LaptopVideo2Go Forums

53.63 + OEM inf = startup flicker

ofelas

I uninstalled the old drivers using Driver Cleaner 3 & Reg Cleaner, then installed 56.63 + OEM inf (NVDM) & find that I no longer have lid close/resume problems.

However, whenever the system starts up, there is a black out + flicker after the desktop loads...any idea what it is?

In addition, I cannot get 3DMark2001SE, 3DMark2003 & Aquamark3 to load so I can benchmark...all I can benchmark with is Cinebench2003 & Comanche 4 Benchmark.

And just for reference, this driver has my GPU running a CONSISTENT 10c cooler than any other driver out there while idling/normal apps...maybe the 2D settings are really clocked down...3D performance & upper temparatures are the same as with any other driver...so the driver still works the GPU during demanding apps/games.

Also, I notice my WorkStation apps under "Custom Open GL Application Settings" are all available to me, except for Adobe After Effects...that's useful that the choices are available...is this due to the "WSApps" & "AppPerf" lines in the NVDM.inf?

Looking at the lines in the inf made me realize just how much work & trouble the folks here go to in order to help us out...THANKS!

The screen blink is caused by the driver trying to set your clock speed. You can get rid of it (or at least reduce it) by going into the Clock Frequencies page of the nVidia Control Panel and checking the box "Apply Settings at Startup." (Leave the frequencies at their defaultl settings unless you want to overclock your card.)

But the blink doesn't hurt anything and isn't a sign of trouble, so you might just want to live with it.

Thanks...there are no settings for clock frequencies in the 56.63 control panel that i have on my system...also, i don't have CoolBits installed.

No problem with the flicker if it doesn't hurt anything...

No improvement over the Dell 53.82 driver with the Quadro FX Go700, except for the aforementioned 10c cooler GPU temp; any idea what could casue this excellent result?

Dell only has the 53.82 driver for the Quadro FX Go1000 as well, hoping it'll still be a good driver for the Quadro 1000, seeing as the 56.xx drivers provide support for the NV36...I guess it's a toss up between the 53.82 & 56.63...what say?

53.82 is the faster of the two and, being the highest in the 53.xx series has had most of the kinks worked out. However, the 56.xx series fixes some of the standby and lid problems people have encountered.

56.63 isn't quite as good as 56.72 (which is probably the best of the 56.xx series), but it's still a very good driver. I'd try both and pick whichever you prefer. You won't go wrong with either one.

So far the Dell 53.82 seems to serve me well with no issues, was just wondering why Dell didn't release a 56.xx series driver to take advantage of the Quadro FX Go1000...so that's why I was asking about the 56.xx series drivers on the Q FXGo1000...seems to address a few 5700/Ultra specific issues.