LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Satellite 5000, 5100, 5105, 5200, 5205, 1950; DYNABOOK G7 & G8

®®®

Hi there,

I got a Toshiba 5100-503. Glad I found this thread I updated a lot of things - after restarting my notebook started to "hang" every 10 seconds for around 1-2 seconds.

I found out this is related to "hotkeys".

When I terminate the process, everything's fine. But even deinstalling "hotkeys" cannot kill it. After restarting it will be there again.

Can anyone help me? :)

Email:cmayer@gmx.de

thanks alot...

ciao, Christoph

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• smax

• gmaust

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest macka_x

Hmmm, downloaded the latest power managment stuff onto my toshiba 1410, along with the latest alps, SEEMS to work ok, but, im not too sure how well. Any opinions on their use in older systems?

do you know how to repair a deleted file on a toshiba satellite 5105 series?
File recovery is not something specific to your computer. You should search for deleted file recover programs.
When I terminate the process, everything's fine. But even deinstalling "hotkeys" cannot kill it. After restarting it will be there again.

By terminating "hotkeys" process, do you mean "00THotkey.exe"? If so it's a part of installed software - you are probably uninstalling FN5 display devices hotkey application. If I'm not mistaken it must be a part of Toshiba Utilities. Anyway if you want to disable it from startup, go to RUN, type "msconfig" and disable the application from startup tab. You may try updating your Toshiba Utilities (if that was what installing it).

Hmmm, downloaded the latest power managment stuff onto my toshiba 1410, along with the latest alps, SEEMS to work ok, but, im not too sure how well. Any opinions on their use in older systems?

Using Power Saver version 7 and up is known to have a brightness bug on our 5x00 models. New versions are not meant to be used with old models so there 'might' be problems or nothing useful using those new applications especially with an old model like yours. Still if you see no troubles, use it but be careful with model specific things like Utilities and ACPI common modules.

And for Toshiba Power Saver 7, it looks really nice but I'm having some problems with it. Works pretty well but when I unplug the power cable, screen brightness goes to a lower setting and i have to change the power saver setting to make it bright again. I dont know why this happens, whole settings are set to brightness level 8 but like i said i have to change the current setting to make it level 8 again.

Guest macka_x

Well, that doesnt actually happen to me! Which is nice i suppose.

I notice this forum is geared toward the newer toshibas, are there any other good laptop forums around? Few and far between to be honest.

• 4 weeks later...
®®®'s mail is <edited by ®®®: removed due to spam bots :P , just press the mail button in my profile>, you should send it to him.

My email is my w_flemin@bellsouth.net if you email me I can automatically put it on my server, ®®® might be slow to upload it.

:) :)

What is with the quote? :(

Are you gonna put that in your sig? :P

One of my bad days I guess lol. :)

Edit: it is probably best to leave the post as an example. :)

Edited by Bill

Toshiba Bluetooth Stack for Windows XP/2000

Version: 4.00.01T

Size: 27,726,488 bytes

Posted: 09/27/05

Download Here

Haven't fully tested yet but looks a lot better than version 3.

Toshiba ConfigFree Utility for Windows XP

Version: 5.70.09

Size: 14,836,872 bytes

Posted: 09/27/05

Download Here

Waiting for WiFi Card to test it :)

Hi,

This is my first post and I am unsure if this is the right place or even the right question to be asking! This is pretty much the only forum I have found online which is active about the 5200-902! So I hope you don't mind me asking here, thanks very much.

I have a 5200-902, which currently has a Linksys Wireless-G PC card in it which I use to connect to my wireless network.

Connection is little patchy because my laptop is upstairs and the router is downstairs.

It has aerials in the lid for wireless reception which can be used with a Wireless mini-pci adaptor slot in the bottom of the notebook (as you all know). It would be much more conveinient if I could install a card in there and get better reception due to a much larger aerial and a generally more streamlined system (it would also free up the PC-Card slot for other things).

HOWEVER!

Toshiba say that the 5200-902 is only compatible with a particular card that only supports 802.11b NOT b and g (my network is g based, and I use the extra speed to streaming files).

So my question is aren't all mini-pci card slots the same and if so shouldn't I be able to use any card? such as this one http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi...oshibaShop=true :)

If it is compatible with the 5200-902 would I need to update the bios? and even if it isn't should I update the bios anyway?

Thanks very much in advance! :)

Guest Darkhalf2003

Wow you do a great job... THX :) :) :P

I update:

Cpad driver

Sound card driver

Toshiba Bluetooth Stack

Toshiba Power Saver Utility

I use:

cPax

TOSHiBA Virtual Sound

Everything work well.

:(

So my question is aren't all mini-pci card slots the same and if so shouldn't I be able to use any card?
RRR has just bought this card: http://www.wave-computer.de/wave/productDe...ml?artNr=LWMG03

for me and himself and he says it is working great so I think just any miniPCI card should work.

Also I was wondering, since you have the same model, could you please try this utility named MobileMeter and tell me what temperature it reads?

Wow you do a great job... THX

Most credits should go to RRR for starting up and maintaining the topic. Enjoy.

Also I was wondering, since you have the same model, could you please try this utility named MobileMeter and tell me what temperature it reads?

Sure :)

Here they are:

Frequency: 2.4GHz

Temperature: 56.0 Degrees C.

Charge Rate 0.00W

HDD: 28.0 Degrees C.

I've just started my computer up and looked at a few webpages - just in case you need to put the temperatures in context.

I understand that this model can run quite hot, I know mine certainly does when playing games! :)

Thank you Catt.

Yeah it runs hot while playing games (about 80 or more degrees). I was wondering if there was a problem with mine or thats the nature of the computer. Anyway optimum temperature of mine running normally (not games) is about 60-65C degrees.

And also something in mind; are you using cPax and if so do you have any problems after StandBy? Someone just reported that it doesn't work after StandBy and I want to know if that is a common problem or not.

Thanks.

^ I haven't installed the Cpax software so I couldn't say, I was thinking about it and if I do I'll let you know.

Will also give you some more figures for the processor temperature after I've been doing something a little more strenuous than simply starting it up and replying to your message. I know mine does get quite hot after a not inconsiderable length of time; and I think it is known for being a hot laptop.

I have noticed mine running hotter (and louder) than normal over the past few weeks. I'm wondering if dust has got in the fan and impeded airflow - but I can't really look without out taking the laptop apart :) which obviously I'd rather not!

I got mine back in May (ish) 2004 as an A-Grade Reconditioned unit from Toshiba, but I get the impression that it hadn't actually been used and if it had it had been reconditioned really, really well :)

I am very impressed with it - its incredibly powerful for a 2.4GHz P4M machine. Most of the reviews I've seen have shown it to beat 2.8GHz P4s and even 3.0GHz ones comfortabley because apparently it has a very fast memory architecture and a good motherboard.

Guest croftophile

Hello,

I am getting problems with HWsetup.cpl. I did many software upgrades and, as I recently read this post, looked at my softwares. So I realized that I can't launch HWsetup.cpl, as I get strange errors. From what I had previosly read, I uninstalled Toshiba Utilities and went back to the original one, which version is : 3.02.10.

Oh, sorry : I own a satellite 5200-701, 512 M RAM, 40 G HD, xin XP home SP2.

So first, I get this message : hwsetup_1.jpg

and then this other message :

hwsetup_2.jpg

What can I do to resolve my problem ?

By the way, I thank everybody for all the great information in this thread !!! :)

I suggest uninstalling everything related with Toshiba and reinstalling. Please try and see if that works.

If this happened recently you might try System Restore as well.

Guest croftophile

Thank you for your help. It was a bit of work uninstalling everything and trying some softwares versions... the result is first installing the base ones.

But the strangest is that after installing base ACPI drivers and utilities, it is quite possible to upgrade ACPI drivers.

By the way, as it is not possible to uninstall ACPI drivers, I had to do it "manually" and prevent system from auto-installing the ACPI drivers.

To reply to the guy who posted the newest release of bluetooth stack, first thx !! and it seems that I get better transfert speed to my phone.

Thank you for your help. It was a bit of work uninstalling everything and trying some softwares versions... the result is first installing the base ones.

But the strangest is that after installing base ACPI drivers and utilities, it is quite possible to upgrade ACPI drivers.

By the way, as it is not possible to uninstall ACPI drivers, I had to do it "manually" and prevent system from auto-installing the ACPI drivers.

Well, I had serious problems right after updating ACPI drivers, not sure if that was related to it but anyway I decided to always use the supplied ones with my model. Anyway so did you fix the problem?
To reply to the guy who posted the newest release of bluetooth stack, first thx !! and it seems that I get better transfert speed to my phone.

That should be me :P You're welcome. I assume you mean version 4. I haven't tested it yet since computer is at service :) RRR should update the main topic but he is busy nowadays. Hard to have no net at home I guess :)

Can I ask a question? I've got the toshiba 5205-s505 and my usb 2.0 is not transferring very fast, more like usb 1 speeds. I have a external hard drive and it works fast on my brother's computer but not on mine, it's slow. I have xp sp2, but that didn't help. Do I need to update anything else? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tropical Dream
Can I ask a question? I've got the toshiba 5205-s505 and my usb 2.0 is not transferring very fast, more like usb 1 speeds. I have a external hard drive and it works fast on my brother's computer but not on mine, it's slow. I have xp sp2, but that didn't help. Do I need to update anything else? Thanks

Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device manager

In the list find "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

Activate or Enable the "USB Enhanced Host Controller"

Changes of Bluetooth Stack 3.20.01 -> 4.00.01:

- Reduced user operations to make new connection entry.
- New Installer for supporting all languages.
- HID API is extended for Logitech SetPoint. 
- HID API is extended for CSR Auto Pairing. 
- Enabled the DUN(GPRS) feature.
- Bluetooth Keyboard(HID) utility to indicate key lock status.
- Administration and Import/Export tools.
- Chinese (Simplify, Traditional), Korean and some other 
 additional languages are added.
- The option dialogs of Bluetooth Settings, Bluetooth Information 
 Exchanger and Bluetooth Manager are integrated into one option 
 dialog.
- Service Level Security feature is added.  (The security settings 
 can be enabled/disabled for each profile.)
- Available to change or hide the icon of BT manager on the tasktray.
- Reduced the step of the express mode of the Bluetooth Settings.
- Bluetooth Information Exchanger icon can be placed on either desktop 
 or My Network folder.
- File(Object) transfer animation is displayed at the server side when 
 receiving the file(object) via OBEX.
- Name of Bluetooth Information Exchanger is localized.
- Bluetooth Information Exchanger can be launched from the start menu, 
 tasktray icon and the Bluetooth Settings.
- Added the Linkkey management feature.
- Linkkey is deleted automatically when user deletes registration from 
 Bluetooth Settings.
- Added simple diagnostics feature to check whether hardware is 
 working.  
- Changed uninstaller design to clean up the user data. 
 It is selectable.
- Added the feature to fix the COM port confliction issue.