LaptopVideo2Go Forums

OT: Do I have enough Hard Disk Drives?

Bill

Do I have enough Hard Disk Drives?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do I have enough Hard Disk Drives?

• Yes
    • No
    • You are teh crazy!!!!!111

Well what do you guys think? :) :jumpyjoy: :) :P

Update: Please scroll down to see my new pics....

Edit: Just a few GBs short of 400 GBs total space......

Need that for UT levels right? :)

My Unreal Tournament 2004 folder is only about 12.7 GB right now, so no, thats not it. :)

While I do have more UT2004 levels than I have Gigabytes of storage space :) , I will use a lot of it for other stuff, like a big chunck of it for video capturing and editing.

I can capture at up to 720x480 NTSC @ 30 FPS or whatever the PAL equivelent is.

Please vote and post in this thread if you are reading it, should make for some good laughs lol.

• 4 months later...

Update, here is what I have right now.

laptopdrives.jpg

To see how much space I have on JUST the Hard Disk Drives, (4 right now) check out this pic.

diskspace_June_7_2005.jpg

If you are wondering, here is what I see when I use remote desktop connection....

Desktop_PC_over_Remote_Desktop_Connection.jpg

Now my question is, would any of you that already voted change your vote if you could now?

Need to clean up my Hard drives, and get ready for more capturing.....

hdspace.png

What do I win? :)

This is missing ~600GB, and could actually be a quite a bit larger. I'll see how much I really have shortly. :)

How do you have all of this connected? I wish I had more space, but more space means more stuff I'd have to figure out how to backup.

How do you have all of this connected?  I wish I had more space, but more space means more stuff I'd have to figure out how to backup.
Are you talking to me or Ronin?

I have 2 HDDs in my laptop, and 1 external (USB2 right now) plugged up, which has 2 partitions, then the other 3 drives (they are actually 3 partitions on one 160 GB drive) are on the desktop PC on the other side of our house, they are accessed over the network.

You can have pretty much as many drives as you want with the network, and before anybody says you can only have 26 letters, you can map some drives to folders I think, so you could have a drive with 100 folders which could be 100 individual drives on 100 different PCs. Each of those drives could be a 500 GB HDD too, for example, although there is a limit somewhere I think, atleast, for one phsysical NTSC drive/partition, don't know how mapping folders affects it or not, but I think the limit was maybe 27 TB, not sure, just a number that popped into my head.

Ronin told me on AIM that he has about 10 TB or so total, he is on a desktop PC, and there is no telling how many PCs he has access too, just take a look at his sig for example.

You could easily fit like ten 500 GB HDDs in one desktop PC, if you had the money, then put them on a 1000 base-T network and your smoking, or maybe a firewire 800 network or if they are close to each other something faster maybe?

I can only think of maybe E-SATA right now, with a like a add on box for your PC that just has HDDs in it......

To set up the drives on my network, I accessed our desktop through remote desktop connection (cause I'm lazy, walking around the house is bad for my health :) ), then right clicked on the drives I wanted to share from that PC, which in this case is all of them lol, then hit sharing or whatever, and checked the box "share this folder on a network" then I put in the name it should go by, if I shared one from this PC, I could name it "C drive on Bills I8200" or something like that.

Then I would explore our network, and go into the workgroup that our PCs are on, go into the desktop PC, which in this case had all the drives, and the printer I am sharing, then right clicked on the shared drive I wanted to access, then right click and hit map this network drive, or something like that, then I mapped them to drive letters on my PC, which can be accessed from my computer just as if the drives were on my PC.

I started with the letter Z and went backwards, and windows started with the letter Z by default too, which is nice.

I do sorta have them in a kind of order, although it doesn't matter, and I might change them too...

I would also like to point out that I can capture video from my DV camcorder over to the drive on our desktop PC straight through the 100 Mbps network, hehe.....

(It works best on my local Hitachi 7K60 of course though, so that is what I will do most of my capturing on, either that or my external drive, it can even capture good to USB2, most of the time....)

Anyway, enough of my blabbering, :) anybody else want to post their killer setup?

(or c**py setup if that is the case)

Edit: Ronin said that 10 TB was a conservative number for him, if he tried to keep track of it all he might get confused, he apparently has a lot more than 26 drives he could map...........

That was an open ended question to anyone, really.

Right now I have

1 desktop with 2 - 20G drives

1 laptop with 1 @ 40G

1 external notebook drive @ 30G (USB)

1 external PATA @ 120G (Firewire). Meager setup :)

250G total. But not are all spare storage devices and one drive is partitioned. I can't do much network sharing as my desktop LOVES to crash with a blue screen when I do. I think the problem lies somewhere in the hardware but can't trace it.

Your desktop only has 40 GB internal? :)

And the laptop only has 40 GB? (I can almost understand this one, but then again I could get 200 GB in this laptop if wanted too...)

If you need more space hard drive prices haver really dropped, I got my 160 GB drive last year, which, before rebates was $130, now you can 160 GB hard drives for about $80 on newegg, although the good Seagate ones will cost more of course....

You need to install a 250 GB Hard drive in your desktop and use firewire to share it over the network.... :)