LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Satellite 5000, 5100, 5105, 5200, 5205, 1950; DYNABOOK G7 & G8

®®®

Thanks for the tip! That was it, everything started working after I exited the TDispVol.exe process. I did not have the Ezkey or other programs that other people were having issues with, but for me, removal of TDispVol process did the trick. I also did a full uninstall, applied the black-bar fix using the nifty INF generator and reinstalled the driver with that and removed TDipsVol from msconfig. If things hold, I'm just going to edit it out of the registry. Not sure what it does, but sounds like volume level display app of sorts which won't really be missed.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• smax

• gmaust

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TDispVol is responsible for showing the icon on your LCD when pressing FN+Volume Up/Down (see first post of this thread for details). It can be updated by updating the TOSHiBA ACPI Comon Modules or one of the other applications (see first post)... i forgot which one exactly.

I'm having some stupid problems as well, mostly driver related. First of all if I enable Super G (108) mode of my WiFi card, computer freezes for a second once in a while. Another one; TVS is causing a sound hiccup problem, for example while listening to music if explorer navigation click is played volume goes high and returns back to normal. Very irritating and sometimes changes bass-treble-focus settings as well. Maybe some leftovers from 0.12 version are causing them, uninstalling and using an old version didn't work. Or some other stupid thing interfares. I want to change internals of this laptop and keep the case and externals as they are!

It came with a Matshita UJ-811b dvd drive. it quit within the first few months of buy it. I would love to replace the drive and I am wondering what to buy. I don't care about burning dual layer although it would be nice. Please give any suggestions that have been tested and you know will work. I don't want to have to flash anything i just want to buy the drive and install it.
RRR was also searching for one but I guess he didn't get much results ...
In the manual for mine it says ram is upgradeable to 1gb which i have done. Will it support more ram?

If it says 1 max, then it is 1 max.

When i switched my computer to english os my remote stopped working. The japanese remote is different from the little US remote. Does anyone know how i could get the remote working as usual? I have the japanese operating system installed still as dual boot.
Try Japanese original Toshiba Utilities (was that the one you need to install for remote control ..? I don't remember, you might have to try Toshiba Controls as well).
Nowadays the only Toshiba things I tolerate are HDDs and Bluetooth stacks.

Agree, BT stack of Toshiba is very nice. I saw it's now being used by other companies as well. No more Widdcom monopoly :)

My Toshiba G7's fan has been making heaps of noise lately. So I thought I should buy a new one as soon as possible. Does anybody know where from i can buy a new Fan for this model (G7/U24PDDW)?
I had to replace my fan a while ago as well. Had to pay about 70$ for the original part. I hope you can find one for your likings.
@ sn0wl: still broken; will eventually fix it after our move to the US in summer or so

RRR if you ever get to buy a new laptop, let me know. I might like to get the same laptop as yours to get nice support and researching by yourself that will ultimately replace official support :)

Wow it's hard to be busy.

Edited by sn0wl

It came with a Matshita UJ-811b dvd drive. it quit within the first few months of buy it. I would love to replace the drive and I am wondering what to buy. I don't care about burning dual layer although it would be nice. Please give any suggestions that have been tested and you know will work. I don't want to have to flash anything i just want to buy the drive and install it.
RRR was also searching for one but I guess he didn't get much results ...
Have a look in my specification signature:

DVD upgrade : aborted due to toooooo many Incompatibilities and Standard Violations

RRR if you ever get to buy a new laptop, let me know.
i will. Probably my new laptop will be in the super-portable range like XPS 1210 or Toshiba Pro U200 with more than 6 hours battery life.

I want to follow-up with a hearty thanks to @@@. You pinpointed the cause of the static I was getting in one of my speakers as the PCMCIA pre-N card. I bought a great ASUS MIMO mini-PCI card and there is zero noise. And as a bonus my connection seems to be much faster. For information, the mini-PCI card is ASUS WL-126gM which I bought at Newegg.com for $50 (here).

Good to hear :) From what i read from the link you posted, ASUS is offering -besides the small and pure driver- some kind of resource hogging BLOATware for using WLAN, so i recommend a Driver-Only install (.INF & .SYS "Have-Disk-method").

Good advice excpet you linked to the wrong drivers. Those are for a non-MIMO wireless card.

I ordered one from Newegg but it was defective. It won't let my laptop turn off (someone else had the same problem) and even made the laptop turn on by itself as soon as I had physically installed the card. I'm having them send me another one.

I don't like their configuration utility very much but it's better than the Windows one. I currently have the newest Atheros card and use a Gigabyte ACU and will test reception before and after.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently replaced the original Toshiba 60GB hard drive with an Hitachi TravelStar 72K 100GB and reinstalled all my applications and drivers. I've also changed from XP Pro SP1 to SP2.

For some reason I can't install NVidia driver v72.14. It runs through the v72.14 setup routine and then says something like 'We cannot find drivers compatible with your hardware configuration'. I think I'm running v36.39 at the moment (6.13.10.3639 - NVIDIA Detonator 36.39).

Also, the CPU seems to come under excessive demand quite a lot now. It usually idles at about 4% to 10% but shoots up to 100% after opening up most applications. I can no longer play any .wav music files larger than about 2MB on Windows Media Player, but I used to be able to play much larger music files of 50MB - 100MB without any problems. Is this just a consequence of the upgrade to SP2 on the Toshiba 5205 or more likely something wrong with my configuration?

I have 1GB of ram and have a static pagefile of 4GB on Drive C:

Sorry, this probably isn't the right forum, but I wasn't sure what the problem was. Any thoughts?

For the nVidia driver installation: you are replacing the .inf file and following the FAQs right?

I'm not sure about anything else though. Your system shouldn't idle at 4-10% on a fresh install. Maybe your speedstep settings are set to maximum battery or something?

For the nVidia driver installation: you are replacing the .inf file and following the FAQs right?

I'm not sure about anything else though. Your system shouldn't idle at 4-10% on a fresh install. Maybe your speedstep settings are set to maximum battery or something?

Oh right! No, I didn't use the modified .inf - so I need to do that! Thanks, I'll try it.

Since last post I've reinstalled the default Win XP Home with all my other apps and my Toshiba 5205 is zipping along. It was fine with XP Pro SP1, but slowed down dramatically with SP2, so I'm a bit cautious about using SP2 now..

My system idles at 1-7% at the moment, and that's on AC power using the Toshiba power-saving utility set for 'Maximum Performance' under cooling method and 'Performance' under Speedstep.

Here is handy little piece of code some users may find helpfull - it is a shortcut to eject the CD tray.

For instance, i now have an icon on my cPad to eject , however the shortcut can be anywhere you like.

File Attatched.

Copy and paste 'cdtray' file to C:\windows\system32

Right click on desktop and add new shortcut.

Browse to C:\windows\system32\cdtray

Add 'open d:' to file path ie: : C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdtray.exe open d:

Note : 'd:' designates the assigned optical drive letter, you will need change accordingly to match your own drive letter.

(NOTE: for desktop use you may also add a 'close d:' shortcut to close the CD Tray)

cdtray.exe

Edited by gmaust

Here is handy little app that some users may find helpfull - it is a shortcut to eject the CD tray.

For instance, i now have an icon on my cPad to eject , however the shortcut can be anywhere you like.

That's really helpful - thanks!

Can i do for mmc-card to be read in sd-card reader in toshiba 5205-s703? Where can i find cracked or modified driver for sd-reader?

Thx in advance

podkop

Well I just visited my old 5205 at my brother's house, and the thing is starting to show its age. The hinge for the screen has gotten really loose... Does anyone know of a good way to tighten it back up?

Use sand... since it turns perfectly working hinges into stuck ones... it might turn your loose one into a perfectly working one. :)

ps: I'm kidding...

I was thinking something like a thin layer of superglue coated with sand, personally.... :-P

Here is handy little piece of code some users may find helpfull - it is a shortcut to eject the CD tray.

File Attatched.

Copy and paste 'cdtray' file to C:\windows\system32

Right click on desktop and add new shortcut.

Browse to C:\windows\system32\cdtray

Add 'open d:' to file path ie: : C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdtray.exe open d:

(NOTE: for desktop use you may also add a 'close d:' shortcut to close the CD Tray)

I've been using this utility through a shortcut on my desktop but I'd like to add it as an option on my cPad.

I'm using cPax, however, and I can only select the program file (cdtray.exe) which won't work without the 'open d:' addition to the file path in the shortcut. Is there a way of making cdtray work through cPax as well?

Many thanks

I haven't tried with cPax (my 5205 is broken), but try:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdtray.exe" open e

or

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdtray.exe" -open e

where "e" is the letter of your cd drive.

With a little trick, you can. Not the best way but a quick solution.

Put cdtray.exe into a folder in c:\cdtray\cdtray.exe and create another batch file there, namely cdtray.bat and type in "c:\cdtray\cdtray open d:" without quotes. Now browse for the cdtray.exe in application launcher. After that go to c:\Program Files\Toshiba\cPax and open apps.cps with a text editor, find "c:\cdtray\cdtray.exe" and replace "exe" with "bat". It should do the trick for the while. I might do a little application to ease it or enable batch support in cPax ... But sorry currently too busy to modify cPax!

Thanks very much indeed, ®®® and Sn0wl!

The batch file works fine, and it's great to open the cd tray from cPax :)

Go cPax!!

hi

i have toshiba 5205 and i'm looking for some kind of utility, driver or something else that can change when the battery starts charging (i mean in toshiba battery starts charging even it has 99% and i now that i.e. IBM laptops has an option in power saver to change charge start and stop level to i.e. 50% and 90%) i think this would be wery useful (and helps saving the battery) because i work most of time on AC power

I never saw anything like it back when I had my 5205. You may want to ask in this thread: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6567

That thread has just about any known program, driver and tool specific to the 5205 series mentioned in it in at least one place. There isn't anything like what you're looking for in there, but it's a good place to ask.

mako i moved your post and smax' answer in here :)

Unfortunetaly i can not remember to have seen such a tool. Toshiba should implement this setting in the Power Saver application :)

They should, but when was the last time they updated that thing?

Hey everyone, here's my story.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5205-S704 with nVidia GeForce4 460 Go. I accidentally jabbed my wrist into the front panel of the laptop, on the left side, and when I did this the display crashed. I restarted the computer, and it worked just fine for about 5-10 min of use, then spontaneously crashed again. This problem has occured ever since. If I leave the laptop alone, it wont crash. The driver is up-to-date as far as I'm concerned (driver date is sometime in 2002 i think)

Sometimes on reboot, I will get a "windows recovered from a serious error" message, and the culprit: my display card.

I plugged in an external monitor and the same error happened, so I know it is not a LCD issue. I think the video card is either dislodged or cracked, but is it even possible to do that with a slight wrist tap to the front? The force of the hit was not too great.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the video card is seperate on this model of Satellite or if it is built into the motherboard. If I have to repair it, it will be pretty expensive if it is the whole motherboard id assume. But is there anyway to fix this? I'm a poor college student, I don't have the money or time!

Any help is greatly appreciated.