LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Sudden Black Out

Guest won

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 with GeForce 4 440 Go 64Mb, which was upgraded from GeForce 2.

About a couple days ago, I noticed a sudden black out of the LCD Screen. It came back to normal about a few seconds later, but this effect became more and more frequent and sometimes never comes back. Then I had to force it to turn off.

If I turn it on again without resting, I see some stripes on the Dell Logo and boot with black out screen. If I rest it for some time, a few minutes to hours, it boot on properly. After I use it sometimes, then I see the black out again.

I installed the StarStorm 53.03 driver. I noticed the performance got much faster and the number of black out event reduced, but I still see it sometimes.

Would it be a problem of hardware?

It makes me scared since I'm afraid if i might see a black out one day and it never comes back.

I think that way too. One thing I wonder is that time pattern is pretty irregular. Sometimes it blacks out within 30 minutes and now I'm using it more than two hours. I might have to back up all the important data.

Make sure the cable from the LCD is seated securely on the video card.

Try the above first, failiing this try editing the INF.

Look of a section called '[nv_tweaks]' (in my modded INFs)

Under here add the following line:

HKR,, PushBufferMemorySpace, %REG_DWORD%, 3

Reinstall driver and see how you go.

This line fixed my blackouts on my Machine, but it hasn't happened since 4x.xx.

Give it a try.

Pieter.