at http://www.FixMyToshibaLaptop.com and ask him about the Wiring/Fan problem you have encountered.

There might be a chance to break our BIOS with a tool someone send to me with mail. It takes apart the BIOS in it's parts and if you have programming skills you might find it usefull tinkering around with the ACPI table... I haven't tested it, but if i remember correct the stickied "P10 - BadPerformance" thread in the Support forum holds more information about that tool (Phoenix bla tool)

Hello

I have a Satellite 5100-603. I was told it does not support more than 512 RAM.

What worse is, the motherboard broke down and the laptop is completely dead. Anyone knows specification of the motherboard and where to get a new one?

Thanks,