LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Microsoft AntiSpyware Tool

ofelas

Microsoft AntiSpyware Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

Excellent, fast & low memory usage; so good that I uninstalled Pest Patrol, SpyBot etc.

The link above will prompt you to 'validate' your copy of Windows XP; though I did, one can also choose the option to skip the validation process if one desires.

I agree. It looks like they did a nice job with it. It found a couple of things that SpyBot missed on my machine.

:)

I used the original - by Giant Software, who were bought out by Microsoft a couple weeks back - very nice; however, Microsoft has made Giant's already nice interface less cluttered & somewhat slicker.

Scuttlebutt says Microsoft is most likely going to incorporate the AntiSpyware Tool as part of the OS, as most attacks target Microsoft OSes; that doesn't bode well for the makers of competing products, as one has to pay for them.

hmm. who knows where this "validation" process will lead. I had heard about this a while ago but this is maybe the first time they have tried it out? In the future, they obviously intend to make it mandatory. See the FAQ here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads...?displaylang=en

I'm not concerned about functionality or anything, since I assume my Toshiba has genuine windows xp on it. But I can see that this is the type of thing that, once introduced, can "creep" to being used for more and more purposes unrelated to the original "verification of authenticity" purposes. In particular, the Faq says:

"The information is used for three purposes: Web page flow, demographics, and to confirm user input. Web page flow means tailoring pages presented based on the user's responses. Demographic information helps Microsoft to understand regional differences in Windows usage, and helps us tailor responses appropriately. User input is often compared against data collected from the PC in order to determine whether to grant a user?s request for additional access."

First, web page flow seems to work fine with cookies, which you have some control over. I dont really understand what they mean by "demographics", but I dont think I like it, and on principle I dont like the introduction of these kinds of extra purposes. And the "user input" purpose completely mystifies me.

Plus, I dont know what for instance PID-SID is, or whether when you visit a passport site it can read the unique "key" placed on your computer by the Genuine Verification, and so create the possibility of combining information to identify you, but given that stuff like the PATRIOT Act and that makes it mandatory for Microsoft to turn over any information they have on you to the government, and to keep the fact of having done this secret from you, this is all a bit worrisome. It could bring back the "processor serial number" that was firmly rejected by the debate at that time.

anyway, its great that microsoft are at least doing something about the problem of spyware, but ill stick with ad-aware for now, and spybot, since this whole verification process sounds to me a little bit like... spyware!

Good point; however, as pointed out in the first post, the validation process is ENTIRELY optional, and not required at all to download the file.

It's sort of like the Active X control that Windows Update/Office Update installs, except that it's not required as per Privacy Agreements.

Validation is a short process that enables you to verify that your copy of Windows is genuine. You will be prompted to complete the validation process if you request a download of genuine Microsoft software from the Microsoft Download Center. If you choose not to validate your software, you may still obtain your requested download. However, validating now enables faster access to the Download Center in the future when validation may be required
Validation is currently recommended, but not required. Should it become required in the future, only users of Windows XP and Windows 2000 customers (client, not server) will be required to validate.
Validation is a short process that enables you to verify that your copy of Windows is genuine. If you request a genuine Windows download from the Microsoft Download Center, you will be prompted to complete the validation process. You may choose not to validate your Windows and still obtain your requested download. However, validating now will enable faster access to the Download Center in the future when validation may be required. After successful validation, a Microsoft Windows Download Key will be stored on your system for future use. Following the validation process, you'll be taken back to the initial download details page to obtain your requested download.