LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Satellite 5000, 5100, 5105, 5200, 5205, 1950; DYNABOOK G7 & G8

®®®

That's odd. The graphics cars is built in to the motherboard though, so you can't exactly replace it.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• smax

• gmaust

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi all, I need a favor.

I have dynabook vx1 with japanese OS and I lost my recovery dvd and application dvd. Can someone help me to find the US model of my pc? So that I can download the drivers from toshiba direct.com.

thank you

p.s. my model is dynabook vx1/W15LDET

PAVX1W15LDET

Edited by zungag

This is "slightly" offtopic in here as it's about G7 or G8 not vx1 :)

You can find the corresponding model if you are aware of the innards of your VX1.

Pls. use our NERD tool (see my signature) to find out the components build/used in your VX1 and try to compare with the specifications given at the US Toshiba website. I can tell you that VX1 is not comparable with the 5000 range series (5105, 5200 etc.) as i'm not aware of any model with a Go 5200.

Is it correct that the 5205s will not be able to run Vista because the video card won't be able to handle the new GUI?

It will run but without AERO, the transparent and smooth GUI (GF4). Ones with GFFX can run that as well.

I think it would tax most of the other hardware too. Pentium 4-M processors aren't exactly the creme of the crop and 5205's tend to not have a lot of memory.

Power management software's another issue along with drivers, but that isn't merely a 5205 issue... it's a Vista issue.

To conclude, we don't recommend Vista on our good old Toshiba's :)

Hello,

I realize this forum is a little advanced for me but, I am interested in getting my button control back for my tv-out button on my toshiba satellite 5205-S305 model laptop. I installed some drivers over the last year and now realize that my tv-out button doesn't work. Does anyone know how I can go about getting this back?

Thanks,

I am interested in getting my button control back for my tv-out button on my toshiba satellite 5205-S305 model laptop. I installed some drivers over the last year and now realize that my tv-out button doesn't work. Does anyone know how I can go about getting this back?

What driver are you using? On my 5205 I liked 67.02 the best. I'm pretty sure it works differently on the newer drivers, but on the old series I just had to make sure that "Force TV detection" was on and the TFNF5 was running in the background (if I remember correctly...).

I have a problem...I have a GF4 440 Go (Toshiba 5105-S701).When I try to manualy update driver I receive "File not found".

In a old version of driver:

NVidia.Mfg

%NVidia.Nv17M.1% = nv4_NV17, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&SUBSYS_00011179

Localizable Strings

NVidia.Nv17M.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go (Toshiba)

My Id Hardware under Vista:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_A3

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&SUBSYS_00011179

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&CC_0300

Can someone help me please?

Edited by lumezit

Hello All!!! this is an awesome site! i have been looking for upgraded drivers forever. It's wonderful to be able to play NFSU2 without the artifacting in bumper/hood camera mode! I have run into an unfortunate problem however.. maybe someone can help me.

I have dual displays, and the 3d windows screensaver provided by Xpize. Prior to upgrading to v 72.14 drivers (i orig had 24.xx), the 3d screensaver would come on the primary display (laptop lcd) only (and did not change the resolution). This was fine for me, as it blanked the secondar monitor.

After installing 72.14, when the screensaver comes on, it tries to change the resolution of my primary screen, is unsuccessful in running the screensaver (for wahatever reason) and changes back to 1400x1050, but all my windows that were on the primary screen are on the secondary screen. (this is exactly what happens when i try to run a 3d game (NFSU2) in a dual display configuration. I always have to run 3d games in a single display config)

I assumed it was something with trying to use 3d on both monitors, so under "performance & quality settings" i checked "advanced configuration" and changed "hardware acceleration" from 'Multi-display performance mode' to 'single-display mode', rebooted, and same problem exists.

i found that if i simply disable 'NvCpl' from running in msconfig, the problem goes away, and the screensaver runs just fine, but i would like NvCPL to run, as it also sets custom color profiles for my monitors when it loads, and it is a PITA to have to reset them manually everytime i boot the computer

so i know it's a setting that gets loaded with NvCpl that causes this, but i have no idea what it is. any advice? Please not that i DO NOT have Nview enabled and do not WISH to have it enabled.

thanks in advance for anyone's help!

My boss have a Toshiba Satellite S5200-902 purchased in Saudi Arabia(Europe). He wanted me to format and Reinstall all drivers. But he didnt had any drivers disk. insted he gave me a disk from a previous model. I formated and installed windows xp pro and almost all drivers except.

The drived disk he gave me had a folder called dvdram Driver containing an executable file. I ran the file and without any warning , it updated the firmware of my dvd ram drive. now it looks like a Matsushita UJ810 drive. but It will not read any disk. It is saying IO error.

I tried to download the driver UJ810 C 102 but it is saying the firmware is already updated.

I tried to download the other driver SDR 6012-133 but it is saying it cannot find any CDRom

please help me

thanks

Dominic

The SDR6012 is a TOSHiBA drive, the other one a Matsushita. A Firmware Update -supplied from OEM/ODM like Toshiba- only applies for the given model - not for any other model. You cannot mix them. It will give you a "not found" warning. So i can only assume that your drive is UJ810.

Try uninstalling DVDRAM driver... your boss might not even even know what DVDRAM is. This will turn the drive not useless! Afterwards you still can read/write DVD and CDs... if the drive is OK (dirt on the lense can be a cause of malfunctioning). BUT: Don't expect a 4 year old Laptop DVD drive to work correctly. Most of them fail after a certain amount of time writing DVDs while CDs give no problem.

On this particular model a DVD burner upgrade or change cannot be done by normal means (do-it-youself).

Just like mine, probably you have UJ810 as well. Like rrr says, they fail quite easily (mine did 2 times). It's weird dvdram driver made a firmware update. Also firmware update wouldn't run if it was another drive.

On this particular model a DVD burner upgrade or change cannot be done by normal means (do-it-youself).

For interest sake , i should mention that i updated my matsushita ujda 720 dvd combo unit to a new dual layer dvd burner

- NEC ND 6500A Slim 8X DVD+/-RW Drive. All i had to do was correct the master / slave (ide #1 error) issue by shorting pin terminals 45 & 47 together , which grounds one of these pins to correct the cable select issue. More info on this can be found at

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread1615-1.html

Now Works Perfectly!

I should mention to 51xx owners there is a hidden screw underneath the keyboard which holds the drive in place (as well as the usual base screw on the underside of the laptop) Just prise off the plastic facia panel around the power button with

a plastic spoon etc. to reveal the keyboard screws.

NOTE-

(i do have an issue with the original product recovery disk not working now , Toshiba says it is a bios setting which does not look at the optical drive so i must assume that Vista has changed something to cause the product recovery disks to identify the machine as a 'portable PC' and not a 5100. I do recall the 'Portable PC' name when i trialled vista so i dont think it has anything to do with the new optical drive - anyways Toshiba swears it should not make any difference.)

Edited by gmaust

:) how did you solve the "DVD-faceplate-not-fitting-problem"?

Have you tried to reset/edit/change DMI values with TOSHiBA DMI Update utility: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=7011

I hope not that VISTA uses a DMI writing utility and messes up -not asking the user- DMI values... but i can imagine it :)

I think faceplates are changeable, you see the screws when you open the tray.

For interest sake , i should mention that i updated my matsushita ujda 720 dvd combo unit to a new dual layer dvd burner

- NEC ND 6500A Slim 8X DVD+/-RW Drive. All i had to do was correct the master / slave (ide #1 error) issue by shorting pin terminals 45 & 47 together , which grounds one of these pins to correct the cable select issue. More info on this can be found at

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread1615-1.html

Now Works Perfectly!

I should mention to 51xx owners there is a hidden screw underneath the keyboard which holds the drive in place (as well as the usual base screw on the underside of the laptop) Just prise off the plastic facia panel around the power button with

a plastic spoon etc. to reveal the keyboard screws.

NOTE-

(i do have an issue with the original product recovery disk not working now , Toshiba says it is a bios setting which does not look at the optical drive so i must assume that Vista has changed something to cause the product recovery disks to identify the machine as a 'portable PC' and not a 5100. I do recall the 'Portable PC' name when i trialled vista so i dont think it has anything to do with the new optical drive - anyways Toshiba swears it should not make any difference.)

That's great news. I've been using an external DVD burner since my internal one failed after 4 years. It stopped writing DVDs but still reads them just fine. Maybe I'll look for another internal drive now.

Guys, which of these two drives would you choose for the 5205? http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option...mp;limitstart=1 or http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/p...etailsComponent

Edited by nonegiven

[*]Go440, Go460

Make sure you have changed the value MAPOSD3toNV to 2 in our modded INF for this driver in order to assure proper Standby wakeup of the LCD. Very old drivers (50s series) use the value 3 instead of 2.

v72.14 definitely works with our model after a fresh install of Windows and also features correct working PowerMizer technology.

I have tried 87.08, 87.25, 84.43, 84.26, 83.20, 79.31 and 78.92 each with restoring my OS IMAGE (i think the only way to assure proper testing) and they all BSOD.

The weird thing is that after installing v77.77 (which works) and then updating to 78.92 without uninstalling v77.77 they don't BSOD. Go figure...

Other drivers I have tested and which install without BSOD:

78.82, 78.70, 78.59, 77.77, 71.44, 71.20

Anyways I recommend using v72.14.

You haven't found a way to install 8x.xx series of driver for GeForce4 460 Go, have you? Why is there GeForce4 460 Go in INF files of 8x.xx series on your site? Is this problem only with these models of notebooks?

You haven't found a way to install 8x.xx series of driver for GeForce4 460 Go, have you? Why is there GeForce4 460 Go in INF files of 8x.xx series on your site? Is this problem only with these models of notebooks?

I can update to 80 series with my go 4xx , but there is a catch - i can only sucessfully update if i start with the Microsoft driver installed in SP2

(you can find it by navigating to the NVTS inf in C:/windows/servicepackfiles/i386 , -if your decice manger does not show the Microsoft 4xx go driver in the update panel)

After installing the microsoft driver you can the update to 80 series. The powermiser wont work , but all else seems to.

You may have a standby issue which i solved about a year ago with the 80`series , however i can not remember how i did it. I am using 84.25 now for my HDTV and no matter how many combinations of 2 & 3 i try in the inf , i am unable to get standby working - but i prooved once it can be done.

Have you tried to reset/edit/change DMI values with TOSHiBA DMI Update utility: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=7011

I hope not that VISTA uses a DMI writing utility and messes up -not asking the user- DMI values... but i can imagine it :)

Thanks for the DMI tip , i will try! :P

As for the face plate change here are some of my thoughts and results for those who might like to try.

You can either cut out a piece of the replacement drive face plate to accomodate the lower right hand corner 'checked out' area

(i tried this option first with a red hot knife from the stovetop to melt the face plate plastic then i finished with a file to clean up the cut out - very nice job too!).

The other option i next undertook and the one i prefer because of the asthetics (looks nicer) in usiing my original toshiba face plate is to either screw or glue it on to the new drive assembly.

If you choose to screw , simply make some srew holes with a hot pin (stove top or cigarette lighter again!) in the right areas and attach the original face plate to the

new drive.(you can use the small screws from the old drive) Now the obvious question is what about the eject button if you change face plates (they dont usually match up) - i was lucky - the nec drive i used has the emergency eject pin hole in the same place as the toshiba eject button - i just had to glue a liitle piece of plastic to extend the length of the nec eject arm to meet the toshiba button , i know this must sound really dodgy to some people but it works perfectly - so much more convenient than waitng for the software eject or the machine to boot up before the drive will open. Obviously you would not want to force an eject when the drive is in use so i assigned an eject command (see my earlier post) to a touchpad corner and placed a CD eject icon there to match. (if anyone wants the icon let me know). I wish i had done this sooner - the years i spent fumbling around trying to push the cd eject button on this machine are a thing of the past. So to sum up it all works very nicely - i just tap my cpad/cpax icon on the touchpad corner and out she spits, or

if the machine is off i have instant access to the drive with the physical eject button. This approach may not suit everyone but i can honestly say that i prefer my setup to the original.

Edited by gmaust

I have a 5105-s701 and replaced my Matshita DVD-Rom (UJDA730) with a Matshita DVD-R (UJ820).

They are have same screw holes, Eject Button Position and Eject Hole position. You can mount old faceplate without problems.

:)

Edited by lumezit

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I need some advice.

I have blown my Harman/Kardon subwoofer speaker that was inbuilt into the bottom of the laptop. I am looking to replace it, but I have no idea of what to buy, where to buy, or what to look for basicaly.

I believe I have blown the speaker because the noise that it makes resembles "holding the neck of a deflating balloon" if the defating balloon had low tones like Barry White did.

Any advice would be great, thanks

I am looking to replace it, but I have no idea of what to buy, where to buy, or what to look for basicaly.

only places you can probably get that part is ebay or Toshiba (manufacturer). Strange how laptops can blow their speakers so easily. My laptop generates 0.5 watts per channel total (2 channels), yet somehow the left speaker blew, and the right one is perfectly fine. the Dell XPS 1710 and 170 (I believe) both have subwoofers on the bottom, and rated at 2 or 3 watts (hard to find this info), 1 watt for the sub and 0.5 for the four other speakers (or two, cant remember), even with the equalizers, the speakers shouldn't double their output.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, ia have dynabook g8 with dvd-ram. can anybody tell me how to update the Matshita uj-811 dvd ram firmware and where to download it. i have problem with reading or burning the CD-R/RW, cannot detect any CD. but can play DVD disc or burning dvd-R. please any opinion. thx.